Vim version 6.0as BETA available

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2001
      This is the fourth BETA for Vim 6.0. Again a number of problems were fixed.

      The printer funcionality is mostly ready now. The main thing missing is a
      printer dialog for non-MS-Windows systems. This should be added within the
      the next week, otherwise I'll postpone it until after 6.0. If you can help
      implementing this, please let me know!

      The remote control functionality has been renamed. Most of it now also works
      in MS-Windows, although there are a few remaining problems. This is
      implemented completely differently now, using Windows messages instead of OLE
      (mostly done by Paul Moore). If you are interested, please check out how this
      is implemented. Other programs might also use the messages, thus we must make
      sure they don't need incompatible changes later.

      Going beta means I'll drastically cut down on including new features. Finding
      and fixing problems is the main work now!

      Major changes
      -------------

      Renamed arguments and functions for the command server:
      --serversend to --remote-send
      --serverexpr to --remote-expr
      serversend() to remote_send() and remote_expr()
      servernames() to serverlist()
      serverreply_peek() to remote_peek()
      serverreply_read() to remote_read()
      serverreply_send() to server2client()
      Renamed autocommand event ServerReplyRecv to RemoteReply

      Changed the Win32 --remote stuff from using OLE to windows messages. Now it
      should work with any Win32 version. For the user it works the same way as
      with Unix. (Paul Moore)

      Other changes
      -------------

      PostScript printing: Recognize a fontsize in 'printfont', e.g., ":h12".

      MS-Windows console: Printing didn't use the right fonts. Moved get_logfont()
      to os_mswin.c. Now include windows.h always. (Xiangjiang Ma, Vince Negri)

      Printing: Added "collate" to the 'printoptions' option.

      Don't include doc/uganda.nsis.txt in the distribution. It's only needed for
      the nsis installer and it can be generated from uganda.txt.

      Win32: Load comdlg32.dll delayed for faster startup. Only when using VC 6.
      (Vipin Aravind)

      Win32: When compiling with Borland, allow using IME. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

      Added the foreground() function, used by --remote.

      Fixes
      -----

      Make_bc5.mak contained some lines for TCL twice, including a "!if".

      When using IME on the console to enter a file name, the screen may scroll up.
      Redraw the screen then. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

      The default value for 'printexpr' was wrong and in read-only memory, which
      would cause a crash when it's used.

      Motif: Compilation problem when there is no xpm.h file. (Martin Dalecki)

      Motif: The find/replace dialog didn't align the labels correctly. (Martin
      Dalecki)
      In the find/replace dialog the "Replace" button didn't work first time, second
      time it replaced all matches. Removed the use of ":s///c".
      GTK: Similar problems with the find/replace dialog, moved the code to a common
      function.

      X11: Use shared GC's for text. (Martin Dalecki)

      When editing with two windows, using ":help" and then ":only" in the bottom
      window, would end up with only the middle window.

      'printexpr' was missing from the options window.

      "]i" found the match under the cursor, instead of the first one below it.
      Same for "]I", "] CTRL-I", "]d", "]D" and "] CTRL-D".

      Win16: When maximized and the font is changed, don't change the window size.
      Fix building with BC5. (Vince Negri)

      In the explorer plugin a backslash was missing, causing "i" (toggle extra
      info) to generate an error.

      After formatting a paragraph with no comments, a paragraph with comments
      was formatted like it had no comments. Removed the ugly fo_do_comments global
      variable that was the cause of this problem.

      GTK Gnome: A dialog with a textfield would not use Gnome. A dialog could pop
      up far from the Vim window. (Andy Kahn)

      Win32: Using dimm.idl with VC5.0 generated an error. In gui_w48.c a warning
      was given for redefining DefWindowProc. (Walter Briscoe)

      The "rrhelper" plugin caused problems when starting in compatible mode.

      When displaying a message again after updating the display, it was put in the
      message history twice. Reset keep_msg in msg_attr_keep().

      MS-Windows printing: When using an italic font with an overlap between char
      cells, a small part was chopped off. Now don't do that when there is a white
      background.

      When using a command like ":cn", v:statusmsg wasn't set.

      After "hi Tooltip font=5x7", "hi clear" the tooltips were empty or caused a
      crash. Now always use a fontset for the tooltips. (David Harrison)

      The X11 server code used replace_termcodes(), which depends on 'cpoptions'.
      Now it works independent of 'cpoptions'. (Paul Moore)

      When 'lbr' is set, deleting a block of text could leave the cursor in the
      wrong position.

      Win32: When opening a file with the "Edit with Vim" popup menu entry,
      wildcards would cause trouble. Added the "--literal" argument to avoid
      expanding file names.

      When using "gv", it didn't restore that "$" was used in Visual block mode.

      Win32 GUI: When the window is maximized and setting 'columns' or 'lines'
      the window didn't resize.

      Win32 GUI: While waiting for a shell command to finish, the window wasn't
      redrawn at all. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

      Syntax highlighting: A match that continues on a next line because of a
      contained region didn't end when that region ended.

      The ":s" command didn't allow flags like 'e' and 'i' right after it.

      When using ":s" to split a line, marks were moved to the next line. Vi keeps
      them in the first line.

      When using ":n" ":rew", the previous context mark was at the top of the file,
      while Vi puts it in the same place as the cursor. Made it Vi compatible.

      Fixed Vi incompatibility: Text was not put in register 1 when using "c" and
      "d" with a motion character, when deleting within one line with one of the
      commands: % ( ) `<character> / ? N n { }

      Epilogue
      --------

      WARNING: This is still an unstable version. Most functionality should work
      fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
      try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at least let me
      know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

      More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6". Or look here:
      http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php.

      If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
      new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

      You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/
      More information about downloading: http://vim.sf.net/download.php

      Unix:
      unix/vim-6.0as.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
      unix/vim-6.0as-rt1.tar.gz runtime files part 1
      unix/vim-6.0as-rt2.tar.gz runtime files part 2
      unix/vim-6.0as-src1.tar.gz sources part 1
      unix/vim-6.0as-src2.tar.gz sources part 2
      unix/vim-6.0ar-6.0as.diff.gz diff between 6.0ar and 6.0as

      Various:
      extra/vim-6.0as-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.0as-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      extra/vim-6.0ar-6.0as-extra.diff.gz extra diff
      extra/vim-6.0ar-6.0as-lang.diff.gz multi-lang diff
      doc/vim60ashtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-Windows:
      pc/gvim60as.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
      pc/vim60asrt.zip runtime files
      pc/vim60aslang.zip extra files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim60as.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
      pc/gvim60asole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim60as_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1
      pc/vim60asd16.zip 16 bits real mode - works on any system
      pc/vim60asd32.zip 32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
      pc/vim60asw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim60assrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      Amiga:
      amiga/vim60asrt.tgz runtime files
      amiga/vim60asbin.tgz binaries
      amiga/vim60assrc.tgz sources packed for Amiga

      OS/2:
      os2/vim60asrt.zip runtime files
      os2/vim60asos2.zip binaries

      Happy Vimming!

      9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
      net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.

    • Martin Dalecki
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2001
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > This is the fourth BETA for Vim 6.0. Again a number of problems were fixed.
        >
        > The printer funcionality is mostly ready now. The main thing missing is a
        > printer dialog for non-MS-Windows systems. This should be added within the
        > the next week, otherwise I'll postpone it until after 6.0. If you can help
        > implementing this, please let me know!

        Since I didn't follow the developement of the printing functionality,
        please give me some hints about which command has to be implemented
        precisely
        to trigger the dialogue and which FEAT_ should be turned on. I will
        clone the
        corresponding stuff then for the Motif GUI implementation.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21, 2001
          Martin Dalecki wrote:

          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > >
          > > This is the fourth BETA for Vim 6.0. Again a number of problems were
          > > fixed.
          > >
          > > The printer funcionality is mostly ready now. The main thing missing is a
          > > printer dialog for non-MS-Windows systems. This should be added within
          > > the the next week, otherwise I'll postpone it until after 6.0. If you can
          > > help implementing this, please let me know!
          >
          > Since I didn't follow the developement of the printing functionality, please
          > give me some hints about which command has to be implemented precisely to
          > trigger the dialogue and which FEAT_ should be turned on. I will clone the
          > corresponding stuff then for the Motif GUI implementation.

          In ex_cmds2.c, function mch_print_init(), there is a TODO item. This is where
          the dialog should be called.

          FEAT_PRINTER is enabled by default, when compiling with normal features.

          What needs to be added here is some intermediate structure to store the
          defaults from 'printoptions' and other option values, which can be changed by
          the dialog.

          Unfortunately there is still nothing, thus it looks like the printer dialog
          isn't going to make it into 6.0. I'm not going to delay 6.0 for it.

          --
          "I simultaneously try to keep my head in the clouds and my feet on the
          ground. Sometimes it's a stretch, though." -- Larry Wall