can't open file included '()' when dropped from explorer

  • Yasuhiro Matsumoto
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
      hello all.

      We can't open file included '()' when dropped from explorer.
      Offcause this cause is the expanding the path.
      For example
      "C:\TEST\(1).txt" -> "C:\TEST(1).txt"

      If the path is full-path,
      vim can judge whether not expand it.

      Please check attached patch.

      Thanks
      --
      Yasuhiro

    • Benoit Cerrina
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
        I think this happen often when trying to open a file downloaded from IE
        without first saving it somewhere by just choosing open.
        Benoit

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
          Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

          > We can't open file included '()' when dropped from explorer.
          > Offcause this cause is the expanding the path.
          > For example
          > "C:\TEST\(1).txt" -> "C:\TEST(1).txt"
          >
          > If the path is full-path,
          > vim can judge whether not expand it.
          >
          > Please check attached patch.

          I don't like this solution, because it breaks something like:

          vim c:\tmp\*

          Another solution would be to add "--literal" to the vim command line.
          You could add that to the icon on the desktop that you drop a file onto.

          Or perhaps add '(' and ')' to 'isfname' while expanding the command
          line.

          --
          You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
          You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.

        • Yasuhiro Matsumoto
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
            >Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:
            >
            > > We can't open file included '()' when dropped from explorer.
            > > Offcause this cause is the expanding the path.
            > > For example
            > > "C:\TEST\(1).txt" -> "C:\TEST(1).txt"
            > >
            > > If the path is full-path,
            > > vim can judge whether not expand it.
            > >
            > > Please check attached patch.
            >
            >I don't like this solution, because it breaks something like:
            >
            > vim c:\tmp\*
            >
            >Another solution would be to add "--literal" to the vim command line.
            >You could add that to the icon on the desktop that you drop a file onto.
            >
            >Or perhaps add '(' and ')' to 'isfname' while expanding the command
            >line.

            I tried as below.

            vim -u NONE -U NONE --cmd "set isfname+=(" C:\TEST\(1).txt

            but it can't.
            And I wonder why you don't like this solution.

            --
            Yasuhiro

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
              Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

              > > > We can't open file included '()' when dropped from explorer.
              > > > Offcause this cause is the expanding the path.
              > > > For example
              > > > "C:\TEST\(1).txt" -> "C:\TEST(1).txt"
              > > >
              > > > If the path is full-path,
              > > > vim can judge whether not expand it.
              > > >
              > > > Please check attached patch.
              > >
              > >I don't like this solution, because it breaks something like:
              > >
              > > vim c:\tmp\*
              > >
              > >Another solution would be to add "--literal" to the vim command line.
              > >You could add that to the icon on the desktop that you drop a file onto.
              > >
              > >Or perhaps add '(' and ')' to 'isfname' while expanding the command
              > >line.
              >
              > I tried as below.
              >
              > vim -u NONE -U NONE --cmd "set isfname+=(" C:\TEST\(1).txt
              >
              > but it can't.

              No, this doesn't work, because the file name expansion is done before
              you would be able to change 'isfname'. It would have to be done
              internally.

              The reason '(' and ')' are not in 'isfname' is that it's common to put a
              file name in text like this: (see foo.c). You don't want "gf" to
              include the braces then. But for expanding command line arguments, it
              is unlikely to have a problem with considering the braces to be included
              in 'isfname'.

              --
              Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.
              [real standing law in Iowa, United States of America]

            • Matsumoto Yasuhiro
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
                >The reason '(' and ')' are not in 'isfname' is that it's common to put a
                >file name in text like this: (see foo.c). You don't want "gf" to
                >include the braces then. But for expanding command line arguments, it
                >is unlikely to have a problem with considering the braces to be included
                >in 'isfname'.

                I see.
                but about command line arguments arguments which is full-patch,
                I think that we should allow this solution specially.

                My solution effect only command line arguments.
                And this is only when it is full-path.

                --
                Yasuhiro

                かわいい & 使えるブラウザで、インターネット生活もっと楽しくなる!