Vim version 6.0ax BETA available

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2001
      Since there was an annoying bug with syntax highlighting in the 6.0aw
      version, here is another BETA for you to check out.

      This might be really the last BETA for Vim 6.0. I'm planning the 6.0
      release in just a few days. I'm not going to change much, only
      important problems and things I know won't cause trouble.

      Since this is another test version, I dared to fix quite a few bugs.
      And Chinese message translations for MS-Windows have been added. If you
      can read Chinese, please try them.

      I didn't have time to produce the Amiga and OS/2 binaries, they are
      omitted this time.

      Changes
      -------

      Added Simplified Chinese menu translations for UTF-8. (Wang Jun)
      Convert the Chinese messages to cp936 (GBK) to be able to use them on
      MS-Windows.

      Fixes
      -----

      Win32: The function GetConsoleHwnd() was not defined when compiling without
      the printing code. (Mike Williams)

      When reloading a file after the "file changed" dialog the title wasn't reset.
      Could be needed when the file is no longer readonly.

      When giving focus back to Vim when the file changed for a second time, there
      was no "file changed" dialog. Now give the dialog after the next command.

      When doing "make clean" don't delete the converted src/po/*.po files, because
      regenerating them is not possible for everybody.

      When 'compatible' is set, local option values are reset to global values when
      editing a buffer again, but a filetype plugin did not set the options again,
      because b:did_ftplugin is already set. Reset that variable when 'cpoptions'
      includes "S"' to get better results.

      When 'imdisable' is set, don't store the current IM status in 'iminsert' or
      'imsearch', it would always set the option to 0.

      Win32: When loading a color scheme in the vimrc or gvimrc file, the Normal
      color defined there would still be used after ":hi clear" or selecting another
      color scheme that doesn't set the Normal color.

      When 'virtualedit' is set:
      - "A" didn't append to the end of the line. "a" can still be used to append
      after the cursor position.
      - Using "a" in virtual space, then pressing Esc and using "a" again, the
      cursor would jump to the end of the line.
      - Using "a<Esc>" on a TAB moved the cursor forward, but at the last column it
      jumped back to the start of the TAB.
      - Using 'a when the mark is in virtual space moved to a character after the
      first non-blank in the line.
      - When obtaining a mark position with line() or using a mark in a ":" command
      range the cursor could be moved. Deleted getmark_coladd() and cleaned up
      getmark(). (Helmut Stiegler)
      - In a few situations the cursor was moved to another column but coladd wasn't
      reset to zero.
      - "gi" didn't work correctly.

      GTK: The plugin mechanism didn't work properly. Fixed focus problems. (Neil
      Bird)

      Multi-byte: When using Shift-JIS encoding, comparing strings used stricmp()
      while it should use mb_strnicmp(). (Muraoka Taro)

      EBCDIC: The ebcdic2ascii() function didn't compile. (Anthony Giorgio)

      Win32: Using ":hardcopy!" twice didn't work. (Vince Negri)

      When there is only one buffer in diff mode, would still check if "diff" is
      working, write a file and delete it.

      Patch 6.0aw.001
      Problem: When using histget() with an index that's below all existing
      entries, Vim would hang. (Yegappan Lakshmanan)
      Solution: Break out of the loop when all history items have been checked.
      Files: src/ex_getln.c

      Patch 6.0aw.002
      Problem: Crash when using syntax highlighting with an "extend" argument.
      (Johannes Zellner)
      Solution: Check for the last syntax item to have ended.
      Files: src/syntax.c

      Patch 6.0aw.003
      Problem: When drawing wrapped lines or filler lines and the first char on
      the next line doesn't need redrawing it would be made blank.
      Solution: Mark the blanked out character for redrawing. Don't output a
      blank after a filler line, it's not a wrapped line.
      Files: src/screen.c

      Patch 6.0aw.004
      Problem: Win32: Using a double-byte encoding may cause a crash.
      Solution: Fixing the file name case used a wrong pointer. (Muraoka Taro)
      Files: src/os_win32.c

      Patch 6.0aw.005
      Problem: GUI: After the "buffer changed outside of Vim" dialog the cursor
      was not in the right position. (Robert Webb)
      Solution: Update the cursor by redrawing it.
      Files: src/ui.c

      Patch 6.0aw.006
      Problem: Debugging a function that is called while editing the command line
      causes a crash. (Yegappan Lakshmanan)
      Solution: Save the command line when getting a debug command and restore it
      afterwards.
      Files: src/ex_cmds2.c

      Patch 6.0aw.007
      Problem: When 'foldlevelstart' is set in a vimrc file, it was not used for
      the first file in the argument list. (Gary Johnson)
      Solution: Set 'foldlevel' to 'foldlevelstart' when opening the first buffer.
      Files: src/main.c

