ASCII table in vim help?

  • Piet Delport
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi all,

      I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned before, but are
      there any objections to including an ASCII table (and possibly other
      miscellaneous pieces of reference text) into the Vim help? Can hardly
      count the number of times i had the impulse to just type :h ascii-table
      when i wanted to look something up...

      This kind of thing is probably better-suited to a local help file, come
      to think of it, but a simple ASCII table specifically might be useful to
      a large enough number of people to warrant inclusion into the main Vim
      help.

      Thoughts?

      --
      Piet Delport <siberiyan@...>
      Today's subliminal thought is:
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
        * Piet Delport <siberiyan@...> [31-Oct-01 01:32 -0800]:
        [...]
        >I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned
        >before, but are there any objections to including an
        >ASCII table (and possibly other miscellaneous pieces of
        >reference text) into the Vim help? Can hardly count the
        >number of times i had the impulse to just type :h
        >ascii-table when i wanted to look something up...
        >
        >This kind of thing is probably better-suited to a local
        >help file, come to think of it, but a simple ASCII table
        >specifically might be useful to a large enough number of
        >people to warrant inclusion into the main Vim help.
        [...]

        dont know if this has been proposed before, but it
        definitely sounds like a good idea.

        denis

        --
        // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
        // icq : 12359698
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
          On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:51:19AM -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
          > * Piet Delport <siberiyan@...> [31-Oct-01 01:32 -0800]:
          > [...]
          > >I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned
          > >before, but are there any objections to including an
          > >ASCII table (and possibly other miscellaneous pieces of

          I would suggest (on a Unix-like system).

          :!man ascii

          Or if you have the excellent Man.vim plugin

          :Man ascii

          --
          Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix
        • Adam Seyfarth
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
            Hello -

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned before, but are
            > there any objections to including an ASCII table (and possibly other
            > miscellaneous pieces of reference text) into the Vim help? Can hardly
            > count the number of times i had the impulse to just type :h ascii-table
            > when i wanted to look something up...

            Well, there is ":help digraph-table"...but it's kind of weird, I think this
            should be made as a tip on vimonline. Also, I wrote this up:
            http://members.home.net/adam.seyfarth/misc/ascii_table.txt
            I use that as a local help file.

            HTH

            --
            Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
            to take effect. Reboot now?

            /|| Adam Seyfarth <http://members.home.net/adam.seyfarth/> ||\ /"\
            /«|| <cloud@...> ASCII Ribbon, HTML-free email ||»\ \ /
            \«|| GU d-- s+: a---- C++ UL+>+++ P-- L++ E-- W++ N++ o K- w-- ||»/ X
            \|| O M- V- PE- Y PGP- t 5 X R tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e-- h! !r !y+ ||/ / \
          • Benoit Cerrina
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
              > I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned before, but are
              > there any objections to including an ASCII table (and possibly other
              > miscellaneous pieces of reference text) into the Vim help? Can hardly
              > count the number of times i had the impulse to just type :h ascii-table
              > when i wanted to look something up...
              >
              > This kind of thing is probably better-suited to a local help file, come
              > to think of it, but a simple ASCII table specifically might be useful to
              > a large enough number of people to warrant inclusion into the main Vim
              > help.
              >
              > Thoughts?
              >
              > --
              > Piet Delport <siberiyan@...>
              > Today's subliminal thought is:

              I'd vote for it and like you said it might just be a script posted to
              vim.online
              for those who wants to put it in a local help.
              Benoit
            • Benoit Cerrina
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001

                > I would suggest (on a Unix-like system).
                >
                > :!man ascii
                >
                > Or if you have the excellent Man.vim plugin
                >
                > :Man ascii
                >
                > --
                > Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix

                but you are not always in one.
                then maybe just included in the win32 vim distrib
                Benoit
              • Benoit Cerrina
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001

                  > Well, there is ":help digraph-table"...but it's kind of weird, I think
                  this
                  > should be made as a tip on vimonline. Also, I wrote this up:
                  > http://members.home.net/adam.seyfarth/misc/ascii_table.txt
                  > I use that as a local help file.
                  >
                  > HTH

                  go ahead post it... you may want to add a tag (*ascii-table* *ascii*) to the
                  top and correct a few misaligned |
                  I already have put it in my local-help thanks
                  Benoit
                • Adam Seyfarth
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
                    Hello Benoit -

                    It's posted, http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=151 .

                    > you may want to add a tag (*ascii-table* *ascii*) to the

                    That would be a good idea, thanks!

                    > top and correct a few misaligned |

                    Hmm, there aren't any misaligned for me...perhaps :set modeline will help? I
                    can imagine the <Tab> being wrong...or perhaps 'isprint' is different (for me
                    it's "isprint=@,161-255")...

                    --
                    Bender [singing]: ``Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care.
                    Leila crack corn, I still don't care. Bender crack corn,

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
                      * Danie Roux <droux@...> [31-Oct-01 11:07 -0800]:

                      >On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:51:19AM -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
                      >> * Piet Delport <siberiyan@...> [31-Oct-01 01:32 -0800]:
                      >> [...]
                      >> >I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned
                      >> >before, but are there any objections to including an
                      >> >ASCII table (and possibly other miscellaneous pieces of
                      >
                      >I would suggest (on a Unix-like system).
                      >
                      >:!man ascii
                      >
                      >Or if you have the excellent Man.vim plugin
                      >
                      >:Man ascii
                      >
                      >--
                      >Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix

                      that works, but I am on a win2k system at work, so now i
                      have to go check my webpage every time i need to look things
                      up... I dont know if the rest of the operating systems vim
                      runs on also has 'man ascii' or equivalent.... i guess
                      various unix systems have /pub/ascii or something of that
                      nature (i dont remember the exact location), but it'd be
                      nice to have that as 'help', especially since its not
                      heavy-weight, and neither does it require any sort of
                      implementation complexity...

                      denis

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001

                        > Hmm, there aren't any misaligned for me...perhaps :set modeline will help?
                        > can imagine the <Tab> being wrong...or perhaps 'isprint' is different (for
                        me
                        > it's "isprint=@,161-255")...
                        >

                        > --

                        ok for me those are the line which are misaligned:
                        13
                        127-160
                        Benoit
                      • Benoit Cerrina
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001

                          > > Hmm, there aren't any misaligned for me...perhaps :set modeline will
                          help?
                          > > can imagine the <Tab> being wrong...or perhaps 'isprint' is different
                          (for
                          > me
                          > > it's "isprint=@,161-255")...
                          > >

                          > > --
                          > >
                          > ok for me those are the line which are misaligned:
                          > 13
                          > 127-160
                          > Benoit

                          By the way those should probably show up as control char but don't
                          Benoit
                        • Adam Seyfarth
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
                            Hello Benoit -

                            > > > Hmm, there aren't any misaligned for me...perhaps :set modeline will
                            > help?
                            > > > can imagine the <Tab> being wrong...or perhaps 'isprint' is different
                            > (for
                            > > me
                            > > > it's "isprint=@,161-255")...
                            > > >

                            > > > --
                            > > >
                            > > ok for me those are the line which are misaligned:
                            > > 13
                            > > 127-160
                            > > Benoit

                            I'm guessing you mean the ascii values of 13,127-160, the line 127 is the '{'
                            char...

                            > By the way those should probably show up as control char but don't

                            Yes, the they should be control chars, they are for me... Are they off by one
                            space?
                          • Piet Delport
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
                              [format recovered]

                              On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 at 16:34:32 -0600, Adam Seyfarth wrote:
                              > Hello Benoit -
                              >> Benoit wrote:

                              >>> ok for me those are the line which are misaligned:
                              >>> 13
                              >>> 127-160
                              >
                              > I'm guessing you mean the ascii values of 13,127-160, the line 127 is
                              > the '{' char...
                              >
                              >> By the way those should probably show up as control char but don't
                              >
                              > Yes, the they should be control chars, they are for me... Are they
                              > off by one space?

                              I think it's a bad idea to use any raw control characters at all, and
                              better to just stick to everyday ASCII ones. At the very least all the
                              control characters should be replaced by two-character "^?" sequences,
                              methinks.

                              And while i'm on the subject, i'm personally not too keen on the very
                              verbose vertical listing. :-) I had something more like this in mind:

