Re: Multiple use of comma (,) or semicolon (;) after tT

  • Thomas Köhler
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
      On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:04:37PM -0400,
      David Kotchan <dkotchan@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > After using t to search for a character, using comma (,) multiple times to
      > search in the opposite direction does not do what you expect. After an
      > initial backwards search, it doesn't do anything, in fact. To make it
      > continue searching, you must use a count, eg. 2,
      >
      > Similarly: after using T to search for a character, using semicolon (;)
      > multiple times to search in the opposite direction doesn't do anything
      > after the initial forwards search. To make it do something, you must use a
      > count, eg. 2;
      >
      > I have a tiny 2-line patch to fix this behaviour, but at earlier the patch
      > was rejected because the current behaviour was compatible with how Vi does
      > it. I accept the argument, but now lately I read the following in the
      > "motion.txt" documentation:
      >
      > "The original Vi implementation of "e" is buggy. For example, the "e"
      > command will stop on the first character of a line if the previous line was
      > empty. But when you use "2e" this does not happen. In Vim "ee" and "2e"
      > are the same, which is more logical. However, this causes a small
      > incompatibility
      > between Vi and Vim."
      >
      > I submit the same argument applies here to comma (,) and semicolon
      > (;). Namely, ",," and "2," should be the same, and ";;" and "2;" should be
      > the same -- which is more logical ;-) But yes, it will cause a small
      > incompatibility between Vi and Vim, same as for "ee" and "2e".
      >
      > I do not want to press this point, it does not matter to me personally -- I
      > patch all my Vims to make ",," the same as "2," so I myself am always
      > happy. But I actually use , and ; quite a bit so I thought others might
      > too, and that they might benefit from this proposal.
      >
      > I shall drop the matter for good if no one agrees with me.

      I'd vote for YAO :-)
      In fact, that 'ee' thing as well as that ';'-and-','-thing should be
      vi-compatible when 'cp' is set, but work in that "more logical" way
      when in 'nocp'-mode...

      Ciao,
      Thomas

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
        Thomas Köhler wrote:

        > On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:04:37PM -0400,
        > David Kotchan <dkotchan@...> wrote:
        > [...]
        > > After using t to search for a character, using comma (,) multiple
        > times to
        > > search in the opposite direction does not do what you expect. After an
        >
        > > initial backwards search, it doesn't do anything, in fact. To make it
        > > continue searching, you must use a count, eg. 2,
        > >
        > > Similarly: after using T to search for a character, using semicolon
        > (;)
        > > multiple times to search in the opposite direction doesn't do anything
        >
        > > after the initial forwards search. To make it do something, you must
        > use a
        > > count, eg. 2;
        > >
        > > I have a tiny 2-line patch to fix this behaviour, but at earlier the
        > patch
        > >
        > > I shall drop the matter for good if no one agrees with me.
        >
        > I'd vote for YAO :-)
        > In fact, that 'ee' thing as well as that ';'-and-','-thing should be
        > vi-compatible when 'cp' is set, but work in that "more logical" way
        > when in 'nocp'-mode...

        I agree with Thomas, it should work 'logically' for nocp when
        *small nocompatibility* with vi shouldn't be an issue, maybe we could
        even go without YAO...

        In any case, maybe, David, you should post your patch so others could
        make their vim less compatible with vi :-)

        ---Zdenek