Vim version 6.0ap BETA available

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
      Yes, this is the first BETA for Vim 6.0. I did make a few last-minute
      changes, thus I'll wait a couple of days before announcing it outside vimdev.

      Going beta means I'll drastically cut down on including new features. Finding
      and fixing problems is the main work now. One item that might still be added
      is making "--remote" work with OLE, so that we can discard "SendToVim.exe" and
      "EditWithVim.exe".

      Major changes
      -------------

      GTK: Support running Vim inside another window. Uses the --socketid argument
      (Neil Bird) Doesn't work perfectly yet, but it's a good start to use Vim
      inside another application.

      Unix: remote server commands: (Flemming Madsen)
      - Added the --remote-wait argument: Edit the file in another Vim and wait for
      it to finish.
      - Added functions to evaluate an expression in another Vim.
      - Added functions to send a message from the server back to the client.
      - Removed the ":serversend" and ":serverlist" commands, they have been
      replaced with functions.

      Other changes
      -------------

      Don't let a ":lmap" apply to already mapped keys. Avoids that a mapping like
      ":map n /[<CR>" remaps "[" again.

      MS-Windows install and uninstall:
      - NSIS: Let install.exe add the uninstall registry entry.
      - DJGPP: Also removes the uninstall registry key.

      Made "~" on multi-byte characters that have a third case ("title case") switch
      between the three cases. (Raphael Finkel)

      New syntax files:
      eterm Eterm configuration (Nikolai Weibull)
      natural Natural (Marko Leipert)

      When a ":cd" command was typed, echo the new current directory. (Dan Sharp)

      Writing 'makeef' in the current directory fails in a read-only directory and
      causes trouble when using ":grep" on all files. Made the default empty for
      all systems, so that a temp file is used.

      Win32: Added possibility to load TCL dynamically. (Muraoka Taro)
      Also for Borland 5.5. (Dan Sharp)

      Various performance improvements:
      - Win32: When a file name doesn't end in ".lnk" don't try resolving a
      shortcut, it takes quite a bit of time.
      - Don't update the mouse pointer shape while there are typeahead characters.
      - Change META[] from a string into an array, avoids using strchr() on it.
      - Don't clear the command line when adding characters, avoids that screen_fill
      is called but doesn't do anything.

      Added the +vreplace feature. It is disabled in the "small" version to avoid
      that the 16 bit DOS version quickly runs out of memory (it still does though).

      Fixes
      -----

      When reloading a file that was changed outside of Vim, and the buffer was
      empty, the last line was missing. When the reloaded file is shorter could get
      ml_get errors when the cursor is beyond the new end of the file.

      In runtime/mswin.vim CTRL-Y was mapped to redo. This broke using CTRL-Y to
      copy the modeless selection. Removed the mapping for CTRL-Z and CTRL-Y in the
      command line.

      When using <C-RightMouse> a count was discarded.

      When typing CTRL-V and <RightMouse> in the command line, would insert
      <LeftMouse>.

      Using "vis" or "vas" when 'selection' is exclusive didn't include the last
      character.

      When using "precedes" in 'listchar' and 'list' is on, the highlighting for a
      tab would be wrong.

      When adding to an option like 'grepprg', leading space would be lost. Don't
      expand environment variables when there is no comma separating the items.

      When jumping to an error and already there, a fold wouldn't open. (Mary Ellen
      Foster) Preserve "KeyTyped" when filling the quickfix buffer, otherwise the
      fold also won't open.

      Win32: Exiting with changes gives a dialog box with "Yes" highlighted, but
      Cancel was the default action (when hitting enter). (Michael Schaap)

      When using ":s" to replace a multi-line match and the "c" flag is used, could
      delete too many lines.

      Using 'o' in 'mouseshape didn't work, the shape was only updated when moving
      the mouse around. The 'e' flag didn't work at all.

      GUI: When using a bold-italic font, would still use the bold trick and
      underlining.

      Motif: The default button didn't work in dialogs, the first one was always
      used. Had to give input focus to the default button.

