Weird windows diff

  • Jiri Brezina
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
      Hallo,
      I'am surprise by strange diff's behaviour in gvim60 on Windows2000.
      I'am using windows port of gnu tools from
      http://www2.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/sw/UnxUtils.html , and everything
      was ok. But when I try start diff from command line by

      "gvim -d pod.asp pod1.asp"

      then vim has error "*E97* Cannot create diffs" And this is repeated, until I
      close all vim's ---> No diff's are possible, only error 97 is present, until I
      close them.

      [diff on ms-dos-prompt-command-line
      "diff x.txt x1.txt > xx.txt 2>&1" is working perfect ]

      When I close all vim's and start new one, everything with diff is ok: but I
      must diff from menu or by this command

      On second windows machine I have the same behaviour.
      vim is compiled with +diff, indeed.
      ":vert diffsplit pod1.asp"

      What can be bad? Have anybody else the same problem?

      --------
      I try set verbose=10, and redir output, and after
      "gvim -d pod.asp pod1.asp"
      is result here:

      <----SNIP---->
      "pod.asp"
      "pod.asp" 127L, 4179C
      Reading viminfo file "C:/Docume...ngs/brz\_viminfo" marks FAILED
      Executing BufEnter Auto commands for "*"
      autocommand call s:EditDir()

      "pod1.asp"
      "pod1.asp" 127L, 4453C
      Reading viminfo file "C:/Documents and Settings/brz\_viminfo" marks FAILED
      Executing BufEnter Auto commands for "*"
      autocommand call s:EditDir()

      Executing VimEnter Auto commands for "*"
      autocommand if !exists("no_buffers_menu") | call <SID>BMShow() | endif
      E329: No menu of that nameE328: Menu only exists in another mode
      autocommand au! LoadBufferMenu

      Calling shell to execute: "diff -a C:\DOCUME~1\brz\LOCALS~1\Temp\VIo201.tmp
      C:\DOCUME~1\brz\LOCALS~1\Temp\VIn202.tmp
      >C:\DOCUME~1\brz\LOCALS~1\Temp\VId203.tmp 2>&1"
      Calling shell to execute: "diff C:\DOCUME~1\brz\LOCALS~1\Temp\VIo201.tmp
      C:\DOCUME~1\brz\LOCALS~1\Temp\VIn202.tmp
      >C:\DOCUME~1\brz\LOCALS~1\Temp\VId203.tmp 2>&1"
      E97: Cannot create diffs
      Writing viminfo file "C:/Documents and Settings/brz\_viminfo"
      <----SNIP---->

      I cannot see why vim cannot create diff.
      Thank You for help
      Jiri Brezina
    • John Yochum
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
        * Jiri Brezina <brezina@...> [011002 07:09]:
        > then vim has error "*E97* Cannot create diffs" And this is repeated, until I
        > close all vim's ---> No diff's are possible, only error 97 is present, until I
        > close them.

        I don't know if this is your problem, but it could be...

        This group had something similar to this (maybe). If this is a
        GNU diff.exe currently on your system, you can try to get a
        new diff.exe from the following place.
        http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/builds.html
        Other people had some problems also with thier diff.exe apparently. You
        can look at the discussion at www.yahoogroup.com and get the vim-dev
        group or try
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vimdev/message/25293

        --
        John Yochum Agilent Technologies
        john_yochum@... Imaging Electronics Division
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          > > I don't know if this is your problem, but it could be...
          > > This group had something similar to this (maybe). If this is a
          > > GNU diff.exe currently on your system, you can try to get a
          > > new diff.exe from the following place.
          > >

          > Well, Mr. Vince Negri, send me similar proposal to replace diff.exe by
          another
          > one.
          > He supposed that Muenchen's diff (which I used) is broken or is compiled
          bad.
          > I use diff form Ron Aaron's page, and: Voila!
          > Everything works!
          It would be nice if this url can get into the help of vim
          :h diff

          http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/builds.html

          vipin
        • Jiri Brezina
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
            > I don't know if this is your problem, but it could be...
            > This group had something similar to this (maybe). If this is a
            > GNU diff.exe currently on your system, you can try to get a
            > new diff.exe from the following place.
            > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/builds.html

            Well, Mr. Vince Negri, send me similar proposal to replace diff.exe by another
            one.
            He supposed that Muenchen's diff (which I used) is broken or is compiled bad.
            I use diff form Ron Aaron's page, and: Voila!
            Everything works!

            Muenchen package of GNU tools is excellent, but is necessary
            to replace 'diff.exe' (probably only for 'vim', because -and this
            was confused- normaly it works) and 'mv.exe', because is
            case insensitive.

            Thanks for URL, I tried yahoo, but I probably try bad
            keywords and... found little or nothing.
            And -this was my mistake- I believed that my diff.exe
            was good.

            Is it good idea, put all neccesary stuff (like 'diff', 'patch', maybe 'echo',
            and other which will be probably used by vim user) in platform-depent
            package (exclude unix) on e.g. vim.sf.net ?
            Users should have certainty, that these components are all right. (On unix
            everything works ok, indeed, but on, eh, Windows I don't know
            what is wrong, and is really difficult find error.
            Suddenly idea: are included error messages on unix package of vim at all?
            I have never saw any on irix. :o)

            Thank You for your advice
            Have a nice Day

            Jiri Brezina