RE: !xxd problems.

  • Robert Webb
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
      Vince Negri wrote:

      > > Note that the first line starts with "-s" for some reason.
      >
      > For some reason vimrun_path is empty. Is vimrun.exe
      > where vim can find it?
      >
      > The -s is coming from this line:
      >
      > sprintf((char *)newcmd, "%s%s%s %s %s",
      > vimrun_path,
      > (msg_silent != 0 || (options & SHELL_DOOUT))
      > ? "-s " : "",
      > p_sh, p_shcf, cmd);

      Something must have changed. I just did a test with vim6.0aw and it worked
      exactly as expected, but vim6.0 still does as I described before. I'm
      assuming vimrun.exe itself hasn't changed, should I be updating that too?

      Rob.

      --

      Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
      Want to make polyhedra?
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
        > Something must have changed. I just did a test with vim6.0aw and it
        worked
        > exactly as expected, but vim6.0 still does as I described before. I'm
        > assuming vimrun.exe itself hasn't changed, should I be updating that too?

        Something did change. 6.0aw did not use vimrun when running
        external filters. 6.0 does, to get round various Win98 issues
        regarding PATH and environment variables. The warning about not
        being able to find vimrun has been removed in 6.0, too - I'm
        not sure when in the beta cycle that change occurred.

        --
        Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
        Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2001
          Robert Webb wrote:

          > When I do ":1,$!xxd" in 6.0 on w2k, rather than filtering the whole file
          > through xxd, the following happens:
          >
          > - A DOS window appears, but minimized only, so that I hardly notice it.
          > - I click on the DOS icon in the tackbar to see what's in the window.
          > - Window says:
          >
          > -s E:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /c xxd <E:\Temp\VIi84.tmp >E:\Temp\VIo85.tmp
          > 2>&1
          > 1 returned
          > Hit any key to close this window...
          >
          > Note that the first line starts with "-s" for some reason.

          There should be "vimrun" before that (with a path).

          > - I hit return to dismiss the DOS window.
          > - The vim window no longer has focus so I have to click in it first.
          > - Vim says:
          >
          > shell returned 1
          > 91 lines filtered
          > Hit ENTER of type command to continue
          >
          > - I hit return and my buffer contains:
          >
          > '-s' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
          > operable program or batch file.

          Somehow "vimrun_path" has become empty, while "s_dont_use_vimrun" is
          FALSE. I don't see how this can happen. This is done in mch_init() in
          os_win32.c. Could you perhaps try to find out what happens for you?

          There was a change quite late in the 6.0 development to use vimrun also
          for filtering. This fixed problems with passing environment variables
          to the executed command. Perhaps previously external commands didn't
          work for you anyway, and now filter commands also stopped working?

          110. You actually volunteer to become your employer's webmaster.

        • Robert Webb
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
            > > When I do ":1,$!xxd" in 6.0 on w2k, rather than filtering the whole file
            > > through xxd, the following happens:
            > >
            > > - A DOS window appears, but minimized only, so that I hardly notice it.
            > > - I click on the DOS icon in the tackbar to see what's in the window.
            > > - Window says:
            > >
            > > -s E:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /c xxd <E:\Temp\VIi84.tmp
            > >E:\Temp\VIo85.tmp
            > > 2>&1
            > > 1 returned
            > > Hit any key to close this window...
            > >
            > > Note that the first line starts with "-s" for some reason.
            >
            > There should be "vimrun" before that (with a path).

            I have fixed this now by compiling the vimrun that came with vim6.0, whereas
            I had been using an older version, assuming it hadn't changed. Maybe the
            old version didn't understand the -s flag? Anyway, the old vimrun was
            certainly in my path, and replacing that with the new one solved the
            problem.

            Rob.