RE: Determining type of an object.

  • Kesteloot, Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
      Benji Fisher wrote:
      > I am not sure what you want. It is common, in a script, to save and
      > restore the cursor position. You can use the Mark() function in my file
      of
      > example vim functions,
      > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=72

      It's true that you can get out of insert mode, but that's actually tricky
      to do, especially if you have to handle being at the end of the line
      (and doing an "a" instead of an "i" to get back). It would be nice if
      many of vim's clever actions were made available through functions.
      Specifically, the other day I wanted to find out the name of the file
      that ":tag" would go to given some text. Actually performing the
      tagging operation is fairly destructive, but there's really no other
      way to get that information right now. Same with "gd", which does some
      clever things not easily reproduceable in script.

      In general insert-mode macros would be far easier to write and would
      be more professional if they could remain in insert mode and do all
      their work behind the scenes, using features like <C-R>= and so on.

      Vim is mature enough that work should probably concentrate on making
      the language more full-featured (by adding functions mostly) and
      making vim a stand-alone library that can be embedded into other IDEs.

      (And speaking of stand-alone libraries, it would be good to pull out
      the part that does the client-server stuff in an OS-neutral way so that
      people can write clients without having to dig into the OS-specific code
      of vim too much.)

      Lawrence
      For optimum solutions that save you time, visit www.ds-s.com.