Vim version 6.0au BETA available

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2001
      This is the "golden" BETA for Vim 6.0.

      Again mostly bug fixes. I expect the 6.0 release in just a few weeks now.
      Please try to find every bug, documentation mistake, omission, etc.

      I noticed that a few people didn't report problems, assuming someone else
      would do that. Well, if you still see a problem now, apparently nobody
      reported it yet, so you better do that _now_!

      Changes
      -------

      PostScript printing:
      - Made "duplex" work. (Mike Williams)
      - Added paper size to the PostScript file, makes GhostView display the pages
      correctly. (Mike Williams)
      - Added paper sizes "A3", "A5", "legal", etc. (Mike Williams)
      - When aborting printing with CTRL-C, don't send the file to the printer.

      New Syntax files:
      lftp LFTP (Nikolai Weibull)
      readline readline config (Nikolai Weibull)
      mush mush sourcecode (Bek Oberin)
      wget Wget configuration (Doug Kearns)
      sqlforms SQL*Forms (Austin Ziegler)

      Added "/dyn" to ":version" output for dynamic gettext, iconv and IME. (Taro
      Muraoka)

      Added compiler plugin for ant. (Johannes Zellner)

      Added Ukranian message translations. (Bohdan Vlasyuk)

      Included changes for QNX with Photon GUI (Julian Kinraid):
      - The photon menus work a lot better now (hotkeys, mnemonics, ghosting).
      - Support for mouse shapes.
      - Support for the gui-toolbar.
      - Improvements to dialogs, inputdialog() is supported and you can press escape
      to cancel a dialog.
      - A bug in the keyboard input handler is fixed (shifted keys weren't always
      working properly).
      - Plus various minor improvements to the photon code.

      Added ":augroup! name" to delete an autocommand group. Needed for the
      client-server "--remote-wait".

      Add Vim version number to the viminfo file, useful for debugging.

      Fixes
      -----

      GTK GUI with Gnome: inputdialog() didn't return the entered text. (Andy Kahn)

      Gvimext didn't build with Borland. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

      GTK GUI: Tearoff items were added even when 'guioptions' didn't contain 't'
      when starting up.

      Motif/Athena: When 'mousefocus' was set, the mouse would not be positioned
      correctly, because of the toolbar. Get the mouse pointer position directly
      from the text widget, instead of using the shell and correcting for scrollbar
      and menu.
      Need to handle X events in exposure callbacks to avoid redraw problems when
      drawing is slow. (Martin Dalecki)

      MS-Windows: When the current directory includes a "~", searching files with
      "gf" or ":find" didn't work. A "$" in the directory had the same problem.
      Added mch_has_exp_wildcard() functions.

      When not using xfontsets, would still use XtDefaultFontSet for the menu font,
      should be XtDefaultFont.

      When defining signs, removing them and defining them again Vim would crash.
      (Tomas Zellerin)

      When reducing the Vim window height while starting up, would get an
      out-of-memory error message.

      When doing "make" Gnome was disabled by default, but running "configure"
      directly had it enabled. Now it's also disabled for "configure".

      client-server:
      - Unix: Didn't properly recognize windows used by Vim. (Flemming Madsen)
      - When using --remote-wait with the same file twice (either with the same
      client or with two clients) there would only be one response from the server
      and the client was stuck. (Flemming Madsen)
      - Unix: When using ":gui" the window ID wasn't used correctly
      - Case differences in the server name were not always ignored.
      - When starting up, the window title didn't always include the server name.
      - Win32: Could lockup on DDE with broadcast messages. Use the window title to
      find servers instead.
      - Win32: A client using "--remote-wait" would not exit if the server was quit
      before all files were edited. (Paul Moore)
      - Win32 console: There was a delay when exiting, caused by sending the
      broadcast message. Removed that and check every second if the server is
      still running.

      The unit of margins in 'printoptions' wasn't checked properly. "in" is to big
      to be useful, added "pt" for points. (Mike Williams)

      When printing duplex (which is the default) and there is an odd number of
      pages, a blank page was added.

      ":hardcopy > file.ps" wrote the file " file.ps" (wht a leading space).

      When producing PostScript, syntax HL resynced on each character. Now it's
      quite a bit faster.

      IRIX: Ctrl-keys didn't work when compiled with XIM. (David Harrison)

      When editing a very long search pattern, 'incsearch' caused the redraw of the
      command line to fail.

      Motif GUI: On some systems the "Help" menu would not be on the far right, as
      it should be. On some other systems (esp. IRIX) the command line would not
      completely show. Solution is to only resize the menubar for Lesstif.

      ":match none" didn't redraw to remove the highlighting. (Aric Blumer)

      Using "%" in a line that contains "\\" twice didn't take care of the quotes
      properly. Now make a difference between \" and \\".

      For non-Unix systems a dummy file is created when finding a swap name to
      detect a 8.3 filesystem. When there is an existing swap file, would get a
      warning for the file being created outside of Vim. Also, when closing the Vim
      window the file would remain.

      Motif: The menu height was always computed, using a "-menuheight" argument
      was setting the room for the command line. Now make clear the argument is not
      supported.

      Included a few fixes for the Win16 port. (Vince Negri)

      Pasting with the middle mouse button pasted after the pointer position instead
      of before it. coladvance() returned FAIL while it should be OK.

      Unix: When writing a file and the backup is made by renaming the original
      file, the inode number changes. This was not reflected in the inode kept with
      the buffer.

      For some (EBCDIC) systems, POUND was equal to '#'. Added an #if for that to
      avoid a duplicate case in a switch.

      The GUI may have problems when forking. Always call _exit() instead of exit()
      in the parent, the child will call exit().

      Win32 GUI: Accented characters were often wrong in dialogs and tearoff menus.
      Now use CP_ACP instead of CP_OEMCP. (Vince Negri)

      When 'autoread' is set, reloading the file moved the cursor to the first line.

      Selecting a word in Visual mode with the mouse and pasting it in a line above
      didn't remove the highlighting.

      Win32: When getting the locale language in gvimext and option.c, recognize
      "jpn" for "ja" and "cht" for "zh_TW".

      When displaying text with syntax highlighting causes an error (e.g., running
      out of stack) the syntax highlighting is disabled to avoid further messages.

      When a command in a .vimrc or .gvimrc causes an ATTENTION prompt, and Vim was
      started from the desktop (no place to display messages) it would hang. Now
      open the GUI window early to be able to display the messages and pop up the
      dialog.

      When 'delcombine' is set but 'encoding' is not "utf-8" would still check for
      deleting combining characters.

      "r<CR>" on a multi-byte character deleted only the first byte of the
      character. "3r<CR>" deleted three bytes instead of three characters.

      When 'virtualedit' is "all", using "p" just after the last character in a line
      putted before the cursor like "P".

      When interrupting reading a file, Vi considers the buffer modified. Added the
      'i' flag in 'cpoptions' flag for this (we don't want it modified to be able to
      do ":q").

      'cindent': When "l1" is in 'cinoptions', don't align on a "{" after a "case"
      statement. (David Bustos)

      Epilogue
      --------

      WARNING: This is still an unstable version. Most functionality should work
      fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
      try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at least let me
      know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

      More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6". Or look here:
      http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php.

      If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
      new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

      You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/
      More information about downloading: http://vim.sf.net/download.php

      Unix:
      unix/vim-6.0au.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
      unix/vim-6.0au-rt1.tar.gz runtime files part 1
      unix/vim-6.0au-rt2.tar.gz runtime files part 2
      unix/vim-6.0au-src1.tar.gz sources part 1
      unix/vim-6.0au-src2.tar.gz sources part 2
      unix/vim-6.0at-6.0au.diff.gz diff between 6.0at and 6.0au

      Various:
      extra/vim-6.0au-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.0au-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      extra/vim-6.0at-6.0au-extra.diff.gz extra diff
      extra/vim-6.0at-6.0au-lang.diff.gz multi-lang diff
      doc/vim60auhtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-Windows:
      pc/gvim60au.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
      pc/vim60aurt.zip runtime files
      pc/vim60aulang.zip extra files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim60au.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
      pc/gvim60auole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim60au_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1
      pc/vim60aud16.zip 16 bits real mode - works on any system
      pc/vim60aud32.zip 32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
      pc/vim60auw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim60ausrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      Amiga:
      amiga/vim60aurt.tgz runtime files
      amiga/vim60aubin.tgz binaries
      amiga/vim60ausrc.tgz sources packed for Amiga

      OS/2:
      os2/vim60aurt.zip runtime files
      os2/vim60auos2.zip binaries

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      LAUNCELOT: I am, sir. I am a Knight of King Arthur.
      FATHER: 'Mm ... very nice castle, Camelot ... very good pig country....

    • Robert Webb
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2001
        > This is the "golden" BETA for Vim 6.0.

        Ha! Let's hope we don't make it to zinc!

        Rob.

        --

        Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
        Want to make polyhedra?
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > This is the "golden" BETA for Vim 6.0.

          And the next is -platinum- maybe?? :-)

          > PostScript printing:
          > - Made "duplex" work. (Mike Williams)

          This doesn't say much details, but as a data point the 'color' printing
          from 'vim' (not gvim) still doesn't work, b&w and lots of underlining
          is produced, maybe Mike is still working on it.

          Also popt should have duplex:off as the default, would be safer.

          ---Zdenek
        • Mike Williams
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
            On 3 Sep 2001, at 12:00, Zdenek Sekera wrote:

            > > PostScript printing:
            > > - Made "duplex" work. (Mike Williams)
            >
            > This doesn't say much details,

            I think this is no more than try and make it more bullet proof. As
            per your printer, there are situations that are out of the control of
            the PS and it just wont work at all. :(

            > but as a data point the 'color' printing
            > from 'vim' (not gvim) still doesn't work, b&w and lots of underlining
            > is produced, maybe Mike is still working on it.

            You are gonna hate this, but 'it works for me'. More detail and I
            would be happy to look into. This may be a function of Windows
            console version not being able to switch to a gui version like Unix
            vim can. The way the code builds may be different which is causing
            the problem. Just a thought.

            TTFN

            Mike
            --
            Did you really expect mere truth to sway my opinion?
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
              Zdenek Sekera wrote:

              > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > >
              > > This is the "golden" BETA for Vim 6.0.
              > >

              > And the next is -platinum- maybe?? :-)

              Platinum is "pt", hopefully we have a release before that!
              We did pass silver unnoticed...

              > > PostScript printing:
              > > - Made "duplex" work. (Mike Williams)
              >
              > This doesn't say much details, but as a data point the 'color' printing
              > from 'vim' (not gvim) still doesn't work, b&w and lots of underlining
              > is produced, maybe Mike is still working on it.

              It does work for me. The colors are a bit strange though.

              > Also popt should have duplex:off as the default, would be safer.

              I'm trying to save some trees... Printers that can't duplex will
              automatically fall back to simplex. At least, that's what is supposed
              to happen.

              --
              TALL KNIGHT: We are now no longer the Knights Who Say Ni!
              ONE KNIGHT: Ni!

            • Zdenek Sekera
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                Mike Williams wrote:

                > On 3 Sep 2001, at 12:00, Zdenek Sekera wrote:
                >
                > > > PostScript printing:
                > > > - Made "duplex" work. (Mike Williams)
                > >
                > > This doesn't say much details,
                >
                > I think this is no more than try and make it more bullet proof.

                Very useful.

                > As
                > per your printer, there are situations that are out of the control of
                > the PS and it just wont work at all. :(

                Actually no, with duplex:off it works, so it's a beauty, I just know
                now I must *not* to forget it to set it.
                If that was made default, more printers would work out of box (even mine
                :-).

                > > but as a data point the 'color' printing
                > > from 'vim' (not gvim) still doesn't work, b&w and lots of underlining
                > > is produced, maybe Mike is still working on it.
                >
                > You are gonna hate this, but 'it works for me'.

                Not really, only jealous :-)

                > More detail and I
                > would be happy to look into.

                Coming, see below.

                > This may be a function of Windows
                > console version not being able to switch to a gui version like Unix
                > vim can. The way the code builds may be different which is causing
                > the problem. Just a thought.

                No, I am on Irix (that's SGI unix).

                Here are the details. In short: if t_Co= blank/nothing , my display
                is still in colors but the printout comes out B&W.
                It's more of my setup problem than postscript generation I think.

                Maybe more details are useful, just in case any of (Irix?) users can
                shed some light on this (I am actually chasing that problem for maybe
                2 years now without any success at all).

                Facts:
                I am using Irix (currently 6.5.13, highest) with Xfree xterm (the latest
                version) *not* the SGI released xterm, because this one is B&W only. For
                Irix insiders: I am not using winterm (xwsh) because I don't really like
                colors it gives me and I find it less configurable than Xfree86 xterm.

                I get the best display colors when I run SGI released terminfo with
                Xfree86 xterm (so, *not* the terminfo released with Xfree xterm).
                Colors are bright and text on vim display is very readable IMHO.
                To me it's *beautiful* :-)
                The SGI terminfo has no color settings and, indeed, to get those
                beautiful colors I have to have t_Co= blank !!!!

