quickfix + background

  • Bohdan Vlasyuk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      Are there any plans to let :make compile in background, while still
      allow to use :cc and browse files as usual?

      --
      Can anything be sadder than work left unfinished? Yes, work never begun.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

        > Are there any plans to let :make compile in background, while still
        > allow to use :cc and browse files as usual?

        No, Vim doesn't have multi-tasking support internally.

        What you can do is start make in the background and redirect the errors into a
        file:

        :!make >& {filename} &

        When it's finished get the error list with:

        :cfile {filename}

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-F Bucktoothed vampire with one tooth missing

      • Bohdan Vlasyuk
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:25:18PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > What you can do is start make in the background and redirect the errors into a
          > file:
          > :!make >& {filename} &
          > When it's finished get the error list with:
          > :cfile {filename}
          Yes, that's much better, but how can I avoid jumping to error after
          file is opened ??

          Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden", so
          that :cn and :cp would skip them ??

          BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??

          --
          The man who has never been flogged has never been taught.
          -- Menander
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

            > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:25:18PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            > > What you can do is start make in the background and redirect the errors
            > > into a file:
            > > :!make >& {filename} &
            > > When it's finished get the error list with:
            > > :cfile {filename}
            > Yes, that's much better, but how can I avoid jumping to error after
            > file is opened ??

            If you don't want to jump to an error, then why do you open it? Anyway, you
            can use CTRL-O to jump back.

            > Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden", so
            > that :cn and :cp would skip them ??

            Not manually. The errors that are not recognized are skipped.

            > BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??

            I don't think modlines are ever used, since it's not a file that is being
            shown in the quickfix buffer. It is filled from the list of errors. Did you
            ever noticed a modeline being used in the quickfix window?

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            |-( Contact lenses, but has lost them

          • Bohdan Vlasyuk
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
              On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 06:04:48PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              >> Yes, that's much better, but how can I avoid jumping to error after
              >> file is opened ??
              > If you don't want to jump to an error, then why do you open it?
              To see if there's one I'm looking for (BTW, except errors, warnings
              are).

              > Anyway, you can use CTRL-O to jump back.
              And <C-W>p to back to :cw... Ok.

              >> Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden",
              >> so that :cn and :cp would skip them ??
              > Not manually. The errors that are not recognized are skipped.
              Could this be ever implemented ?? e.g. if one deletes line in :cw, it
              becomes `hidden' in the above sence..

              >> BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??
              > I don't think modlines are ever used
              Sorry, I've meant 'nomod'..

              [just thought it's similar to 'noro']

              --
              When smashing monuments, save the pedstals -- they always come in handy.
              -- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
                Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

                > >> Would it ever be possible to make some errors in :cw as "hidden",
                > >> so that :cn and :cp would skip them ??
                > > Not manually. The errors that are not recognized are skipped.
                > Could this be ever implemented ?? e.g. if one deletes line in :cw, it
                > becomes `hidden' in the above sence..

                Implementing this as a new feature sounds a bit complicated. Not something
                that many people will use. Perhaps you can use folding?

                > >> BTW, how about setting 'nomo' in :cw ??
                > > I don't think modlines are ever used
                > Sorry, I've meant 'nomod'..

                Oh, that's something very different. I suppose this is possible. Would there
                be a reason to modify the quickfix buffer? Anyway, if you really wanted too,
                you can set 'modifiable'. At least it prevents the relation between line
                number and error number to get messed up.

                94. Now admit it... How many of you have made "modem noises" into
                the phone just to see if it was possible? :-)