      When using CTRL-T to jump within the same file, the '' mark wasn't set.

      Undo wasn't Vi compatible when using the 'c' flag for ":s". Now it undoes the
      whole ":s" command instead of each confirmed replacement.

      The Buffers menu, when torn-off, disappeared when being refreshed. Add a
      dummy item to avoid this.

      Removed calling msg_start() in main(), it should not be needed.

      Multi-byte with 'rightleft': a double-wide character was displayed at the
      wrong position.

      With 'rightleft' a line that just doesn't wrap caused an empty line to appear.

      When using "+=" to add to 'fileencodings' no comma was inserted.

      vim_strpbrk() did not support multibyte characters. (Muraoka Taro)

      Motif: Changing the Tooltip font caused a crash. (David Harrison)

      ":hardcopy" with a range that didn't include any text caused a crash. (Vipin
      Aravind)

      Win32: When printing duplex and the number of pages is odd, the first page of
      a second copy could be put on the back of the last page of the first copy.
      Duplexing with uncollated copies was wrong.

      Mac: Several prototypes were missing. (Axel Kielhorn)

      The Amiga version didn't compile, the code was too big for relative jumps.
      Moved a few files from ex_docmd.c to ex_cmds2.c

      Win32: The vimtutor entry in the start menu didn't work. It started gvim.bat
      instead of gvim.exe. Set the working directory to make it find gvim.exe.

      Epilogue
      --------

      WARNING: This is an unstable version. Many things have been added without
      proper testing. It does crash. It may destroy your work. New features may
      change incompatibly in the next version.

      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
      try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at least let me
      know how exactly to reproduce the problem.

      More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".

      If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
      new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

      You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

      Unix:
      unix/vim-6.0ap.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
      unix/vim-6.0ap-rt1.tar.gz runtime files part 1
      unix/vim-6.0ap-rt2.tar.gz runtime files part 2
      unix/vim-6.0ap-src1.tar.gz sources part 1
      unix/vim-6.0ap-src2.tar.gz sources part 2

      Various:
      extra/vim-6.0ap-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.0ap-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      doc/vim60aphtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-Windows:
      pc/gvim60ap.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
      pc/vim60aprt.zip runtime files
      pc/vim60aplang.zip extra files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim60ap.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
      pc/gvim60apole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim60ap_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1
      pc/vim60apd16.zip 16 bits real mode - works on any system
      pc/vim60apd32.zip 32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
      pc/vim60apw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim60apsrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      Amiga:
      amiga/vim60aprt.tgz runtime files
      amiga/vim60apbin.tgz binaries
      amiga/vim60apsrc.tgz sources packed for Amiga

      OS/2:
      os2/vim60aprt.zip runtime files
      os2/vim60apos2.zip binaries

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

    • Ali Akcaagac
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
        On 2001.07.29 17:48:32 +0200 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Yes, this is the first BETA for Vim 6.0. I did make a few last-minute
        > changes, thus I'll wait a couple of days before announcing it outside vimdev.
        >
        > Going beta means I'll drastically cut down on including new features. Finding
        > and fixing problems is the main work now. One item that might still be added
        > is making "--remote" work with OLE, so that we can discard "SendToVim.exe" and
        > "EditWithVim.exe".

        borked...

        --prefix=/usr

        and why does it install in /usr/local ?

        --
        Name....: Ali Akcaagac
        E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@...-wilhelmshaven.de
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
          Ali Akcaagac wrote:

          > borked...
          >
          > --prefix=/usr
          >
          > and why does it install in /usr/local ?

          It works fine for me. You must have done something wrong. Start with "make
          distclean".

          -- Steven Wright

        • Ali Akcaagac
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
            On 2001.07.29 19:35:27 +0200 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Ali Akcaagac wrote:
            >
            > > borked...
            > >
            > > --prefix=/usr
            > >
            > > and why does it install in /usr/local ?
            >
            > It works fine for me. You must have done something wrong. Start with "make
            > distclean".

            aye.... this time it worked... but only if i enter 'make distclean' before
            without it, then it installs in /usr/local again. i never needed to enter
            distclean before. but ok. if no one else confirms this issue then ok.