                That worked automatically and beautifully before the Xfree xterm
                included
                OPT_TCAP_QUERY, since then vim interrogates at the beginning the
                xterm for actual termcap color codes and also obtains t_Co from xterm
                (see term.c:~4980 and afterwards).

                I have my xterm compiled with support for 88 colors (now) but I 'set
                t_Co='
                in .vimrc. However, since vim interrogates xterm asynchronously, the
                final
                value of t_Co depends on who got there last: .vimrc reading or the
                xterm query.

                So my starts either with t_Co='' colors or t_Co=88 colors (that I don't
                like
                that much).

                BUT: if t_Co has a value, the :ha will print in colors
                if t_Co has no value (is empty/blank) printout will comeout in B&W
                with number of things underlined

                What's hard for me to understand (and I have no clue) is why do I get
                colors on my display for t_Co='' but the generated postscript is B&W.
                This may be an academical question since I think I *should have* t_Co
                defined when colors are to be present but the fact is the best colors
                I get with t_Co=''...hmmmm...

                Would anyone on this have an idea what's going on here?

                ---Zdenek
              • Mike Williams
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                  On 3 Sep 2001, at 13:55, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > > Also popt should have duplex:off as the default, would be safer.
                  >
                  > I'm trying to save some trees... Printers that can't duplex will
                  > automatically fall back to simplex. At least, that's what is supposed
                  > to happen.

                  Empirically it does not. Zdenek has a printer that if you try to
                  turn duplex mode on it aborts the job. There seems to be no way to
                  detect and cope with this from PS, at least not using any standard
                  way.

                  TTFN

                  Mike
                  --
                  The shortest distance between two points is under repair.
                • Zdenek Sekera
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                    Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > This doesn't say much details, but as a data point the 'color' printing
                    > > from 'vim' (not gvim) still doesn't work, b&w and lots of underlining
                    > > is produced, maybe Mike is still working on it.
                    >
                    > It does work for me. The colors are a bit strange though.

                    Se my other mail on that.

                    > > Also popt should have duplex:off as the default, would be safer.
                    >
                    > I'm trying to save some trees... Printers that can't duplex will
                    > automatically fall back to simplex. At least, that's what is supposed
                    > to happen.

                    I think you really do save trees, see this:
                    I have a printer (can't be all that exceptional) that is simplex
                    but the driver is screwed up and if the PS file contains a 'duplex:on'
                    equivalent setting (ask Mike), it will silently ignore my file.
                    That's even betterway of saving trees, but not my nerves :-).
                    Bottom line: if a printer doesn't handle and option, it is *very*
                    hard to findout what's going on (not a vim problem), we went through
                    that with Mike. duplex:off should work for all printers and if one
                    wants to try duplex:on, just set it: if you get no output you know
                    you shouldn't have done that. This is easier than getting nothing
                    and trying to guess why. Apparently all that postscript printing
                    is a real science :-).

                    ---Zdenek
                  • Matt Dunford
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                      On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:23:57PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > This is the "golden" BETA for Vim 6.0.
                      >
                      > Again mostly bug fixes. I expect the 6.0 release in just a few weeks now.
                      > Please try to find every bug, documentation mistake, omission, etc.
                      >
                      > I noticed that a few people didn't report problems, assuming someone else
                      > would do that. Well, if you still see a problem now, apparently nobody
                      > reported it yet, so you better do that _now_!

                      I'm having a small problem w/ what's generated in src/proto. Here's my
                      error:

                      %> uname -a
                      SunOS io 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
                      %> CFLAGS="-g -pipe" ./configure --without-x --disable-gui && make
                      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/local/include -g -pipe -o objects/ex_docmd.o ex_docmd.c
                      ex_docmd.c: In function `ex_autocmd':
                      ex_docmd.c:3464: too many arguments to function `do_augroup'
                      make: *** [objects/ex_docmd.o] Error 1

                      The prototype for do_augroup in proto/fileio.pro is:
                      void do_augroup __ARGS((char_u *arg));
                      which is wrong.

                      I would like to debug this problem, but I really don't know where to
                      start. Any advice would be much appreciated.

                      PS: This also occured in 6.0at but with different functions (I forget which
                      ones).

