Re: more questions on ":" motions

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Here are some more questions about ":" motions coming from matchit.vim.
      >
      > 1. According to the rules under :help exclusive, if an exclusive motion ends
      > on column 1 of some line, it is changed to the last character of the previous
      > line and made inclusive. In other words, the EOL is not removed. This is the
      > behavior I want, since I am really trying to fake an inclusive motion.
      > However, the EOL seems to be removed.
      >
      > Example: make a line with a single word and no spaces. Then "w" takes
      > you to the next line. (Make sure a character is in column 1.) Since "w" is
      > exclusive, "dw" deletes your word and leaves you with an empty line. Since
      > ":/.<CR>" is exclusive, I expect the same behavior, but it deletes the line.

      The other rule is that the motion becomes linewise if it ends in column
      1 and starts in the indent of the first line. However, it seems it
      includes the line, which is not expected. Compare "d/^" and "d:/^".

      Note that "dw" is a bit special, "w" behaves differently after an
      operator. That's an old Vi trick.

      > 2. If I try to redo "d:/.<CR>" with "." then it seems to redo "d:". Is there
      > any way to get it to redo the whole delete command?

      Not yet. Changes done by ":" command can't be redone with ".". If you
      use an operator with a ":" movement command it can't be redone either.
      Would be difficult to implement (would have to remember the command
      line, which could be something complicated, like a ":while" loop...).

      --
      BEDEVERE: And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.