            --
            Name....: Ali Akcaagac
            E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@...-wilhelmshaven.de
          • Bill McCarthy
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
              Bram wrote:

              > You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

              OK, that's the same place. As in the past (I'm using WinNT & Win2K),
              I could download (by slow modem - no high speed internet yet in most
              of the USA):

              > unix/vim-6.0ap.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
              > extra/vim-6.0ap-extra.tar.gz extra files

              That's 3,418k.

              Now it looks like I should now be downloading:

              > pc/vim60aprt.zip runtime files
              > pc/vim60apsrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

              Which is just a little bigger for CR-LF (3,615k).

              I see we now have the self installing option. But if you wish to add
              the future patches, you also need the src file. So

              > pc/gvim60ap.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
              > pc/vim60apsrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

              Adds up to 4,760k. But if you're not compiling, but you want VIM.EXE,
              you would need:

              > pc/gvim60ap.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
              > pc/vim60apw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP

              Which adds up to 3,747k and no source!

              The exe approach is just too big at near 5 meg and the unknown factor
              of possible srewing up registry entries. Is there any real advantage
              of using the pc/ files instead of sticking with the bz2 and extra
              files? Is there a disadvantage in just using RT.ZIP and SRC.ZIP from
              the pc/ directory vs bz2 and extra?

              Thanks,
              Bill
            • David Kotchan
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
                >Yes, this is the first BETA for Vim 6.0. I did make a few last-minute
                >changes, thus I'll wait a couple of days before announcing it outside vimdev.

                I have a reproducible problem with the DOS 32-bit version of Vim 6.0ap (beta):

                open a file
                do :vsplit
                cursor is in left window; scroll down (using j), works OK
                do ^W l to switch focus to the right window
                scroll down (using j)

                Problem: windows scroll together and left-hand window does not redraw
                properly (eventually scrolls off-screen and becomes blank). As well, the
                vertical marker column does not draw properly as you scroll.

                Using ^W h to switch focus to the left window does not redraw the (empty)
                window until the left-hand window needs to scroll.

                I just checked, this problem also existed in Vim 6.0ao (alpha). Using "-u
                NONE" does not help.
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
                  David Kotchan wrote:

                  > I have a reproducible problem with the DOS 32-bit version of Vim 6.0ap (beta):
                  >
                  > open a file
                  > do :vsplit
                  > cursor is in left window; scroll down (using j), works OK
                  > do ^W l to switch focus to the right window
                  > scroll down (using j)
                  >
                  > Problem: windows scroll together and left-hand window does not redraw
                  > properly (eventually scrolls off-screen and becomes blank). As well, the
                  > vertical marker column does not draw properly as you scroll.
                  >
                  > Using ^W h to switch focus to the left window does not redraw the (empty)
                  > window until the left-hand window needs to scroll.
                  >
                  > I just checked, this problem also existed in Vim 6.0ao (alpha). Using "-u
                  > NONE" does not help.

                  I can reproduce it. It was probably present in quite a few versions already,
                  I didn't change anything in this area for a while.

                  What appears to happen is that the right window is redrawn while a scroll area
                  is defined. Outputting the last character in the last line of the scroll
                  area makes the screen scroll up.

                  The patch below fixes this. Actually, the DOS 32 bit version can use a
                  vertical scroll region, that should be much faster.