                      --
                      - Matt Dunford <> zoot@... ..
                      -. www.zotikos.com -- o,;-

                      "Public speaking is very easy."
                      -- Vice President Dan Quayle to reporters in 10/88
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                        Matt Dunford wrote:

                        > I'm having a small problem w/ what's generated in src/proto. Here's my
                        > error:
                        >
                        > %> uname -a
                        > SunOS io 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
                        > %> CFLAGS="-g -pipe" ./configure --without-x --disable-gui && make
                        > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/local/include -g -pipe -o objects/ex_docmd.o ex_docmd.c
                        > ex_docmd.c: In function `ex_autocmd':
                        > ex_docmd.c:3464: too many arguments to function `do_augroup'
                        > make: *** [objects/ex_docmd.o] Error 1
                        >
                        > The prototype for do_augroup in proto/fileio.pro is:
                        > void do_augroup __ARGS((char_u *arg));
                        > which is wrong.

                        That is not the prototype in the file. You are using an older version
                        of the file. Did you have problems unpacking the archive?

                        --
                        Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                          Zdenek Sekera wrote:

                          > > > Also popt should have duplex:off as the default, would be safer.
                          > >
                          > > I'm trying to save some trees... Printers that can't duplex will
                          > > automatically fall back to simplex. At least, that's what is supposed
                          > > to happen.
                          >
                          > I think you really do save trees, see this:
                          > I have a printer (can't be all that exceptional) that is simplex
                          > but the driver is screwed up and if the PS file contains a 'duplex:on'
                          > equivalent setting (ask Mike), it will silently ignore my file.
                          > That's even betterway of saving trees, but not my nerves :-).
                          > Bottom line: if a printer doesn't handle and option, it is *very*
                          > hard to findout what's going on (not a vim problem), we went through
                          > that with Mike. duplex:off should work for all printers and if one
                          > wants to try duplex:on, just set it: if you get no output you know
                          > you shouldn't have done that. This is easier than getting nothing
                          > and trying to guess why. Apparently all that postscript printing
                          > is a real science :-).

                          We already came to the conclusion that your printer is broken (doesn't
                          do what PostScript specifies). I hesitate to support broken printers.
                          Especially because you are the only one that ran into this problem.

                          --
                          Lose weight, NEVER Diet again with
                          The "Invisible Weight Loss Patch"

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                            Zdenek Sekera wrote:

                            > What's hard for me to understand (and I have no clue) is why do I get
                            > colors on my display for t_Co='' but the generated postscript is B&W.
                            > This may be an academical question since I think I *should have* t_Co
                            > defined when colors are to be present but the fact is the best colors
                            > I get with t_Co=''...hmmmm...
                            >
                            > Would anyone on this have an idea what's going on here?

                            I don't see how you can get syntax colors while t_Co is empty. Perhaps
                            the bold/italic/underline attributes are displayed as colors for you
                            (that's how it works on the Amiga)?

                            --
                            ROBIN: The what?
                            ARTHUR: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 'Tis one of the sacred relics

                          • Mike Williams
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                              On 3 Sep 2001, at 18:29, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                              > We already came to the conclusion that your printer is broken (doesn't
                              > do what PostScript specifies). I hesitate to support broken printers.
                              > Especially because you are the only one that ran into this problem.

                              Ok, perhaps I was a bit too free and easy with my accusations of
                              'broken' - it is certainly an odd-ball from this point of view
                              (setting duplex on that is). Perhaps the local sys-admin knows how
                              to alter this bahaviour, or it may be worth going back to the printer
                              manufacturer to see if there is an upgrade (software or hardware)
                              that removes this undesirable behaviour.

                              TTFN

                              Mike
                              --
                              Got a life, but wasn't sure what to do with it.
                            • Nazri Ramliy
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 3, 2001
                                On Windows NT 4.0, console version, 6.0au

                                vim -u NONE -U NONE

                                then

                                :help

                                [help.txt displayed, no colors]

                                :syn enable

                                [nothing happens]

                                :syn enable

                                [now it's in color]

                                same thing goes with :syn on, have to do it twice to get the color on.

                                Bug?

                                Regards,
                                Nazri
                              • Matt Dunford
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 4, 2001
                                  On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 06:29:34PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                  > > I'm having a small problem w/ what's generated in src/proto. Here's my
                                  > > error:
                                  > >
                                  > > [...] *snip*
                                  > >
                                  > > The prototype for do_augroup in proto/fileio.pro is:
                                  > > void do_augroup __ARGS((char_u *arg));
                                  > > which is wrong.
                                  >
                                  > That is not the prototype in the file. You are using an older version
                                  > of the file. Did you have problems unpacking the archive?

