default value of 'rtp'

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      According to the docs, the default value of the 'runtimepath' option
      depends on the $VIM environment variable. However, changing $VIM does not
      seem to change the default:

      :let $VIM = "some/other/path"
      :set rtp&

      does not do what I would like. Can this be changed?

      Background: The Mac port of Vim 6.0 does not set $VIM as I would like.
      (It is set to path/to/vim/vim60 instead of path/to/vim .) I cannot set
      environment variable outside of vim, so my work-around is to set $VIM in my
      vimrc file. I find that I also have to set 'rtp' explicitly.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
        Wichert Akkerman wrote:

        > Previously Benji Fisher wrote:
        > > According to the docs, the default value of the 'runtimepath' option
        > > depends on the $VIM environment variable. However, changing $VIM does not
        > > seem to change the default:
        >
        > That should be VIMRUNTIME environment variable I suspect, and that
        > default is only used when starting vim to set the initial value for
        > rtp.
        >
        > Wichert.

        Both $VIM/vimfiles (or $VIM:vimfiles on the Mac) and $VIMRUNTIME are in
        the default for 'rtp'. (Both the docs and experimentation confirm this.)
        Yes, it seems to work the way you say, but you snipped my question: can it be
        changed?

        --Benji Fisher
      • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2001
          At 9:06 Uhr -0400 2001-10-03, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > According to the docs, the default value of the 'runtimepath' option
          >depends on the $VIM environment variable. However, changing $VIM does not
          >seem to change the default:
          >
          >:let $VIM = "some/other/path"
          >:set rtp&
          >
          >does not do what I would like. Can this be changed?

          I'm not sure $VIMRUNTIME will be updated when $VIM is changed, but ...

          > Background: The Mac port of Vim 6.0 does not set $VIM as I would like.
          >(It is set to path/to/vim/vim60 instead of path/to/vim .)

          It is set correctly, when you set up you folders correctly.
          Ok, that was a bad decission not to adhere to the Unix filesystem
          layout when starting to use Vim on the Mac.

          When using "/path/to/vim/vim60/Vim 6.0" $VIM will be set to
          /path/to/vim, instead of "/path/to/vim/vim 6.0".

          This means it doesn't find its vimrc anymore because it is looking
          for /path/to/vim/vimrc now.

          Maybe when switching to 6.0 we should finally use the normal layout.
          I'm sure the MacOSX users will agree.

          Axel

          --
          News of the week: