RE: Menus causing VIM 6.0** to crash

  • Craig Jeffries
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      RE: Menus causing VIM 6.0** to crash

      David,

      Thank you for posting your problem.  It has spurred me on to investigate similar crashes have seen on our systems here at work since pre-alpha, but I have not been able to adequately identify. Anyway, uname -a:

      SunOS slimy 5.7 Generic_106541-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80

      and similiar systems. Also, I am using Exceed 6.2 to access the Sun boxes from my NT box.

      In my case, I have received the following error messages at different times during my testing the past several months (the first two by far the most):

      ****
      smarmy> BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
      Vim: Got X error
      Vim: Finished.

      ****
      slimy> BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)
      Vim: Got X error
      Vim: Finished.

      ****
      smarmy> BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
      Vim: Got X error
      Vim: Finished.

      ****
      vim hang (blank window)
      0xfef1629c in _poll () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1

      Your problem with menus caused me to look there for my problem as well.  A further hint was that gvim -u NONE -U NONE worked reliably (providing basic menu and toolbar support), but launching with my .vimrc, though it did nothing special to the menus, did not.  I have found that if I disable the creation of the full syntax menu, gvim launches repeatedly without problem.  I have disabled the full syntax menu by adding

      "let did_install_syntax_menu = 1"

      to the top of my .vimrc (I don't have a separate .gvimrc).  If I comment this line, gvim starts failing again (though not 100% of the time).  I have not had a chance to investigate further into what works for me and what doesn't in the full syntax menu.

      A work-around I have been using for the longest time (which is why I haven't been motivated enough to debug this further) is to use the following alias to launch gvim in the foreground, and then put it in the background.

      alias  vi     'gvim6 -f \!* &'

      For some reason, gvim launches reliably when I use that alias.  I thought I was having problems with Exceed or X (why would my alias work, but other methods of launching not work?), but that now appears not to be the case.  FYI, a complaint I see in my Exceed.log file is

      "Cannot find color 'lightmagenta'"

      This may be part of the reason why something in the syntax menu causes gvim to crash every now and then (but why not every time if this is the problem?).  I'll post later when I get a chance to debug further.

      Craig

      ###################################################################################################### This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION and is intended only for the use of the intended recipients identified above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy or print this email. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email, delete the communication and destroy all copies. ######################################################################################################

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2001
        David Morris wrote:

        > I have been using Vim 6.0 (Since an early alpha) for quite some time now,
        > but recently a strange problem cropped up causing Vim to crash. I was
        > using Vim 6.0ax at the time, but now the problem described below
        > manifests with any version of Vim6 (Alpha, Beta, or Released). Vim
        > 5.8 still works just fine.
        >
        > I start up vim, and it crashes with this error:
        >
        > Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
        > Vim: Finished.
        > zsh: bus error (core dumped) gvim -fn -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*
        >
        > I have narrowed the problem down to the "menu" command. Whenever a
        > menu is created (such as the aumenu command in the menu.vim file), vim
        > crashes with the above error.
        >
        > This began just recently with (as far as I can tell) no changes in the
        > system. For the moment, I just use vim without menus, and it is no
        > great loss in the short term...but it would be nice to have them back
        > as not all users are quite so tolerant of their loss as I am.
        >
        > Any suggestions on what happened, and how it can be fixed?

        I can only guess this is a problem with the fontset used for menu
        entries. Someone else also reported a problem, which is problably that
        the default "XtDefaultFontset" is not supported. But then what should
        we use as a default for fontset?

        Try putting this in your ~/.Xdefaults file:

        Vim*menuFontSet: 7x13

        It would also be helpful if you can use a debugger to find out where Vim
        crashes.

        158. You get a tuner card so you can watch TV while surfing.

      • David Morris
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2001
          FYI, I just found the problem.

          Finally had spare time to build a debug version of VIM, and ran it
          through a debugger. Turned out the GVIM crashed on menues because the
          GTK+ library was corrupted...after re-installing GLIB and GTK+,
          everything works perfectly.

          Of course, that brings up a slightly more troubling question of how it
          got corrupted, but that's not an issue for this list.

          --David