patches

  • Benoit Cerrina
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 28, 2001
      Hi,
      does the vim distributions (source and binary) as found at the ftp.vim.org
      include the
      latest patches from Bram?
      Benoit
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 28, 2001
        Benoit Cerrina wrote:

        > does the vim distributions (source and binary) as found at the
        > ftp.vim.org include the latest patches from Bram?

        No.

        --
        ARTHUR: A scratch? Your arm's off!
        BLACK KNIGHT: No, it isn't.

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 28, 2001
          Benoit Cerrina wrote:

          > Hi,
          > does the vim distributions (source and binary) as found at the ftp.vim.org
          > include the
          > latest patches from Bram?
          > Benoit

          Once the mirrors catch up, they have all the patches in the patches/
          directory. The binaries are not updated.

          --Benj Fisher
        • Benoit Cerrina
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001
            Yeah I knew that, I silently hoped that the source would be once in a while
            like once every 10 patches. Is there a rule as to when a new point (bug
            correction only release comes out) or is there someone doing a patch
            compilation (a source distrib with all the patches), patching by hand 30
            patches looks more and more daunting.
            Benoit

            > > does the vim distributions (source and binary) as found at the
            ftp.vim.org
            > > include the
            > > latest patches from Bram?
            > > Benoit
            >
            > Once the mirrors catch up, they have all the patches in the patches/
            > directory. The binaries are not updated.
            >
            > --Benj Fisher

          • Preben Guldberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001
              Thus wrote Benoit Cerrina (benoitcerrina@...) on [011029]:
              > [...] patching by hand 30
              > patches looks more and more daunting.

              This one works for me (from memory):

              bzip2 -cd vim-6.0.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
              cd vim60
              sh -c 'for f in 6.0.*; do patch -p2 <$f; done'

              Assuming a Unix like environment.

              Peppe
              --
              "Before you criticize someone, walk
              Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001
                On Monday, October 29, 2001 5:12 AM, Preben Guldberg wrote:

                > Thus wrote Benoit Cerrina (benoitcerrina@...) on [011029]:
                > > [...] patching by hand 30
                > > patches looks more and more daunting.
                >
                > This one works for me (from memory):
                >
                > bzip2 -cd vim-6.0.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
                > cd vim60
                > sh -c 'for f in 6.0.*; do patch -p2 <$f; done'
                >
                > Assuming a Unix like environment.

                This should work if your Vim directory structure is like the
                patch files - i.e. 'nix. If you are running under Windows,
                there is no, for example, `runtime' subdirectory.

                So when you have patch files that patch files in some
                runtime subdirectory and in src, one first needs to edit
                each patch file, split the patch file by subdirectory, and clean
                up the patch files that patch files that don't exist.

                Then you can run a simple script to perform the actual
                patches. Simple, but not easy.

                Bill
              • Benoit Cerrina
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001

                  > This should work if your Vim directory structure is like the
                  > patch files - i.e. 'nix. If you are running under Windows,
                  > there is no, for example, `runtime' subdirectory.
                  >
                  > So when you have patch files that patch files in some
                  > runtime subdirectory and in src, one first needs to edit
                  > each patch file, split the patch file by subdirectory, and clean
                  > up the patch files that patch files that don't exist.
                  >
                  > Then you can run a simple script to perform the actual
                  > patches. Simple, but not easy.
                  >
                  > Bill

                  Well I'm under windows but my vim dev directory which has
                  the sources has the same structure as the unix one since it
                  is the unix source distribution + extra.zip. Pb is that this
                  means that patch runtime files must be copied other with the
                  executable in the install dir (which does not have a runtime dir
                  as you noted)
                  Benoit
                • David Lebel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001
                    Quoting Preben Guldberg (c928400@...):
                    > Thus wrote Benoit Cerrina (benoitcerrina@...) on [011029]:
                    > > [...] patching by hand 30
                    > > patches looks more and more daunting.
                    >
                    > This one works for me (from memory):
                    >
                    > bzip2 -cd vim-6.0.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
                    > cd vim60
                    > sh -c 'for f in 6.0.*; do patch -p2 <$f; done'
                    >
                    > Assuming a Unix like environment.

                    Well, it won't work now, since patch 6.0.027 and 6.0.035 tries to patch
                    files that ain't there. That might not be a problem if you have a user
                    that can read and accept the rejects, but under an automated build
                    system, that ain't what we call the perfect solution.

                    Right now, under OpenBSD ports, I have to skip patch 27 and 35 because
                    they try to patch files like INSTALLvms.txt that ain't in
                    vim-6.0.tar.bz2.

