Re: vim 6.0* Win32 "Edit with vim popup" installation FAILS [Another Patch]

  • Jonathon M. Merz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2001
      At 01:00 PM 6/30/01 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > The workaround I am using for this is to search the path for cmd.exe,
      > and if
      > > it is found, use it explicitly, otherwise, just make the regular call for
      > > start /w.
      >
      >That sounds like it should work everywhere. If someone installed cmd.exe on
      >Win98, would it work there?

      Yes, the problem that was occurring was because there is no start.exe to be
      found by any shell except cmd.exe on NT (since start is a shell built-in
      there). On Win98, as long as cmd.exe is a shell and the path includes the
      standard Windows paths, start.exe will be found just fine and will run as we
      expect. The one potential problem would be if there is an executable in the
      path called "cmd.exe" that is not a command shell.

      > > Non-DJGPP compiles are still writing directly to the registry since that is
      > > a little cleaner at this point.
      >
      >What do you mean with "cleaner". Quite a bit of code is doubled now. You can
      >also see that the DJGPP code is a lot shorter and easier to understand.

      That's true. I guess it seemed to me that the direct registry writing was
      using
      things more "as they are meant to be used," but it does double all the
      code, and
      will require some extra work if the code ever needs to change. I'll yank out
      the registry stuff and bring everything back to the regedit method.

      > > Bram - In the interest of making dosinst.c easier to work with, Walter
      > and I
      > > were discussing the possibility of breaking it up into a number of files
      > > based on function and giving it it's own directory somewhere in the Vim
      > > source tree.
      >I rather keep it as one file. Then it's clear which code belongs to the
      >install program and not to Vim itself. Also, breaking it up into files tends
      >to be an invitation to let it grow further.
      >If the program is getting a bit large, then spend some time on making it
      >cleaner, shorter and simpler.

      Ok, that does make sense too.

      -Jon

      # And though the course may change sometimes, #
      # Rivers always reach the sea. #
      # #
      # -Led Zeppelin, Ten Years Gone #

      Jonathon M. Merz <jmerz42@...>