[Again]: 60av: /something, weird problem?

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
      [Sorry if it appears twice, my mail system is telling me
      it couldn't send it the frist time, but I am not sure
      I can believe it.]
      -----

      I have accidentally stumbled on this:

      In the vim 'src' directory, I did:

      vim ex_cmds2.c
      /h and then 'n' to advance to the next match

      It advances but suddenly it will position the cursor on the
      beginning of some line (not always containing the 'h' char
      in it), several next 'n' may also position cursor on some
      non 'h' place but eventually it will get back to position
      cursor on the next 'h' char. Quite random, never seen this
      before, need number of tries.

      When the cursor is wrongly positioned, the 'N' will position
      it correctly on the previous 'h' and following 'n' will find
      the next 'h' contrary to the first try. When it finds the 'h'
      it looks like to always 'remember' it and will not fail on the
      same one.

      Impossible to reproduce reliably, but I get it *almost* every
      time when the cursor gets on 'h' of line 479 (char_u of
      dbg_breakpoint(), the next 'n' will position it at the col 1
      of line 482 and the next 'n' will find the 'h' in 'this' but
      will miss the 'check' preceeding.

      I have :set hlsearch if that matters.

      Can anybody see this, too? Very weird.

      ---Zdenek
    • Jonathon Merz
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
        Zdenek Sekera wrote:
        > [Sorry if it appears twice, my mail system is telling me
        > it couldn't send it the frist time, but I am not sure
        > I can believe it.]
        > -----
        >

        > I have accidentally stumbled on this:
        >
        > In the vim 'src' directory, I did:
        >
        > vim ex_cmds2.c
        > /h and then 'n' to advance to the next match
        >
        > It advances but suddenly it will position the cursor on the
        > beginning of some line (not always containing the 'h' char
        > in it), several next 'n' may also position cursor on some
        > non 'h' place but eventually it will get back to position
        > cursor on the next 'h' char. Quite random, never seen this
        > before, need number of tries.
        >
        > When the cursor is wrongly positioned, the 'N' will position
        > it correctly on the previous 'h' and following 'n' will find
        > the next 'h' contrary to the first try. When it finds the 'h'
        > it looks like to always 'remember' it and will not fail on the
        > same one.
        >
        > Impossible to reproduce reliably, but I get it *almost* every
        > time when the cursor gets on 'h' of line 479 (char_u of
        > dbg_breakpoint(), the next 'n' will position it at the col 1
        > of line 482 and the next 'n' will find the 'h' in 'this' but
        > will miss the 'check' preceeding.
        >
        > I have :set hlsearch if that matters.
        >
        > Can anybody see this, too? Very weird.
        >
        > ---Zdenek

        I can't seem to make it happen just now, but I did see this once a few weeks
        ago. I rather thought I imagined it, since I searched past it before I quite
        realized what I saw and I was unable to reproduce it. Perhaps I didn't
        imagine it though. Unfortunately I'm not sure what version I was using then :(

        -Jon