Re: Vim version 6.0am ALPHA available

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
      Preben Peppe Guldberg wrote:

      > > The distribution files for Unix have been reorganised. The ".gz" files are
      > > now small enough to fit on a floppy. These can be used by (old) standalone
      > > systems. There is one big ".bz2" file that contains everything.
      >
      > I had a look at which files that were included where. In "src2", I saw
      > a lot of gui stuff and other files for icing on the cake. Not sure
      > excactly what the rationale (besides file size of tarballs) was, though.

      Not much really. I just had to split it up so that each archive was smaller
      than 1.4M. The current split up was the simplest to do in the Makefile that
      generates them.

      > I decided to compile vim with the src2 file only, but found that a few
      > files extra were needed (eg. Makefile). What I could do (with a bit of
      > tweaking) was:

      This is not supposed to work. You need both source archives. I think it's
      too difficult to try to use one archive for a minimal Vim. Trying to define
      what "minimal" is would already lead to lots of discussions.

      For the runtime archives I have put the indent/syntax/plugin scripts
      separately in one archive. This would allow replacing just this one when new
      versions of the script files become available. I'll also move "filetype.vim"
      and "scripts.vim" there, these tend to change often.

      83. Batteries in the TV remote now last for months.