Launch time in 60as (perhaps earlier?)

  • E. Mark Ping
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2001
      I've been trying out the 60as version, and I've noticed that the
      launch time has changed significantly since 60am (the previous version
      I was using).

      In 60as (and 60at) the launch time is routinely ~3 seconds, whereas
      60am is almost always less than 1 second. Anyone else experience this
      problem? I tried launching without loading plugins, etc.
      (gvim60as.exe --noplugin -u NONE -U NONE) and didn't see any
      difference--60am with the same options launched instantly.

      I'm running Win2K SP 1 on an 800MHz PIII w/256 MB of RAM.

      Mark Ping
      emarkp@...
    • Ali Akcaagac
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2001
        On 2001.08.31 21:35:46 +0200 E. Mark Ping wrote:
        > I've been trying out the 60as version, and I've noticed that the
        > launch time has changed significantly since 60am (the previous version
        > I was using).
        >
        > In 60as (and 60at) the launch time is routinely ~3 seconds, whereas
        > 60am is almost always less than 1 second. Anyone else experience this
        > problem? I tried launching without loading plugins, etc.
        > (gvim60as.exe --noplugin -u NONE -U NONE) and didn't see any
        > difference--60am with the same options launched instantly.
        >
        > I'm running Win2K SP 1 on an 800MHz PIII w/256 MB of RAM.

        less than 1 second here...

        try stripping the debuginfo stuff out of the vim executable :)

        --
        Name....: Ali Akcaagac
        E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@...-wilhelmshaven.de
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
          In which version did we add the /DELAYLOAD: stuff to the makefile...?

          Vince

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
            Mark Ping wrote:

            > I've been trying out the 60as version, and I've noticed that the
            > launch time has changed significantly since 60am (the previous version
            > I was using).
            >
            > In 60as (and 60at) the launch time is routinely ~3 seconds, whereas
            > 60am is almost always less than 1 second. Anyone else experience this
            > problem? I tried launching without loading plugins, etc.
            > (gvim60as.exe --noplugin -u NONE -U NONE) and didn't see any
            > difference--60am with the same options launched instantly.
            >
            > I'm running Win2K SP 1 on an 800MHz PIII w/256 MB of RAM.

            Are you using a gvim with the same features? The "big" version that's
            included in the self-installing executable does dynamic loading of a few
            libraries, perhaps that slows down startup a bit. I only noticed a
            slowdown on the start of the first Vim though, not when I start it
            again.

            --
            I'm sure that I asked CBuilder to do a "full" install. Looks like I got
            a "fool" install, instead. Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
              Vince Negri wrote:

              > In which version did we add the /DELAYLOAD: stuff to the makefile...?

              A few versions back. But it's not used for the version I compile, since
              I don't have VC 6.0.

              --
              DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no
              basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives

            • E. Mark Ping
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2001
                On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, E. Mark Ping wrote:

                >I've been trying out the 60as version, and I've noticed that the
                >launch time has changed significantly since 60am (the previous version
                >I was using).

                It turns out this was associated with a hung MSDEV (Visual C++)
                process--the GUI was gone but the process was still there. Once the
                process was removed, the launch time was back to normal.

                Mark Ping
                emarkp@...