Re: embedding VIM

  • Benoit Cerrina
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2001

      > I'm trying to embed gvim into another Windows program (the Eclipse IDE,
      > written in Java). I've got gvim displaying correctly in a Java window and

      Great idea. Also this agrees with the phylosophy that vim is an editor and
      not a debugger/os/emacs and that advanced non editor related functions
      should
      come from outside programs (eclipse in this case) so you have some good
      chance
      to get Bram's support(you'll have to wait for his return to be sure though).

      > accepting mouse events, but it's not getting keyboard events. I suspect
      > this is because the top-level window isn't registering vim's widget as
      > having keyboard focus. I think I can fix that, but in the process of
      > looking around I found that vim wants to do its own event processing
      (using
      > GetMessage()). This conflicts with Eclipse, which also seems to want to
      do
      > that. I think that KVim ran into this and they ended up implementing an
      > out-of-process solution.
      can't you forward the appropriate messages from Eclipse to vim?

      > Is making vim embeddable on the to-do list? What's the priority? I
      suppose
      > that letting go of the event loop would be the first thing that needs to
      be
      > done.
      I think it is.

      > Should I give up and go for an out-of-process solution as well, maybe
      using
      > the new client/server code in vim? I really like the Eclipse IDE, but my
      > productivity will drop if I can't use vim to edit code. Having a floating
      > gvim that sorta communicates with Eclipse might work, but wouldn't be
      ideal.
      Please don't give up! This would be really great!
      Benoit