Re: default value of 'rtp'

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      Wichert Akkerman wrote:

      > Previously Benji Fisher wrote:
      > > According to the docs, the default value of the 'runtimepath' option
      > > depends on the $VIM environment variable. However, changing $VIM does not
      > > seem to change the default:
      >
      > That should be VIMRUNTIME environment variable I suspect, and that
      > default is only used when starting vim to set the initial value for
      > rtp.
      >
      > Wichert.

      Both $VIM/vimfiles (or $VIM:vimfiles on the Mac) and $VIMRUNTIME are in
      the default for 'rtp'. (Both the docs and experimentation confirm this.)
      Yes, it seems to work the way you say, but you snipped my question: can it be
      changed?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2001
        At 9:06 Uhr -0400 2001-10-03, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > According to the docs, the default value of the 'runtimepath' option
        >depends on the $VIM environment variable. However, changing $VIM does not
        >seem to change the default:
        >
        >:let $VIM = "some/other/path"
        >:set rtp&
        >
        >does not do what I would like. Can this be changed?

        I'm not sure $VIMRUNTIME will be updated when $VIM is changed, but ...

        > Background: The Mac port of Vim 6.0 does not set $VIM as I would like.
        >(It is set to path/to/vim/vim60 instead of path/to/vim .)

        It is set correctly, when you set up you folders correctly.
        Ok, that was a bad decission not to adhere to the Unix filesystem
        layout when starting to use Vim on the Mac.

        When using "/path/to/vim/vim60/Vim 6.0" $VIM will be set to
        /path/to/vim, instead of "/path/to/vim/vim 6.0".

        This means it doesn't find its vimrc anymore because it is looking
        for /path/to/vim/vimrc now.

        Maybe when switching to 6.0 we should finally use the normal layout.
        I'm sure the MacOSX users will agree.

        Axel

        --
        News of the week: