HiLinkTrace plugin: tracking down those highlighting groups

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hello!

      I've used the following map (shown gzipped and uuencoded below) to the
      F10 key to determine what highlighting groups are active:

      ex. taken with cursor on signature below yields

      hi<mailSignature> trans<mailSignature> lo<PreProc>

      begin 600 f10.vim.gz
      M'XL(`'TK:#L``\M-+%!0L'$S-+!34+!*3<[(5U#*R+114M!3**[,\W1)+"DI
      MT@"S-'(R\U(UE/24-'62\W,@#$--':6\Q-Q4)4V@>G4[A9*BQ+QB&W7B-!L@
      ?:U:R4\C)QV8MV$A\+D`U1<G&.<B."P!I%4IWU0```'4[
      `
      end

      However, if a highlighting group is linked to a highlighting group which
      in turn is linked to yet another highlighting group, then the
      information about the middle group(s) isn't shown.

      Although slower, the plugin (use \hlt with cursor on spot in question)
      from http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs (see
      HiLinkTrace) shows that extra information.

      ex. In my <.vimrc> is
      com! CCg w|!CC -g ${ILIST} % ${LLIST} -o %:r

      with the cursor on the % on %:r

      \hlt yields:
      vimSpecFileMod -> vimSpecFile -> Identifier

      <F10> yields:
      hi<vimSpecFile> trans<vimSpecFile> lo<Identifier>

      If the transparency group differs from the top highlighting group, then
      it appears first in \hlt's chain of groups prefixed by a "T:".

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

      --
      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __