Re: Launch time in 60as (perhaps earlier?)

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      Mark Ping wrote:

      > I've been trying out the 60as version, and I've noticed that the
      > launch time has changed significantly since 60am (the previous version
      > I was using).
      >
      > In 60as (and 60at) the launch time is routinely ~3 seconds, whereas
      > 60am is almost always less than 1 second. Anyone else experience this
      > problem? I tried launching without loading plugins, etc.
      > (gvim60as.exe --noplugin -u NONE -U NONE) and didn't see any
      > difference--60am with the same options launched instantly.
      >
      > I'm running Win2K SP 1 on an 800MHz PIII w/256 MB of RAM.

      Are you using a gvim with the same features? The "big" version that's
      included in the self-installing executable does dynamic loading of a few
      libraries, perhaps that slows down startup a bit. I only noticed a
      slowdown on the start of the first Vim though, not when I start it
      again.

      --
      I'm sure that I asked CBuilder to do a "full" install. Looks like I got
      a "fool" install, instead. Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
        Vince Negri wrote:

        > In which version did we add the /DELAYLOAD: stuff to the makefile...?

        A few versions back. But it's not used for the version I compile, since
        I don't have VC 6.0.

        --
        DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
        basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives

      • E. Mark Ping
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2001
          On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, E. Mark Ping wrote:

          >I've been trying out the 60as version, and I've noticed that the
          >launch time has changed significantly since 60am (the previous version
          >I was using).

          It turns out this was associated with a hung MSDEV (Visual C++)
          process--the GUI was gone but the process was still there. Once the
          process was removed, the launch time was back to normal.

          Mark Ping
          emarkp@...