Re: problem with patch 6.0.046

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > I tried to apply a bunch of patches yesterday, and one of the patches
      > failed. I think it was 6.0.046. The problem was with the "configure" file, I
      > think. Has anyone else had trouble?

      Nope, just did that no trouble. patch cored on a later
      non-UNIX patch, mind, but that doesn't matter.

      --
      [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
      [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Vim-Dev guys and gals:
        >
        > I tried to apply a bunch of patches yesterday, and one of the patches
        > failed. I think it was 6.0.046. The problem was with the "configure"
        > file, I think. Has anyone else had trouble?

        Did you have a problem including the patch or did you have problems
        compiling Vim after including the patch? If it's the last, then include
        patch 6.0.052.

        --
        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
        -- Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) (1835-1910)

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          Benji Fisher wrote:

          > > > Vim-Dev guys and gals:
          > > >
          > > > I tried to apply a bunch of patches yesterday, and one of the patches
          > > > failed. I think it was 6.0.046. The problem was with the "configure"
          > > > file, I think. Has anyone else had trouble?
          > >
          > > Did you have a problem including the patch or did you have problems
          > > compiling Vim after including the patch? If it's the last, then include
          > > patch 6.0.052.
          >
          > The problem was in applying the patch, not compiling. I even tried a
          > clean rm -r vim60, unpack the .tar.gz files, and apply all the patches in
          > sequence. This was on Mac OS X, but I was just working in a shell, so
          > I doubt that this matters. The patch program is the GNU version.

          Strange, there is nothing really special about this patch. But I can
          guess one potential problem: It patches the file "src/auto/configure",
          while a "configure" file also appears in the "src" and the top
          directory. Perhaps it attempted to change the wrong file? Try using
          "patch -p".

          --
          FIRST SOLDIER: So they wouldn't be able to bring a coconut back anyway.
          SECOND SOLDIER: Wait a minute! Suppose two swallows carried it together?

        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
            On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 09:36 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Strange, there is nothing really special about this patch. But I can
            > guess one potential problem: It patches the file "src/auto/configure",
            > while a "configure" file also appears in the "src" and the top
            > directory. Perhaps it attempted to change the wrong file? Try using
            > "patch -p".

            OK, I have looked into the problem. First, I made a mistake when I
            identified the problem patch: it was 6.0.003, the other patch that
            affects the configure files. Second, the problem does seem to be with
            patching the wrong file. I split the patch into three pieces, applied
            the separately, and got it to work by specifying the file to be patched.

            First possibility: I am using the -p option incorrectly. (I am
            new to patch, after all.) The patch starts off

            *** ../vim60.1/src/auto/configure Mon Sep 10 11:39:17 2001
            --- src/auto/configure Thu Sep 27 22:20:19 2001

            so I go to my vim60/ directory and do

            % patch -p2 << ../patches/6.0.003

            If I read man patch correctly, that should work. Am I confused?

            Second possibility: there is something wrong with my patch program.

            % patch --version
            patch 2.5.4
            [...]

            Is this an old version?

            Thanks for the help.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Dan Sharp
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
              >From: Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...>
              >
              >*** ../vim60.1/src/auto/configure Mon Sep 10 11:39:17 2001
              >--- src/auto/configure Thu Sep 27 22:20:19 2001
              >
              >so I go to my vim60/ directory and do
              >
              >% patch -p2 << ../patches/6.0.003

              You want to use -p0 instead of -p2 . The patch is trying to patch, relative
              to the current directory (vim60 in your case), src/auto/configure. The -p2
              means "strip off the first two directories of the file to patch" so the
              src/auto is being removed and it is trying to patch configure in the current
              directory. -p0 means "don't remove any directories" and will correctly
              patch src/auto/configure.

              Dan Sharp

            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
                On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 11:04 AM, Dan Sharp wrote:

                >> From: Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...>
                >>
                >> *** ../vim60.1/src/auto/configure Mon Sep 10 11:39:17 2001
                >> --- src/auto/configure Thu Sep 27 22:20:19 2001
                >>
                >> so I go to my vim60/ directory and do
                >>
                >> % patch -p2 << ../patches/6.0.003
                >
                > You want to use -p0 instead of -p2 . The patch is trying to patch,
                > relative to the current directory (vim60 in your case),
                > src/auto/configure. The -p2 means "strip off the first two directories
                > of the file to patch" so the src/auto is being removed and it is trying
                > to patch configure in the current directory. -p0 means "don't remove
                > any directories" and will correctly patch src/auto/configure.

                Thanks, it works now. My mistake was thinking that -p2 applied to
                the *** line and not the --- line.

                --Benji Fisher
              • Benji Fisher
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001