                  *** screen.c.orig Sat Jul 28 22:55:59 2001
                  --- screen.c Sun Jul 29 21:35:46 2001
                  ***************
                  *** 6686,6691 ****
                  --- 6686,6694 ----
                  * Always do this in a vertically split window. This will redraw from
                  * ScreenLines[] when t_CV isn't defined. That's faster than using
                  * win_line().
                  + * Don't use a scroll region when we are going to redraw the text, writing
                  + * a character in the lower right corner of the scroll region causes a
                  + * scroll-up in the DJGPP version.
                  */
                  if (scroll_region
                  #ifdef FEAT_VERTSPLIT
                  ***************
                  *** 6694,6700 ****
                  )
                  {
                  #ifdef FEAT_VERTSPLIT
                  ! if (scroll_region)
                  #endif
                  scroll_region_set(wp, row);
                  if (del)
                  --- 6697,6703 ----
                  )
                  {
                  #ifdef FEAT_VERTSPLIT
                  ! if (scroll_region && (wp->w_width == Columns || *T_CSV != NUL))
                  #endif
                  scroll_region_set(wp, row);
                  if (del)
                  ***************
                  *** 6704,6710 ****
                  retval = screen_ins_lines(W_WINROW(wp) + row, 0, line_count,
                  wp->w_height - row, wp);
                  #ifdef FEAT_VERTSPLIT
                  ! if (scroll_region)
                  #endif
                  scroll_region_reset();
                  return retval;
                  --- 6707,6713 ----
                  retval = screen_ins_lines(W_WINROW(wp) + row, 0, line_count,
                  wp->w_height - row, wp);
                  #ifdef FEAT_VERTSPLIT
                  ! if (scroll_region && (wp->w_width == Columns || *T_CSV != NUL))
                  #endif
                  scroll_region_reset();
                  return retval;

                  --
                  Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

                • Aric Blumer
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                    I don't recall seeing this reported yet. If I enter the following
                    command with Vim compiled with GTK:

                    :echo inputdialog("Enter a String: ", "default")

                    a dialog pops up saying "Enter a String:", but there is no text field in
                    which to enter/edit the text. The OK and Cancel buttons are there,
                    though.

                    gtk-config --version prints 1.2.9.

                    Can anyone else reproduce this?

                    I also noticed that the mouse cursor is invisible in the main Vim
                    window, but shows up over the dialog window. This is a bit annoying.

                    BTW, I get the same behavior with gvim -u NONE -U NONE.

                    Here is the vital Vim information:

                    VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ap BETA (2001 Jul 29, compiled Jul 30 2001 09:16:05)
                    Compiled by aric@...
                    Normal version with GTK-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                    +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +cmdline_compl
                    +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs
                    -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path -osfiletype
                    +find_in_path +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +insert_expand +jumplist
                    -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap -keymap +menu
                    +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
                    -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang +path_extra -perl -printer -python
                    +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
                    -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo
                    +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit
                    +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
                    +X11 -xfontset +xim +xcmdsrv +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                    system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                    user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                    user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                    system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                    user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                    fall-back for $VIM: "/us/aric/vim60/share/vim"
                    Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -
                    I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include -DNEE
                    D_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/i
                    nclude -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
                    Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -l
                    gtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -rdynamic -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/
                    lib -rdynamic -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXi -lXext -lgnome
                    -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb1 -lglib -ldl -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl
                  • Bohdan Vlasyuk
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                      On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:30:14AM -0400, Aric Blumer wrote:

                      > If I enter the following command with Vim compiled with GTK:
                      > :echo inputdialog("Enter a String: ", "default")
                      > a dialog pops up saying "Enter a String:", but there is no text
                      > field in which to enter/edit the text. The OK and Cancel buttons
                      > are there, though.
                      > gtk-config --version prints 1.2.9.
                      > Can anyone else reproduce this?
                      No, works for me. [1.2.10]

                      > I also noticed that the mouse cursor is invisible in the main Vim
                      > window, but shows up over the dialog window. This is a bit annoying.
                      Also differs [i.e. works] for me..

                      > Here is the vital Vim information:
                      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ap BETA (2001 Jul 29, compiled Jul 30 2001 09:16:05)
                      > -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb1 -lglib -ldl -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl
                      Most significant difference -- I don't have GNOME support compiled in.

