Re: quickfix + background

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

      > Are there any plans to let :make compile in background, while still
      > allow to use :cc and browse files as usual?

      No, Vim doesn't have multi-tasking support internally.

      What you can do is start make in the background and redirect the errors into a
      file:

      :!make >& {filename} &

      When it's finished get the error list with:

      :cfile {filename}

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      :-F Bucktoothed vampire with one tooth missing

    • Bohdan Vlasyuk
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:25:18PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > What you can do is start make in the background and redirect the errors into a
        > file:
        > :!make >& {filename} &
        > When it's finished get the error list with:
        > :cfile {filename}
        Yes, that's much better, but how can I avoid jumping to error after
        file is opened ??

        Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden", so
        that :cn and :cp would skip them ??

        BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??

        --
        The man who has never been flogged has never been taught.
        -- Menander
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

          > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:25:18PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >
          > > What you can do is start make in the background and redirect the errors
          > > into a file:
          > > :!make >& {filename} &
          > > When it's finished get the error list with:
          > > :cfile {filename}
          > Yes, that's much better, but how can I avoid jumping to error after
          > file is opened ??

          If you don't want to jump to an error, then why do you open it? Anyway, you
          can use CTRL-O to jump back.

          > Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden", so
          > that :cn and :cp would skip them ??

          Not manually. The errors that are not recognized are skipped.

          > BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??

          I don't think modlines are ever used, since it's not a file that is being
          shown in the quickfix buffer. It is filled from the list of errors. Did you
          ever noticed a modeline being used in the quickfix window?

          --
          From "know your smileys":
          |-( Contact lenses, but has lost them

        • Bohdan Vlasyuk
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 06:04:48PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            >> Yes, that's much better, but how can I avoid jumping to error after
            >> file is opened ??
            > If you don't want to jump to an error, then why do you open it?
            To see if there's one I'm looking for (BTW, except errors, warnings
            are).

            > Anyway, you can use CTRL-O to jump back.
            And <C-W>p to back to :cw... Ok.

            >> Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden",
            >> so that :cn and :cp would skip them ??
            > Not manually. The errors that are not recognized are skipped.
            Could this be ever implemented ?? e.g. if one deletes line in :cw, it
            becomes `hidden' in the above sence..

            >> BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??
            > I don't think modlines are ever used
            Sorry, I've meant 'nomod'..

            [just thought it's similar to 'noro']

            --
            When smashing monuments, save the pedstals -- they always come in handy.
            -- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
              Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

              > >> Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden",
              > >> so that :cn and :cp would skip them ??
              > > Not manually. The errors that are not recognized are skipped.
              > Could this be ever implemented ?? e.g. if one deletes line in :cw, it
              > becomes `hidden' in the above sence..

              Implementing this as a new feature sounds a bit complicated. Not something
              that many people will use. Perhaps you can use folding?

              > >> BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??
              > > I don't think modlines are ever used
              > Sorry, I've meant 'nomod'..

              Oh, that's something very different. I suppose this is possible. Would there
              be a reason to modify the quickfix buffer? Anyway, if you really wanted too,
              you can set 'modifiable'. At least it prevents the relation between line
              number and error number to get messed up.

              94. Now admit it... How many of you have made "modem noises" into
              the phone just to see if it was possible? :-)