                                  You're right. The problem is on my end. I'm using the cvs'd version.
                                  But somehow I managed to munge the proto directory, causing the files
                                  inside not to be updated by cvs. All is well now. Sorry about that.

                                  --
                                  - Matt Dunford <> zoot@... ..
                                  -. www.zotikos.com -- o,;-

                                  Why I love being a californian:
                                  Unlike back home, the guy at 8:30 am at Starbucks wearing
                                  the baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney IS George
                                  Clooney.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 4, 2001
                                    Nazri Ramliy wrote:

                                    > On Windows NT 4.0, console version, 6.0au
                                    >
                                    > vim -u NONE -U NONE
                                    >
                                    > then
                                    >
                                    > :help
                                    >
                                    > [help.txt displayed, no colors]
                                    >
                                    > :syn enable
                                    >
                                    > [nothing happens]
                                    >
                                    > :syn enable
                                    >
                                    > [now it's in color]
                                    >
                                    > same thing goes with :syn on, have to do it twice to get the color on.
                                    >
                                    > Bug?

                                    Well, at least it is unexpected. What happens is that the
                                    $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim script triggers autocommands to get the
                                    filetypes detected for bufferes that are already open. But since the
                                    help file type isn't detected but set manually, it won't get
                                    highlighting. When doing it a second time the script knows that the
                                    file type doesn't need to be detected, and only sets the 'syntax'
                                    options to 'filetype', which then works.

                                    This patch should fix it:

                                    *** ../vim-6.0au/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim Sun Sep 2 19:28:33 2001
                                    --- runtime/syntax/syntax.vim Tue Sep 4 10:57:08 2001
                                    ***************
                                    *** 35,42 ****

                                    " Execute the syntax autocommands for the each buffer.
                                    " If the filetype wasn't detected yet, do that now.
                                    ! if s:did_ft
                                    ! doautoall syntaxset FileType
                                    ! else
                                    doautoall filetypedetect BufRead
                                    endif
                                    --- 35,43 ----

                                    " Execute the syntax autocommands for the each buffer.
                                    " If the filetype wasn't detected yet, do that now.
                                    ! " Always do the syntaxset autocommands, for buffers where the 'filetype'
                                    ! " already was set manually (e.g., help buffers).
                                    ! doautoall syntaxset FileType
                                    ! if !s:did_ft
                                    doautoall filetypedetect BufRead
                                    endif

                                    --
                                    BEDEVERE: How do you know so much about swallows?
                                    ARTHUR: Well you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

                                  • Zdenek Sekera
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 4, 2001
                                      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                      > IRIX: Ctrl-keys didn't work when compiled with XIM. (David Harrison)

                                      Still true, doesn't work.

                                      :ver
                                      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0au BETA (2001 Sep 2, compiled Sep 3 2001 14:03:59)
                                      Compiled by zs@amati
                                      Normal version with X11-Motif GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                                      +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                                      +clientserver +clipboard
                                      +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv +cscope
                                      +dialog_con_gui +diff
                                      +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi
                                      +file_in_path
                                      +find_in_path +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv
                                      +insert_expand
                                      +jumplist -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
                                      +localmap +menu
                                      +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
                                      -mouse_jsbterm
                                      -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -osfiletype
                                      +path_extra -perl
                                      +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
                                      -signs +smartindent
                                      +sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
                                      -tag_any_white -tcl
                                      +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands
                                      +vertsplit +virtualedit
                                      +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
                                      +writebackup +X11
                                      +xfontset +xim +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                                      ^^^^
                                      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                                      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                                      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                                      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                                      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                                      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/people/zs/share/vim"
                                      Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF
                                      -DFUNCPROTO=7 -DNARROWPROTO -
                                      I/usr/include/X11 -n32 -mips3 -OPT:Olimit=0 -g
                                      Linking: cc -L/usr/lib/X11 -n32 -mips3 -ltermlib -L/usr/local/lib -o
                                      vim -lXmu -lXext -lXm
                                      -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -ltermlib
                                    • David Harrison Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 4, 2001
                                        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                        >Fixes
                                        >-----
                                        >
                                        >IRIX: Ctrl-keys didn't work when compiled with XIM. (David Harrison)

                                        Actually, that's not the case. It was the "lost character" after going
                                        into insert mode or typing a colon.

                                        The CTRL keys still don't work. I'm still trying to figure out why.

                                        FYI,
                                        David Harrison Jr.