Feature Request: horizontal scrollbar in gvim

  • Adam Monsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2001
      Okay, so my timing is bad. :)

      It would be cool to have a horizontal scrollbar in gvim or some helpful
      mappings for scrolling left and right.

    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2001
        Adam Monsen wrote:

        > Okay, so my timing is bad. :)
        >
        > It would be cool to have a horizontal scrollbar in gvim or some helpful
        > mappings for scrolling left and right.

        To get a horizontal scrollbar in gvim use,

        set guioptions+=b

        - Yegappan
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2001
          Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

          > Adam Monsen wrote:
          > >
          > > Okay, so my timing is bad. :)
          > >
          > > It would be cool to have a horizontal scrollbar in gvim or some helpful
          > > mappings for scrolling left and right.
          >
          > To get a horizontal scrollbar in gvim use,
          >
          > set guioptions+=b
          >
          > - Yegappan

          To scroll from the keyboard,

          :help scroll-horizontal

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Johannes Zellner
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2001
            On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:21:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
            [...]
            > > To get a horizontal scrollbar in gvim use,
            > >
            > > set guioptions+=b
            > >
            > > - Yegappan
            >
            > To scroll from the keyboard,
            >
            > :help scroll-horizontal

            yes but there's something I don't like about the horizontal scrollbar
            (at least present in windows): The scrollbar size gets adjusted to the
            current line, so

            1) it flickers (gets shorter and longer) when moving the cursor up and down.

            2) I can't use it to scroll to the end of lines which are longer than
            the line where the cursor currently is. This is very bad IMHO.

            --
            Johannes
          • Denis Perelyubskiy
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2001
              * Johannes Zellner <johannes@...> [27-Sep-01 22:45 -0700]:

              >On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:21:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
              [...]
              >2) I can't use it to scroll to the end of lines which are longer than
              > the line where the cursor currently is. This is very bad IMHO.

              yes!!! this is annoying !!! :)

              denis

              ps. i should say that this is one of the VERY VERY VERY few
              annoying things about the editor. it truly is great ...

              --
              // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
              // icq : 12359698
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2001
                > >2) I can't use it to scroll to the end of lines which are longer than
                > > the line where the cursor currently is. This is very bad IMHO.

                This should only be added when 'virtualedit' is set such that the cursor
                can go beyond EOL.

                Vince

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2001
                  Johannes Zellner wrote:

                  > On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:21:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > > > To get a horizontal scrollbar in gvim use,
                  > > >
                  > > > set guioptions+=b
                  > > >
                  > > > - Yegappan
                  > >
                  > > To scroll from the keyboard,
                  > >
                  > > :help scroll-horizontal
                  >
                  > yes but there's something I don't like about the horizontal scrollbar
                  > (at least present in windows): The scrollbar size gets adjusted to the
                  > current line, so
                  >
                  > 1) it flickers (gets shorter and longer) when moving the cursor up and down.
                  >
                  > 2) I can't use it to scroll to the end of lines which are longer than
                  > the line where the cursor currently is. This is very bad IMHO.

                  These are known problems. Unfortunately, there is no simple solution.
                  In Vim the cursor must be on an existing character. This makes it
                  impossible to scroll the line with the cursor left of the screen.

                  When 'virtualedit' is set, it should be possible. This just didn't get
                  implemented yet.

                  When 'virtualedit' isn't set, a solution could be to move the cursor to
                  a longer line. But that gets quite unpredictable, doesn't it? And
                  updating the scrollbar thumb size gets very complicated as well. It's
                  not clear to me how this would work.

                  --
                  Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.