Re: problem with patch 6.0.046

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > > > Vim-Dev guys and gals:
      > > >
      > > > I tried to apply a bunch of patches yesterday, and one of the patches
      > > > failed. I think it was 6.0.046. The problem was with the "configure"
      > > > file, I think. Has anyone else had trouble?
      > >
      > > Did you have a problem including the patch or did you have problems
      > > compiling Vim after including the patch? If it's the last, then include
      > > patch 6.0.052.
      >
      > The problem was in applying the patch, not compiling. I even tried a
      > clean rm -r vim60, unpack the .tar.gz files, and apply all the patches in
      > sequence. This was on Mac OS X, but I was just working in a shell, so
      > I doubt that this matters. The patch program is the GNU version.

      Strange, there is nothing really special about this patch. But I can
      guess one potential problem: It patches the file "src/auto/configure",
      while a "configure" file also appears in the "src" and the top
      directory. Perhaps it attempted to change the wrong file? Try using
      "patch -p".

      --
      FIRST SOLDIER: So they wouldn't be able to bring a coconut back anyway.
      SECOND SOLDIER: Wait a minute! Suppose two swallows carried it together?

    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 09:36 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Strange, there is nothing really special about this patch. But I can
        > guess one potential problem: It patches the file "src/auto/configure",
        > while a "configure" file also appears in the "src" and the top
        > directory. Perhaps it attempted to change the wrong file? Try using
        > "patch -p".

        OK, I have looked into the problem. First, I made a mistake when I
        identified the problem patch: it was 6.0.003, the other patch that
        affects the configure files. Second, the problem does seem to be with
        patching the wrong file. I split the patch into three pieces, applied
        the separately, and got it to work by specifying the file to be patched.

        First possibility: I am using the -p option incorrectly. (I am
        new to patch, after all.) The patch starts off

        *** ../vim60.1/src/auto/configure Mon Sep 10 11:39:17 2001
        --- src/auto/configure Thu Sep 27 22:20:19 2001

        so I go to my vim60/ directory and do

        % patch -p2 << ../patches/6.0.003

        If I read man patch correctly, that should work. Am I confused?

        Second possibility: there is something wrong with my patch program.

        % patch --version
        patch 2.5.4
        [...]

        Is this an old version?

        Thanks for the help.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Dan Sharp
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          >From: Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...>
          >
          >*** ../vim60.1/src/auto/configure Mon Sep 10 11:39:17 2001
          >--- src/auto/configure Thu Sep 27 22:20:19 2001
          >
          >so I go to my vim60/ directory and do
          >
          >% patch -p2 << ../patches/6.0.003

          You want to use -p0 instead of -p2 . The patch is trying to patch, relative
          to the current directory (vim60 in your case), src/auto/configure. The -p2
          means "strip off the first two directories of the file to patch" so the
          src/auto is being removed and it is trying to patch configure in the current
          directory. -p0 means "don't remove any directories" and will correctly
          patch src/auto/configure.

          Dan Sharp

        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
            On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 11:04 AM, Dan Sharp wrote:

            >> From: Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...>
            >>
            >> *** ../vim60.1/src/auto/configure Mon Sep 10 11:39:17 2001
            >> --- src/auto/configure Thu Sep 27 22:20:19 2001
            >>
            >> so I go to my vim60/ directory and do
            >>
            >> % patch -p2 << ../patches/6.0.003
            >
            > You want to use -p0 instead of -p2 . The patch is trying to patch,
            > relative to the current directory (vim60 in your case),
            > src/auto/configure. The -p2 means "strip off the first two directories
            > of the file to patch" so the src/auto is being removed and it is trying
            > to patch configure in the current directory. -p0 means "don't remove
            > any directories" and will correctly patch src/auto/configure.

            Thanks, it works now. My mistake was thinking that -p2 applied to
            the *** line and not the --- line.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001