                      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ap BETA (2001 Jul 29, compiled Jul 31 2001 16:22:56)
                      úËÏÍЦÌØÏ×ÁÎÏ -- root@...
                      ÷ÅÒÓ¦Ñ `normal' Ú Ð¦ÄÔÒÉÍËÏÀ GTK GUI.
                      í¦ÓÔÉÔØ (+) [ÁÂÏ ÎŠͦÓÔÉÔØ (-)] ÔÁ˦ ËÏÍÐÏÎÅÎÔÉ:
[...]
                      ÓÉÓÔÅÍÎÉÊ vimrc: "$VIM/vimrc"
                      vimrc ËÏÒÉÓÔÕ×ÁÞÁ: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                      exrc ËÏÒÉÓÔÕ×ÁÞÁ: "$HOME/.exrc"
                      ÓÉÓÔÅÍÎÉÊ gvimrc: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                      gvimrc ËÏÒÉÓÔÕ×ÁÞÁ: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                      ÓÉÓÔÅÍÎÅ ÍÅÎÀ: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
                      ÚÁͦÎÁ ÄÌÑ $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
                      úËÏÍЦÌØÏ×ÁÎÏ: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/local/include/gtk-1.2 -I/us
                      r/local/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include -g
                      -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
                      úËÏÍÐÏÎÏ×ÁÎÏ: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lg
                      tk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lm -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl

                      --
                      Philosophy: A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
                      -- Ambrose Bierce
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                        On Tue Jul 31 09:42:40 2001 Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:
                        > No, works for me. [1.2.10]
                        > . . .
                        > Most significant difference -- I don't have GNOME support compiled in.

                        Thanks, Bohdan.

                        I recompiled with 'config --without-gnome', and it now works completely
                        as expected (including the mouse pointer), so it must have something to
                        do with the GNOME support.

                        For what it's worth, I am using RedHat 7.1, and here are the gnome and
                        gtk RPMs that are installed:

                        % rpm -qa | grep 'gnome\|gtk'
                        gnome-media-1.2.0-12
                        switchdesk-gnome-3.9.5-1
                        pygnome-1.0.53-7
                        openssh-askpass-gnome-2.5.2p2-5
                        gnome-utils-1.2.1-5
                        libgnomeprint11-0.25-9
                        gnome-audio-extra-1.0.0-12
                        gnome-linuxconf-0.64-1
                        up2date-gnome-2.5.4-1
                        gtk-engines-0.10-12
                        pygtk-libglade-0.6.6-7
                        rep-gtk-gnome-0.15-3
                        gnome-applets-1.2.4-3
                        gnome-audio-1.0.0-12
                        gtk+-1.2.9-4
                        gnome-pim-1.2.0-9
                        pygnome-libglade-0.6.6-7
                        rep-gtk-libglade-0.15-3
                        gnome-core-1.2.4-16
                        gnome-print-0.25-9
                        gnome-core-devel-1.2.4-16
                        gnome-libs-1.2.8-11
                        pygtk-0.6.6-7
                        gnome-libs-devel-1.2.8-11
                        gnome-objc-1.0.2-11
                        gnome-users-guide-1.2-3
                        rep-gtk-0.15-3
                        gnome-objc-devel-1.0.2-11
                        gtk+-devel-1.2.9-4
                        gnome-pim-devel-1.2.0-9
                        rhn_register-gnome-1.3.2-1
                      • Martin Dalecki
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                          Aric Blumer wrote:

                          > On Tue Jul 31 09:42:40 2001 Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:
                          > > No, works for me. [1.2.10]
                          > > . . .
                          > > Most significant difference -- I don't have GNOME support compiled in.
                          >
                          > Thanks, Bohdan.
                          >
                          > I recompiled with 'config --without-gnome', and it now works completely
                          > as expected (including the mouse pointer), so it must have something to
                          > do with the GNOME support.
                          >
                          > For what it's worth, I am using RedHat 7.1, and here are the gnome and
                          > gtk RPMs that are installed:

                          Some bgous moron added support for "native gnome dialogues" in Vim,
                          without thinking much about the text entry field issue I guess.
                          I personally as the original authour of the GTK+ port have
                          great *disrespect* for the whole gnome stuff and don't welcome it
                          inside Vim at all, in esp. since it doesn't provide any sensible
                          additional functionality and only makes Vim inherit all the
                          GNOME problems. Most prominently the /dev/dsp issue to name a one.
                          And then it makes Vim dependant upon .so.0.0.x libraries for no good
                          reason.

