Re: Next round of PS changes

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2001
      On 4 Sep 2001, at 10:45, Mike Williams wrote:

      > > > What ~A and so on supposed to represent? CTRL-A? Is VIM blocking the
      > > > display of characters in the range \200 to \237?
      > >
      > > That depends on the 'isprint' option.
      > >
      > > Let's not think about what characters are displayed between 0x80 and
      > > 0xa0. They are not defined for latin1. Only the characters between
      > > 0xa1 and 0xff are useful.
      >
      > Fair enough - I'll leave the characters defined in the coding vector
      > between 0x80 and 0xa0 (or octal \200 and \237) since that allows
      > anyone with an appropriate font to be able to use them. If they
      > can't see 'em the wont use 'em. That is the point of isprint after
      > all. :)

      Doh! In fact the characters in the range \220 to \237 are the
      diacriticals used to construct accented characters - so no one would
      normally include those byte codes in a text file. Which was your
      point in the first place. It is actually a common PS font practice
      to hide these 'extra' characters in normally unused byte values. YOu
      will also occasionally find them in the first 32 values as well.

      Here endeth todays PostScript lesson.

      Mike
      --
      No one notices what I do until I don't do it.