6.0 request- : [range]so

  • Walter Briscoe
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      In article <3B676777.50C46DBA@...> of Tue, 31 Jul 2001
      22:20:39 in !vim-dev, Benji Fisher <benji@...> writes
      >Ron Aaron wrote:
      >>
      >> It would be very handy and probably easy to implement, to allow the ":so"
      >> command to accept a range.
      >>
      >> The idea would be to be able to say
      >>
      >> /begin/+, /end/- so
      >>
      >> to source a part of a file.
      >>
      >> Ideas?
      >>
      >> Ron
      >
      > Are you thinking that the line numbers (or search pattern) would apply to
      >the :sourced file? I am not sure I like that idea: the range normally refers
      >to lines in the current buffer. How about something along the lines of the :e
      >+{cmd} syntax, like

      It looks like feature bloat to me. I would do that via a window for that
      file. I imagine that Ron could cook up a function to encapsulate the
      requirement. What advantages would such a command offer? How frequently
      would it be used? I can't imagine using it often enough to justify
      remembering it.
      --
      Walter Briscoe
    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001

        > Do you have any serious applications in mind?
        >
        > --Benji Fisher

        I have a mapping to scoop up parts of a vim file and source them. e.g.,
        I'll visually highlight some lines, press ;x and the text that was hl gets
        executed.

        This is very useful, and it would be nice if it could be done more simply
        than how I do it (e.g. destroying a register, etc.).

        Ron