Re: 60am: where to put 'set t_Co=' ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
      Zdenek Sekera wrote:

      > I have a special problem: I am using Xfree86 xterm(157)
      > with SGI termlib which *does not* support colors, but for
      > some reason I get beautiful colors (!!! yes I do!) when
      > I make sure 'set t_Co=', that is t_Co is *blank*.

      That's strange. Since you mention further on that t_Co is set to 88, you
      probably compiled xterm with the --enable-tcap-query feature. In that case,
      you shouldn't have to set t_Co at all.

      > I tried all things I could think of, I ended up in having
      > it as the last line of .vimrc, but it still doesn't work
      > every time. Sometimes it works, other times I get ugly
      > colors and when I check t_Co, it is set to 88 (which is
      > number of colors I specified for xterm install).

      The termcap query works asynchronously. Therefore it's unpredictable when the
      settings are done. Vim tries to get the values as soon as possible, but it
      depends on how quick xterm reacts (and how much time Vim leaves to other
      processes while it's starting up).

      The proper solution is to make sure your $TERM is set to match with the
      terminal you are actually using, which is with 88 colors. The termcap query
      feature helps you when $TERM is wrong, but it does have side effects (like
      changing t_Co at an unknown moment, which requires a complete redraw).

      60. As your car crashes through the guardrail on a mountain road, your first
      instinct is to search for the "back" button.