                          If you still ask why I disrespect them, well tar xvzf
                          any-gnome-source.tar.gz
                          and lokking at the code there will tell you fast...
                        • Andy Kahn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                            On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:30:18AM -0400, Aric Blumer wrote:
                            > On Tue Jul 31 09:42:40 2001 Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:
                            > > No, works for me. [1.2.10]
                            > > . . .
                            > > Most significant difference -- I don't have GNOME support compiled in.
                            >
                            > Thanks, Bohdan.
                            >
                            > I recompiled with 'config --without-gnome', and it now works completely
                            > as expected (including the mouse pointer), so it must have something to
                            > do with the GNOME support.

                            Odd. This used to work, even in vim 6.0ao. Back then, GNOME wasn't
                            actually being used for dialogs which needed text input. It would
                            just build a dialog box using regular GTK. I'm not sure why this
                            behavior changed. Perhaps it's the check for the socket id. In
                            6.0ao, the check is:

                            # ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
                            /* If Gnome is available, use it for the simple button dialog. */
                            if (textfield == NULL)
                            return gui_gnome_dialog(type, title, message, buttons, def_but);
                            # endif

                            But in 6.0ap, it's:

                            # ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
                            /* If Gnome is available, use it for the simple button dialog. */
                            if (gtk_socket_id == 0 || textfield == NULL)
                            return gui_gnome_dialog(type, title, message, buttons, def_but);
                            # endif

                            The problem is that in Vim, a "question" dialog means that it requires
                            user's text input. A "question" dialog in GNOME just means it asks a
                            user a question, and the answers are in the buttons of the dialog.

                            Anyhow, that socket stuff only got added recently.
                            --andy
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                              Aric Blumer wrote:

                              > I don't recall seeing this reported yet. If I enter the following
                              > command with Vim compiled with GTK:
                              >
                              > :echo inputdialog("Enter a String: ", "default")
                              >
                              > a dialog pops up saying "Enter a String:", but there is no text field in
                              > which to enter/edit the text. The OK and Cancel buttons are there,
                              > though.

                              Right, I see it too. I thought this used to work...

                              > I also noticed that the mouse cursor is invisible in the main Vim
                              > window, but shows up over the dialog window. This is a bit annoying.

                              Yes, that should be fixed too.

                              --
                              From "know your smileys":
                              y:-) Bad toupee

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                                Martin Dalecki wrote:

                                > Aric Blumer wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On Tue Jul 31 09:42:40 2001 Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:
                                > > > No, works for me. [1.2.10]
                                > > > . . .
                                > > > Most significant difference -- I don't have GNOME support compiled in.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks, Bohdan.
                                > >
                                > > I recompiled with 'config --without-gnome', and it now works completely
                                > > as expected (including the mouse pointer), so it must have something to
                                > > do with the GNOME support.
                                > >
                                > > For what it's worth, I am using RedHat 7.1, and here are the gnome and
                                > > gtk RPMs that are installed:
                                >
                                > Some bgous moron added support for "native gnome dialogues" in Vim,
                                > without thinking much about the text entry field issue I guess.
                                > I personally as the original authour of the GTK+ port have
                                > great *disrespect* for the whole gnome stuff and don't welcome it
                                > inside Vim at all, in esp. since it doesn't provide any sensible
                                > additional functionality and only makes Vim inherit all the
                                > GNOME problems. Most prominently the /dev/dsp issue to name a one.
                                > And then it makes Vim dependant upon .so.0.0.x libraries for no good
                                > reason.

                                True, adding Gnome support doesn't give that much extra. A few nicer looking
                                icons perhaps. And it does cause trouble. Perhaps I should disable it by
                                default? On the other hand, we would never encounter the Gnome problems then,
                                they will probably not get fixed.