                    Ciao,
                    ...David

                    --
                    // david lebel <lebel@{lebel.org,nobiaze.com,openbsd.org}> //
                    // http://www.lebel.org/ http://www.nobiaze.com/ //
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001
                      Quoting Martin Dalecki (dalecki@...):
                      > sed is you friend. Just kill the chunks out of the patches maybe?
                      > BTW> No matter on wich architecture I just always extract the full
                      > source
                      > ball.

                      The source ball doesn't contain specific files that the patches try to
                      patch later on. Using sed or whatever isn't a clean solution, in my
                      eyes.

                      How does one goes to get everything needed so the patches system work
                      without generating rejects?

                      Ciao,
                      ...David

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001
                        Thus wrote David Lebel (lebel@...) on [011030]:
                        > Quoting Preben Guldberg (c928400@...):

                        > > bzip2 -cd vim-6.0.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
                        > > cd vim60
                        > > sh -c 'for f in 6.0.*; do patch -p2 <$f; done'

                        > Well, it won't work now, since patch 6.0.027 and 6.0.035 tries to patch
                        > files that ain't there. That might not be a problem if you have a user
                        > that can read and accept the rejects, but under an automated build
                        > system, that ain't what we call the perfect solution.

                        In that case, if your patch supports it, try adding the "-t" flag for
                        batch operation. Just tried both methods and a recursive diff revealed
                        no differences.

                        Peppe
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001
                          Quoting Preben Guldberg (c928400@...):
                          > In that case, if your patch supports it, try adding the "-t" flag for
                          > batch operation. Just tried both methods and a recursive diff revealed
                          > no differences.

                          Well, under OpenBSD's framework, it does skip, but the process return
                          code 15 and it aborts.

                          ===> Applying distribution patches for vim-6.0.39-gtk
                          No file to patch. Skipping...
                          5 out of 5 hunks ignored--saving rejects to src/INSTALLvms.txt.rej
                          No file to patch. Skipping...
                          5 out of 5 hunks ignored--saving rejects to src/Make_vms.mms.rej
                          No file to patch. Skipping...
                          5 out of 5 hunks ignored--saving rejects to src/os_vms_conf.h.rej
                          *** Error code 15

                          Not pretty.

                          Ciao,
                          ...David

                          --
                          // david lebel <lebel@{lebel.org,nobiaze.com,openbsd.org}> //
                          // http://www.lebel.org/ http://www.nobiaze.com/ //
                          // pgp: 3633 6999 D47E 73ED 099F 4341 08A4 8E48 EF56 61D1 //
                        • Martin Dalecki
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001
                              > How does one goes to get everything needed so the patches system work
                              > without generating rejects?
                              >
                              > Ciao,
                              > ...David
                              >
                              > --
                              > // david lebel <lebel@{lebel.org,nobiaze.com,openbsd.org}> //
                              > // http://www.lebel.org/ http://www.nobiaze.com/ //
                              > // pgp: 3633 6999 D47E 73ED 099F 4341 08A4 8E48 EF56 61D1 //

                              look in the extra directory of the ftp site and get the extra and lang
                              archives
                              Benoit
                            • David Lebel
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 30, 2001
                                Quoting Benoit Cerrina (benoitcerrina@...):
                                > look in the extra directory of the ftp site and get the extra and lang
                                > archives

                                Duh. Thanks.

                                Ciao,
                                ...David

                                --
                                // david lebel <lebel@{lebel.org,nobiaze.com,openbsd.org}> //
                                // http://www.lebel.org/ http://www.nobiaze.com/ //
                                // pgp: 3633 6999 D47E 73ED 099F 4341 08A4 8E48 EF56 61D1 //
                              • Dan Sharp
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                                  >From: "Benoit Cerrina" <benoitcerrina@...>
                                  >
                                  > > This should work if your Vim directory structure is like the
                                  > > patch files - i.e. 'nix. If you are running under Windows,
                                  > > there is no, for example, `runtime' subdirectory.
                                  > >
                                  > > Bill
                                  > >
                                  >Well I'm under windows but my vim dev directory which has
                                  >the sources has the same structure as the unix one since it
                                  >is the unix source distribution + extra.zip. Pb is that this
                                  >means that patch runtime files must be copied other with the
                                  >executable in the install dir (which does not have a runtime dir
                                  >as you noted)
                                  >Benoit

                                  To move the patched runtime files, from the runtime directory I issue

                                  xcopy /d /s *.* \vim\vim60

                                  which will only copy files (including those in subdirectories) that
                                  are newer than the ones in the \vim\vim60 directory.

                                  Dan Sharp