File explorer slowness

  • Marius Gedminas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      On my system (PII-233, Win2000, NTFS) explorer.vim takes 4 seconds to
      sort a directory with 115 files, and about 53 (!) seconds to sort a
      directory with 450 files in it. I measured the time by adding `echo
      localtime()' calls to s:SortListing() function. (BTW does VIM have a
      more fine-grained function to measure time?) is there (and 4 more
      seconds to perform other tasks). The rest of s:ShowDirectory() takes
      only about 4 seconds for that 450-file listing.

      Can something be done about that? Maybe VIM needs a builtin sort
      function to get acceptable performance? Or maybe it's the comparison
      functions that eat all the time (calling things like ExtractFileName
      repeatedly)? Does VIM have any facilities for profiling user defined
      functions?

      Marius Gedminas
      --
      Never assume the reader has read the subject line.