                              00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
                              +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
                              00 | 00 nul| 01 soh| 02 stx| 03 etx| 04 eot| 05 enq| 06 ack| 07 bel|
                              08 | 08 bs | 09 ht | 0A nl | 0B vt | 0C np | 0D cr | 0E so | 0F si |
                              10 | 10 dle| 11 dc1| 12 dc2| 13 dc3| 14 dc4| 15 nak| 16 syn| 17 etb|
                              18 | 18 can| 19 em | 1A sub| 1B esc| 1C fs | 1D gs | 1E rs | 1F us |
                              20 | 20 spc| 21 ! | 22 " | 23 # | 24 $ | 25 % | 26 & | 27 ' |
                              28 | 28 ( | 29 ) | 2A * | 2B + | 2C , | 2D - | 2E . | 2F / |
                              30 | 30 0 | 31 1 | 32 2 | 33 3 | 34 4 | 35 5 | 36 6 | 37 7 |
                              38 | 38 8 | 39 9 | 3A : | 3B ; | 3C < | 3D = | 3E > | 3F ? |
                              40 | 40 @ | 41 A | 42 B | 43 C | 44 D | 45 E | 46 F | 47 G |
                              48 | 48 H | 49 I | 4A J | 4B K | 4C L | 4D M | 4E N | 4F O |
                              50 | 50 P | 51 Q | 52 R | 53 S | 54 T | 55 U | 56 V | 57 W |
                              58 | 58 X | 59 Y | 5A Z | 5B [ | 5C \ | 5D ] | 5E ^ | 5F _ |
                              60 | 60 ` | 61 a | 62 b | 63 c | 64 d | 65 e | 66 f | 67 g |
                              68 | 68 h | 69 i | 6A j | 6B k | 6C l | 6D m | 6E n | 6F o |
                              70 | 70 p | 71 q | 72 r | 73 s | 74 t | 75 u | 76 v | 77 w |
                              78 | 78 x | 79 y | 7A z | 7B { | 7C | | 7D } | 7E ~ | 7F del|
                              +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+

                              (a work-in-progress that is based off FreeBSD's /usr/share/misc/ascii)

                              Thoughts?

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                                > I'm guessing you mean the ascii values of 13,127-160, the line 127 is the
                                '{'
                                > char...
                                correct, sorry

                                > > By the way those should probably show up as control char but don't
                                >
                                > Yes, the they should be control chars, they are for me... Are they off by
                                one
                                > space?

                                yes this is why I guessed they were supposed to be control characters, they
                                show up as black box... except for 13 which is not shown and off by 2.
                                Benoit
                              • Benoit Cerrina
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001

                                  > I think it's a bad idea to use any raw control characters at all, and
                                  > better to just stick to everyday ASCII ones. At the very least all the
                                  > control characters should be replaced by two-character "^?" sequences,
                                  > methinks.
                                  Yes

                                  > And while i'm on the subject, i'm personally not too keen on the very
                                  > verbose vertical listing. :-) I had something more like this in mind:
                                  >
                                  > 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
                                  > +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
                                  > 00 | 00 nul| 01 soh| 02 stx| 03 etx| 04 eot| 05 enq| 06 ack| 07 bel|
                                  > 08 | 08 bs | 09 ht | 0A nl | 0B vt | 0C np | 0D cr | 0E so | 0F si |
                                  > 10 | 10 dle| 11 dc1| 12 dc2| 13 dc3| 14 dc4| 15 nak| 16 syn| 17 etb|
                                  > 18 | 18 can| 19 em | 1A sub| 1B esc| 1C fs | 1D gs | 1E rs | 1F us |
                                  > 20 | 20 spc| 21 ! | 22 " | 23 # | 24 $ | 25 % | 26 & | 27 ' |
                                  > 28 | 28 ( | 29 ) | 2A * | 2B + | 2C , | 2D - | 2E . | 2F / |
                                  > 30 | 30 0 | 31 1 | 32 2 | 33 3 | 34 4 | 35 5 | 36 6 | 37 7 |
                                  > 38 | 38 8 | 39 9 | 3A : | 3B ; | 3C < | 3D = | 3E > | 3F ? |
                                  > 40 | 40 @ | 41 A | 42 B | 43 C | 44 D | 45 E | 46 F | 47 G |
                                  > 48 | 48 H | 49 I | 4A J | 4B K | 4C L | 4D M | 4E N | 4F O |
                                  > 50 | 50 P | 51 Q | 52 R | 53 S | 54 T | 55 U | 56 V | 57 W |
                                  > 58 | 58 X | 59 Y | 5A Z | 5B [ | 5C \ | 5D ] | 5E ^ | 5F _ |
                                  > 60 | 60 ` | 61 a | 62 b | 63 c | 64 d | 65 e | 66 f | 67 g |
                                  > 68 | 68 h | 69 i | 6A j | 6B k | 6C l | 6D m | 6E n | 6F o |
                                  > 70 | 70 p | 71 q | 72 r | 73 s | 74 t | 75 u | 76 v | 77 w |
                                  > 78 | 78 x | 79 y | 7A z | 7B { | 7C | | 7D } | 7E ~ | 7F del|
                                  >
                                  > (a work-in-progress that is based off FreeBSD's /usr/share/misc/ascii)
                                  >
                                  > Thoughts?
                                  why not both.
                                  Here are the two version combined with a few help tags. There is still need
                                  to replace the control char. I replace the capital letters in the long
                                  table
                                  they where showing as lower case.
                                  Benoit