Re: Next round of PS changes

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
      On 3 Sep 2001, at 17:00, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > > A busy weekend but worth it. The patch consists of a diff to a
      > > source file, a diff to procset.ps in the runtime directory, and 3 new
      > > files that should be placed in $VIMRUNTIME. There is also a test
      > > file - details at the end of the email.
      >
      > You have been busy, indeed.
      >
      > This is quite a big change. But it does fix problems, thus I should
      > probably include it. If anybody sees a problem, please let us know!
      >
      > It works for me, ghostview now correctly displays landscape pages
      > (although it says they are portrait).

      Hey, don't knock it! ;)

      I think I am working around a bug in Ghostview that no one seems to
      know how to fix. If you change the %%Orientation: comment to
      Landscape the text gets shifted off the page. If that ever gets
      fixed then we can visit this area again. Otherwise I have had enough
      of it for now.

      Then again, this font encoding thing could be a bit nasty ...

      TTFN
      Mike
      --
      Instant Human: Just Add Coffee.
    • Mike Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
        [Added vim-dev so they are aware of the problem also]

        On 3 Sep 2001, at 18:06, Zdenek Sekera wrote:

        > Tried to try the patch but it refers to 'makefile', there is no such
        > thing in 'src' dir, is it supposed to be 'Makefile'?
        > That one is normally generated by 'configure' so that would get rid of
        > your patch. Is this just a temporary thing?

        Nope, my guess is it is a side effect of editing a case sensitive
        filename on a case insensitive file name system - that is a Unix file
        on an NT system :(

        Edit the patch to change makefile to Makefile and it should work I
        guess. As I said I am unable to test any changes to the unix
        makefile.

        TTFN

        Mike
        --
        The amount of sleep needed by the average person is ten minutes more.
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
          Mike Williams wrote:

          > > \17x x y z { | } ~ ^?
          > > \20x ~@ ~A ~B ~C ~D ~E ~F ~G
          > > \21x ~H ~I ~J ~K ~L ~M ~N ~O
          > > \22x ~P ~Q ~R ~S ~T ~U ~V ~W
          > > \23x ~X ~Y ~Z ~[ ~\ ~] ~^ ~_
          >
          > What ~A and so on supposed to represent? CTRL-A? Is VIM blocking the
          > display of characters in the range \200 to \237?

          That depends on the 'isprint' option.

          Let's not think about what characters are displayed between 0x80 and
          0xa0. They are not defined for latin1. Only the characters between
          0xa1 and 0xff are useful.

          --
          LAUNCELOT: Isn't there a St. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh's in Cornwall?
          ARTHUR: No, that's Saint Ives.

        • Mike Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2001
            On 3 Sep 2001, at 20:17, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > > > \17x x y z { | } ~ ^?
            > > > \20x ~@ ~A ~B ~C ~D ~E ~F ~G
            > > > \21x ~H ~I ~J ~K ~L ~M ~N ~O
            > > > \22x ~P ~Q ~R ~S ~T ~U ~V ~W
            > > > \23x ~X ~Y ~Z ~[ ~\ ~] ~^ ~_
            > >
            > > What ~A and so on supposed to represent? CTRL-A? Is VIM blocking the
            > > display of characters in the range \200 to \237?
            >
            > That depends on the 'isprint' option.
            >
            > Let's not think about what characters are displayed between 0x80 and
            > 0xa0. They are not defined for latin1. Only the characters between
            > 0xa1 and 0xff are useful.

            Fair enough - I'll leave the characters defined in the coding vector
            between 0x80 and 0xa0 (or octal \200 and \237) since that allows
            anyone with an appropriate font to be able to use them. If they
            can't see 'em the wont use 'em. That is the point of isprint after
            all. :)

            TTFN
            Mike
            --
            Preposition: A poor word to end a sentence with.
          • Mike Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2001
              On 4 Sep 2001, at 10:45, Mike Williams wrote:

              > > > What ~A and so on supposed to represent? CTRL-A? Is VIM blocking the
              > > > display of characters in the range \200 to \237?
              > >
              > > That depends on the 'isprint' option.
              > >
              > > Let's not think about what characters are displayed between 0x80 and
              > > 0xa0. They are not defined for latin1. Only the characters between
              > > 0xa1 and 0xff are useful.
              >
              > Fair enough - I'll leave the characters defined in the coding vector
              > between 0x80 and 0xa0 (or octal \200 and \237) since that allows
              > anyone with an appropriate font to be able to use them. If they
              > can't see 'em the wont use 'em. That is the point of isprint after
              > all. :)

              Doh! In fact the characters in the range \220 to \237 are the
              diacriticals used to construct accented characters - so no one would
              normally include those byte codes in a text file. Which was your
              point in the first place. It is actually a common PS font practice
              to hide these 'extra' characters in normally unused byte values. YOu
              will also occasionally find them in the first 32 values as well.

              Here endeth todays PostScript lesson.

              Mike
              --
              No one notices what I do until I don't do it.