Re: - multiple document interface

  • David L. Nicol
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
      dman wrote:

      > On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:52:43PM -0500, David L. Nicol wrote:
      > ..
      > | It also perturbs me that all the monolithic software like soffice
      > | and mozilla run all their windows from the same process instead
      > | of launching a new process to handle each window, which seems
      > | much cleaner conceptually to me, and would obviously save an entire
      > | level of event dispatch, as well as partitioning software failures
      > | which (in the case of moz*) happen regularly and bring down all windows,
      > | instead of just the one that had the menu open while it was attempted
      > | to be moved or whatever.
      >
      > I agree with your complaints about mozilla/netscape.
      >
      > It would probably be best for there to be one central process that
      > allows all buffers to be accessed, then separate processes for the
      > actual editing.
      >
      > The advantage of having the separate (top-level) windows connected is
      > that the Buffers menu can list all open buffers, even if it was opened
      > in a different window.
      >
      > -D

      If there was a scoreboard kind of thing maintained at some location
      in the file system, all the processes could access it to list the open
      buffers/windows. In fact each open one could maintain a pipe in the
      file system for receiving events from the others, etc, etc.

      I think that anything you traditionally need a central dispatch for
      can be done with decentralized dispatch plus well defined message-passing
      interface.

      --
      David Nicol 816.235.1187
      A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...