                                --
                                From "know your smileys":
                                ;-0 Can't find shift key

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                                  Andy Kahn wrote:

                                  > Odd. This used to work, even in vim 6.0ao. Back then, GNOME wasn't
                                  > actually being used for dialogs which needed text input. It would
                                  > just build a dialog box using regular GTK. I'm not sure why this
                                  > behavior changed. Perhaps it's the check for the socket id. In
                                  > 6.0ao, the check is:
                                  >
                                  > # ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
                                  > /* If Gnome is available, use it for the simple button dialog. */
                                  > if (textfield == NULL)
                                  > return gui_gnome_dialog(type, title, message, buttons, def_but);
                                  > # endif
                                  >
                                  > But in 6.0ap, it's:
                                  >
                                  > # ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
                                  > /* If Gnome is available, use it for the simple button dialog. */
                                  > if (gtk_socket_id == 0 || textfield == NULL)
                                  > return gui_gnome_dialog(type, title, message, buttons, def_but);
                                  > # endif

                                  Good point. Shouldn't that "if" line be:

                                  if (gtk_socket_id == 0 && textfield == NULL)

                                  Since we can only use Gnome when there is no textfield AND no socket.

                                  When using confirm() the problem of the mouse pointer being invisible still
                                  exists.

                                  --
                                  From "know your smileys":
                                  (:-# Said something he shouldn't have

                                • Michael Piefel
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                    > --
                                    > From "know your smileys":
                                    > ;-0 Can't find shift key

                                    Funny since I have to use Shift twice to enter that smiley. German
                                    keyboards are a real disadvantage: This joke would look like
                                    ,-9 Kann Umschalttaste nicht finden
                                    in German, and I guess most people would take a long time to understand
                                    this...

                                    Bye,
                                    Mike

                                    --
                                    |=| Michael Piefel piefel@...-berlin.de
                                    |=| Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin http://www.piefel.de
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                      > Martin Dalecki wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Aric Blumer wrote:

                                      > > > Thanks, Bohdan.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I recompiled with 'config --without-gnome', and it now works completely
                                      > > > as expected (including the mouse pointer), so it must have something to
                                      > > > do with the GNOME support.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > For what it's worth, I am using RedHat 7.1, and here are the gnome and
                                      > > > gtk RPMs that are installed:
                                      > >
                                      > > Some bgous moron added support for "native gnome dialogues" in Vim,
                                      > > without thinking much about the text entry field issue I guess.
                                      > > I personally as the original authour of the GTK+ port have
                                      > > great *disrespect* for the whole gnome stuff and don't welcome it
                                      > > inside Vim at all, in esp. since it doesn't provide any sensible
                                      > > additional functionality and only makes Vim inherit all the
                                      > > GNOME problems. Most prominently the /dev/dsp issue to name a one.
                                      > > And then it makes Vim dependant upon .so.0.0.x libraries for no good
                                      > > reason.
                                      >
                                      > True, adding Gnome support doesn't give that much extra. A few nicer looking
                                      > icons perhaps. And it does cause trouble. Perhaps I should disable it by
                                      > default? On the other hand, we would never encounter the Gnome problems then,

                                      Yes please.

                                      --
                                      - phone: +49 214 8656 283
                                      - job: eVision-Ventures AG, LEV .de (MY OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!)
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                        Andy Kahn wrote:
                                        > # ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
                                        > /* If Gnome is available, use it for the simple button dialog. */
                                        > if (gtk_socket_id == 0 || textfield == NULL)
                                        > return gui_gnome_dialog(type, title, message, buttons, def_but);
                                        > # endif

                                        Ah - that'll be my fault then. Sorry!

                                        Oh. No it isn't - that's not what I did. Here's what I sent
                                        Bram:

                                        # ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
                                        if (!gtk_socket_id)
                                        {
                                        /* If Gnome is available, use it for the simple button
                                        dialog. */
                                        if (textfield == NULL)
                                        return gui_gnome_dialog(type, title, message,
                                        buttons, def_but);
                                        }
                                        # endif

                                        Somewhat different. Methinks Bram mis-optimised!

                                        In that case, you should use '&&' not '||' in the current
                                        code.