      Patch 6.0aw.008
      Problem: When the first character of a file name is over 127, the Buffers
      menu entry would get a negative priority and cause problems.
      The "Edit.Find" menu didn't work like the "Edit.Find and Replace"
      menu in Visual mode.
      The toolbar item for printing didn't work like the Edit.Print menu
      entry.
      Solution: Reduce the multiplier for the first character when computing
      the hash value for a Buffers menu entry.
      Files: runtime/menu.vim

      Patch 6.0aw.009
      Problem: Using CTRL-B when there are closed folds often results in the
      number of lines in the first fold to be wrong. (Jean-Laurent Huynh)
      Solution: Correct the topline to be at the start of the closed fold.
      Files: src/move.c

      Patch 6.0aw.010
      Problem: Win32: ":browse edit dir/dir" didn't work. (Vikas)
      Solution: Change slashes to backslashes in the directory passed to the file
      browser.
      Files: src/gui_w48.c

      Epilogue
      --------

      WARNING: This is still an unstable version. Most functionality should work
      fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
      try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at least let me
      know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

      More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6". Or look here:
      http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php.

      If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
      new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

      You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/
      More information about downloading: http://vim.sf.net/download.php

      Unix:
      unix/vim-6.0ax.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
      unix/vim-6.0ax-rt1.tar.gz runtime files part 1
      unix/vim-6.0ax-rt2.tar.gz runtime files part 2
      unix/vim-6.0ax-src1.tar.gz sources part 1
      unix/vim-6.0ax-src2.tar.gz sources part 2
      unix/vim-6.0aw-6.0ax.diff.gz diff between 6.0aw and 6.0ax

      Various:
      extra/vim-6.0ax-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.0ax-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      extra/vim-6.0aw-6.0ax-extra.diff.gz extra diff
      extra/vim-6.0aw-6.0ax-lang.diff.gz multi-lang diff
      doc/vim60axhtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-Windows:
      pc/gvim60ax.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
      pc/vim60axrt.zip runtime files
      pc/vim60axlang.zip extra files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim60ax.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
      pc/gvim60axole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim60ax_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1
      pc/vim60axd16.zip 16 bits real mode - works on any system
      pc/vim60axd32.zip 32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
      pc/vim60axw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim60axsrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      A computer programmer is a device for turning requirements into
      undocumented features. It runs on cola, pizza and Dilbert cartoons.

    • Tomas Ogren
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2001
        On 19 September, 2001 - Bram Moolenaar sent me these 7.8K bytes:

        > Since there was an annoying bug with syntax highlighting in the 6.0aw
        > version, here is another BETA for you to check out.

        The evim.1 file seems to have a minor bug when generated.. It points me
        to /lap/vim/6.0ax/share/vim/evim.vim whereas the file is actually
        located at /lap/vim/6.0ax/share/vim/vim60ax/evim.vim
        (--prefix=/lap/vim/6.0ax)

        Files in other man pages seems to refer correctly.

        Minor "feature" about evim is that if it's unable to initialize the GUI
        it will run in text mode where it is _kinda_ hard to get out :)
        C-O :q or C-\ C-Z ... but that's not the first thing an unexperienced
        user things about :)

        /Tomas
        --
        Tomas Ögren, stric@..., http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
        |- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2001
          The :hardcopy command SEGV's when "printheader" results in
          a long expansion. For example, when the current full path
          is long, and we have expand("%:p") in the "printheader", then
          we get a SEGV:

          :echo expand("%:p")
          /usr/people/eralston/download/vim/vim60ax/src/wsdebug.h
          :set printheader=(%{expand(\"%:p\")})(%{expand(\"%:p\")})(%{expand(\"%:p\")})
          :hardcopy

          Looks like a buffer overflow to me.
          At ex_cmds2.c:2676, we have:

          tbuf = alloc(width + 1);

          If we replace this with:

          tbuf = alloc(width + 1024);

          then no more SEGV...
          But that's not really fixing it, now is it?

          -e

          PS: Not sure if this matters, but my printexpr is:
          :set printexpr=system('lp'\ .\ (&printdevice
          \\ ==\ ''\ ?\ ''\ :\ '\ -d'\ .\ &printdevice))
          \\ .\ delete(v:fname_in)\ +\ v:shell_error
          --
          R. E. Ralston <eralston@...> ** vim:set ai tw=70 et ts=4 sw=4:
        • Vince Negri
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2001
            There was one item missing from the changelog:

            Added duplex/colour printer detection for Win16 version (Vipin)

            --
            Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
            Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2001
              Tomas Ogren wrote:

              > The evim.1 file seems to have a minor bug when generated.. It points me
              > to /lap/vim/6.0ax/share/vim/evim.vim whereas the file is actually
              > located at /lap/vim/6.0ax/share/vim/vim60ax/evim.vim
              > (--prefix=/lap/vim/6.0ax)

              Please use this patch:

              *** Makefile~ Thu Sep 20 11:04:18 2001
              --- Makefile Thu Sep 20 11:22:40 2001
              ***************
              *** 1530,1536 ****
              $(INSTALL_DATA) $(HELPSOURCE)/vimdiff.1 $(DEST_MAN)/$(VIMDIFFNAME).1
              chmod $(MANMOD) $(DEST_MAN)/$(VIMDIFFNAME).1
              @echo generating $(DEST_MAN)/$(EVIMNAME).1
              ! @sed -e s+/usr/local/lib/vim+$(VIMLOC)+ \
              $(HELPSOURCE)/evim.1 > $(DEST_MAN)/$(EVIMNAME).1
              chmod $(MANMOD) $(DEST_MAN)/$(EVIMNAME).1
              cd $(HELPSOURCE); $(INSTALL_DATA) *.txt tags $(DEST_HELP)
              ! @sed -e s+/usr/local/lib/vim+$(SCRIPTLOC)+ \
              $(HELPSOURCE)/evim.1 > $(DEST_MAN)/$(EVIMNAME).1
              chmod $(MANMOD) $(DEST_MAN)/$(EVIMNAME).1
              cd $(HELPSOURCE); $(INSTALL_DATA) *.txt tags $(DEST_HELP)

              > Minor "feature" about evim is that if it's unable to initialize the GUI
              > it will run in text mode where it is _kinda_ hard to get out :)
              > C-O :q or C-\ C-Z ... but that's not the first thing an unexperienced
              > user things about :)

              Just like that time you accidentally started Emacs! :-)
              Just reboot the system...

              --
              BLACK KNIGHT: I move for no man.
              ARTHUR: So be it!

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2001
                Ed Ralston wrote:

                > The :hardcopy command SEGV's when "printheader" results in
                > a long expansion. For example, when the current full path
                > is long, and we have expand("%:p") in the "printheader", then
                > we get a SEGV:
                >
                > :echo expand("%:p")
                > /usr/people/eralston/download/vim/vim60ax/src/wsdebug.h
                > :set printheader=(%{expand(\"%:p\")})(%{expand(\"%:p\")})(%{expand(\"%:p\")})
                > :hardcopy
                >

                > Looks like a buffer overflow to me.
                > At ex_cmds2.c:2676, we have:
                >
                > tbuf = alloc(width + 1);
                >
                > If we replace this with:
                >
                > tbuf = alloc(width + 1024);
                >
                > then no more SEGV...
                > But that's not really fixing it, now is it?

                Yeah, the build_stl_str_hl() function doesn't check for reaching the end
                of the buffer. The buffer should be big enough for the resulting
                string, not just the text width that is used.

                The change you mention should fix it for now. Doing proper checks for
                this is quite complicated, let's do that later.

                --
                No letters of the alphabet were harmed in the creation of this message.

              • Aric Blumer
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 20, 2001
                  I am seeing the following:

                  % gvim -italicfont fixed
                  VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 19 2001 16:31:10)
                  Garbage after option: "-italicfont"
                  More info with: "vim -h"

                  % gvim -italicfont
                  VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 19 2001 16:31:10)
                  Garbage after option: "-italicfont"
                  More info with: "vim -h"

                  'gvim -boldfont fixed' gives me these errors when gvim starts up:
                  E433: No tags file
                  E426: tag not found: fixed

                  I don't know if this is something with my set-up or not.
                  '-u NONE -U NONE' doesn't change anything.

                  VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 19 2001 16:31:10)
                  Compiled by aric@...
                  Normal version with GTK GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                  +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                  +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
                  +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval
                  +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
                  +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap
                  +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
                  +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
                  -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -osfiletype +path_extra
                  -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
                  -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
                  +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
                  +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
                  +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset +xim
                  +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                  system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                  user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                  user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                  user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                  fall-back for $VIM: "/us/aric/vim60/share/vim"
                  Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
                  Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lm -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 20, 2001
                    Aric Blumer wrote:

                    > I am seeing the following:
                    >
                    > % gvim -italicfont fixed
                    > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 19 2001 16:31:10)
                    > Garbage after option: "-italicfont"
                    > More info with: "vim -h"
                    >
                    > % gvim -italicfont
                    > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 19 2001 16:31:10)
                    > Garbage after option: "-italicfont"
                    > More info with: "vim -h"
                    >
                    > 'gvim -boldfont fixed' gives me these errors when gvim starts up:
                    > E433: No tags file
                    > E426: tag not found: fixed
                    >
                    > I don't know if this is something with my set-up or not.
                    > '-u NONE -U NONE' doesn't change anything.
                    >
                    > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ax BETA (2001 Sep 19, compiled Sep 19 2001 16:31:10)
                    > Compiled by aric@...
                    > Normal version with GTK GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

                    The GTK version doesn't support these argument. "vim -h" shows this, as
                    the error message already indicates.

                    --
                    MESKIMEN'S LAW
                    There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.