LyX/GVim Paste incompatibility on Lyx 1.1.6fix1 and 1.1.6fix3

  • Steve Litt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      I've found substantial paste incompatibilities between LyX and GVim (GUI
      Vim), which is a shame because I use these daily in my creation of my new
      117,000 word book on Troubleshooting. Hopefully this can be resolved,
      possibly with collaboration of the LyX and Vim development teams.

      COPYING FROM LYX TO GVIM
      If you select LyX text, hit Ctrl+C, and then paste into gVim, the paste works
      but it terminates the LyX session.

      COPYING FROM GVIM TO LYX

      If you paste more than about 120 substantial lines Vim into LyX, it will hang
      LyX and consume huge amounts of CPU. I've reproduced this on
      Lyx 1.1.6fix1 (Mandrake 8.0) and 1.1.6fix3 (Mandrake 8.1), with gvim 6.0z and
      6.0av respectively.

      This symptom can be reproduced as follows:
      * Open a new LyX file and save as junk.lyx
      * In VIM, create a file consisting of 200 lines of the following string:

      one two three four five six seven eight nine ten

      * Copy the file with gg"*yG

      * In LyX, paste with the middle mouse button (or left and right together if
      2button mouse)

      * Notice that LyX will hang, and top or other CPU monitoring program will
      show CPU binding.

      I can work around this with a "man in the middle" editor or viewer, but it
      would be wonderful if this could be fixed.

      Thanks

      Steve

      --
      Steve Litt