                                        --
                                        =================- http://www.thalesgroup.com/ -================
                                        Neil Bird Principal Engineer |
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          > When using confirm() the problem of the mouse pointer being invisible still
                                          > exists.

                                          There's another problem with those gnome dialogues that I've
                                          only just associated with them. You get wads of errors if you
                                          use <space> to dismiss them .... and that <space> can be misred.

                                          Try 'vim file', then <Ctrl-Z> suspend it. Then 'gvim file'
                                          will try to report a lockfile. Basj space to page down the
                                          lockfile message, and the gui dialogue comes up & immediately
                                          goes away, leaving a trail of GTK warnings.

                                          At least it does for me, and IIRC always has.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                            On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:04:55PM +0100, Neil Bird wrote:
                                            > There's another problem with those gnome dialogues that I've
                                            > only just associated with them. You get wads of errors if you
                                            > use <space> to dismiss them .... and that <space> can be misred.
                                            >
                                            > Try 'vim file', then <Ctrl-Z> suspend it. Then 'gvim file'
                                            > will try to report a lockfile. Basj space to page down the
                                            > lockfile message, and the gui dialogue comes up & immediately
                                            > goes away, leaving a trail of GTK warnings.
                                            >
                                            > At least it does for me, and IIRC always has.

                                            What's "basj space"?

                                            When I hit the spacebar on this dialogue, it successfully selects the
                                            default selected button, which is the "Quit" button. Gvim then quits
                                            as expected. Are you doing something different?
                                            --andy
                                          • Andy Kahn
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                              On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:25:35AM +0200, Martin Dalecki wrote:
                                              > > icons perhaps. And it does cause trouble. Perhaps I should disable it by
                                              > > default? On the other hand, we would never encounter the Gnome
                                              > > problems then,
                                              >
                                              > Yes please.

                                              If you dislike gnome so much, then you should probably not have it
                                              installed on your system. If this is already the case, I don't see
                                              why you're making such a big fuss over it.
                                              --andy
                                            • Martin Dalecki
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                Andy Kahn wrote:

                                                > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:25:35AM +0200, Martin Dalecki wrote:
                                                > > > icons perhaps. And it does cause trouble. Perhaps I should disable it by
                                                > > > default? On the other hand, we would never encounter the Gnome
                                                > > > problems then,
                                                > >
                                                > > Yes please.
                                                >
                                                > If you dislike gnome so much, then you should probably not have it
                                                > installed on your system. If this is already the case, I don't see
                                                > why you're making such a big fuss over it.

                                                Blah blah blah. I have not installed it on my system. But some
                                                fucking RPM dependencies don't allow me to deinstall this crap
                                                *compleatly* from RedHat 7.1
                                              • Ron Aaron
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                  >> If you dislike gnome so much, then you should probably not have it
                                                  >> installed on your system. If this is already the case, I don't see
                                                  >> why you're making such a big fuss over it.
                                                  >
                                                  >Blah blah blah. I have not installed it on my system. But some
                                                  >f#$%#$%ng RPM dependencies don't allow me to deinstall this crap
                                                  >*compleatly* from RedHat 7.1

                                                  FWIW, I completely understand Martin's point of view. I never have
                                                  installed gnome on purpose, but unless you want a crippled system, you need
                                                  to install at least parts of it.

                                                  Martin, Slackware is a better choice if you want to eliminate unnecessary
                                                  weight on your Linux system (this is getting way off topic, though...)

                                                  Ron
                                                • Andy Kahn
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                    On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 07:08:51PM +0200, Martin Dalecki wrote:
                                                    > > If you dislike gnome so much, then you should probably not have it
                                                    > > installed on your system. If this is already the case, I don't see
                                                    > > why you're making such a big fuss over it.
                                                    >
                                                    > Blah blah blah. I have not installed it on my system. But some
                                                    > fucking RPM dependencies don't allow me to deinstall this crap
                                                    > *compleatly* from RedHat 7.1

                                                    This sounds more like a problem with your Linux installation, and not
                                                    a problem with vim.
                                                    --andy