Vim Outliner alpha available

  • Ned Konz
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
      I've written the beginnings of a complete outliner using Vim 6.0. You can
      take a look at the work in progress at:

      http://bike-nomad.com/vim/vimoutliner.html

      If you're interested, please download it and play with it. As I say on the
      web page, it's nowhere near release level (at least it needs documentation
      and tags generation capabilities), but I use it for writing daily.

      I'd like to hear about bug reports, suggestions, etc.

      Thanks,
      --
      Ned Konz
      currently: Stanwood, WA
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        could you post an explaination of what you mean by outliner?
        Benoit

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Thursday 01 November 2001 12:42 am, Benoit Cerrina wrote:

          > could you post an explaination of what you mean by outliner?

          Sure...

          An outliner is an editor for hierarchically structured text or other content.

          The first outliners appeared back in the '80's (ThinkTank, More!,
          and Ready come to mind), but have not survived as a separate product
          category.

          However, their legacy lives on in modern projects.
          Probably the best known example of them is the
          Outline View in Microsoft Word.
          I've adopted this model for my outliner.
          Of course, Vim outlines are pure text instead
          of a M$ proprietary file format.

          Here's the model:

          Headlines establish a hierarchy.

          Headline levels are determined by their indenting (1 tab per headline level).

          Headlines may be collapsed, in which case you just see the headline
          and the first line of its text, if any, but not any of its sub-headlines.

          Operations on headlines affect their text as well as subheads.
          These include:
          * Promote/Demote (decrease/increase the indent)
          * Cut
          * Paste before/after
          * Yank (copy)

          You can quickly determine how many levels you want to display,
          so you can zoom into and out of the structure.
          If you do (for instance) \2 then only levels 0, 1, and 2 will be shown.

          Headlines may have attached text.
          I've used comment characters to mark text blocks,
          so a piece of an outline with text might look like:

          Level 0
          Level 1
          | Level 1's text
          Level 2
          | level 2 text
          | another line
          Another Level 1 heading
          Another level 2 heading

          Because there's both text and headlines, I've also supplied two operations
          that extract a subset of the outline to another buffer/window:

          * Extract text (gets all the text, removes comment characters, reformats).
          Will include headings marked with "+" signs.

          * Extract heads

          Also see some web sites that discuss outliners:
          http://www.outliners.com/
          http://frontier.userland.com/stories/storyReader$307
          http://john.redmood.com/organizers.html