VIM-easy, new greet screen?

  • Nagle, Adrian
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      The greet screen doesn't make sense if you start vim with "gvim.exe -y".
      None of the suggestions, such as ":help iccf" or ":q" are valid. I think it
      would make more sense to direct the use to the menus for help or to quit.
      Perhaps even have some sort of "modeless" note for seasoned vi users who
      find themselves in "easy vim" mode.

      I tried it out for the first time, and had to think "menus" before I could
      do anything. For some reason it took me a while to think of that. :)

      Adrian
      --
      Adrian Nagle anagle@...
      Thermal Engineer TEL: 303-939-6518
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 18, 2001
        Adrian Nagle wrote:

        > The greet screen doesn't make sense if you start vim with "gvim.exe -y".
        > None of the suggestions, such as ":help iccf" or ":q" are valid. I think it
        > would make more sense to direct the use to the menus for help or to quit.
        > Perhaps even have some sort of "modeless" note for seasoned vi users who
        > find themselves in "easy vim" mode.

        Good point. Typing these commands isn't easy, would require prepending
        CTRL-O. It's probably better to mention using the menu entries.

        > I tried it out for the first time, and had to think "menus" before I could
        > do anything. For some reason it took me a while to think of that. :)

        Easy Vim is not easy to use for long time Vim users! :-)

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        (:-# Said something he shouldn't have

      • Juergen Fischer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
          On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:22:25PM +0200 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Adrian Nagle wrote:
          > > The greet screen doesn't make sense if you start vim with "gvim.exe -y".
          > > None of the suggestions, such as ":help iccf" or ":q" are valid. I think it
          > > would make more sense to direct the use to the menus for help or to quit.
          > > Perhaps even have some sort of "modeless" note for seasoned vi users who
          > > find themselves in "easy vim" mode.
          >
          > Good point. Typing these commands isn't easy, would require prepending
          > CTRL-O. It's probably better to mention using the menu entries.

          But there's still another problem some newbies will occasionally run
          into: Someone who isn't aware of the CRTL-O command will find
          himself in trouble if he invokes evim on a console (maybe he doesn't
          want to start an X Server for a small task or whatever) - he will
          have to kill evim from another console.

          Maybe it's better if evim falls back to "normal" vim if $DISPLAY
          isn't set so that it can at least be terminated properly.

          (Hm, I'm not using evim anyway, but just thought about it...)

          > > I tried it out for the first time, and had to think "menus" before I could
          > > do anything. For some reason it took me a while to think of that. :)
          > Easy Vim is not easy to use for long time Vim users! :-)

          And it still can cause confusion among those people who should find
          it a pleasure to use... *sigh*

          Greetings
          --
          Jürgen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
            Juergen Fischer wrote:

            > On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:22:25PM +0200 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Adrian Nagle wrote:
            > > > The greet screen doesn't make sense if you start vim with "gvim.exe -y".
            > > > None of the suggestions, such as ":help iccf" or ":q" are valid.
            > > > I think it would make more sense to direct the use to the menus
            > > > for help or to quit. Perhaps even have some sort of "modeless"
            > > > note for seasoned vi users who find themselves in "easy vim" mode.
            > >
            > > Good point. Typing these commands isn't easy, would require prepending
            > > CTRL-O. It's probably better to mention using the menu entries.

            The current version does mention the menu entries when 'insertmode' is
            set.

            > But there's still another problem some newbies will occasionally run
            > into: Someone who isn't aware of the CRTL-O command will find
            > himself in trouble if he invokes evim on a console (maybe he doesn't
            > want to start an X Server for a small task or whatever) - he will
            > have to kill evim from another console.
            >
            > Maybe it's better if evim falls back to "normal" vim if $DISPLAY
            > isn't set so that it can at least be terminated properly.

            Perhaps evim (gvim -y) should exit when the GUI can't be started? Only
            when the GUI is used it's really easy.

            --
            Q: Is selling software the same as selling hardware?
            A: No, good hardware is sold new, good software has already been used by many.

          • Juergen Fischer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2002
              On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 09:41:27PM +0100 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              [...]
              > Perhaps evim (gvim -y) should exit when the GUI can't be started? Only
              > when the GUI is used it's really easy.

              That's indeed the best solution. As a possible error message I would
              suggest "No running GUI". I'll also check the evim documentation for
              necessary changes.

              --
              Jürgen