Vim 6.0au: can't compile Win32 console version under Borland if not using MBYTE

  • David Kotchan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
      Despite significant help from Dan Sharp, I can't get Vim 6.0au Win32
      console-mode version to compile under Borland C++ 5.5.1 if MBYTE is disabled.

      I have heard that an additional service pack is available to upgrade the
      Borland C++ compiler to 5.5.2, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere
      on the net. I don't know if that would make a difference or not (seems
      doubtful).

      Here's what I get, using Vim 6.0au out of the box:

      make -f Make_bc5.mak GUI=no MBYTE=no ICONV=no CPU=5

      buffer.c:
      Error E2356 buffer.c 64: Type mismatch in redeclaration of 'open_buffer'
      Error E2344 proto\buffer.pro 2: Earlier declaration of 'open_buffer'
      Error E2356 buffer.c 241: Type mismatch in redeclaration of 'buf_valid'
      Error E2344 proto\buffer.pro 3: Earlier declaration of 'buf_valid'
      [snip]
      Error E2356 buffer.c 1189: Type mismatch in redeclaration of 'buflist_new'
      Error E2344 proto\buffer.pro 13: Earlier declaration of 'buflist_new'
      Error E2356 buffer.c 1371: Type mismatch in redeclaration of 'free_buf_options'
      Error E2228 buffer.c 1371: Too many error or warning messages
      *** 26 errors in Compile ***

      Experiments show that the culprit is MBYTE. If I use

      make -f Make_bc5.mak GUI=no ICONV=no CPU=5

      then all is well.

      I have tinkered considerably with the makefile and, to a lesser extent,
      with FEAT_MBYTE settings in feature.h to try and figure out the problem,
      but no go so far. Anybody have any ideas?

      Thanks

      --
      David Kotchan
      dkotchan@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
        At 11:49 PM 9/2/2001 -0400, David Kotchan wrote:
        >Experiments show that the culprit is MBYTE. If I use
        >
        >make -f Make_bc5.mak GUI=no ICONV=no CPU=5
        >
        >then all is well.
        >
        >I have tinkered considerably with the makefile and, to a lesser extent,
        >with FEAT_MBYTE settings in feature.h to try and figure out the problem,
        >but no go so far. Anybody have any ideas?

        Looks like Bram was right the first time :) The initial setting of the
        FASTCALL option was still being set to 1 instead of "yes". Also, there was
        a small bug when initializing it due to incorrect checks for MBYTE and
        ICONV. The attached patch to 6.0au Make_bc5.mak should fix the
        problem. Let me know if it works for you.

        Dan Sharp