Re: [vimdev] gvim problem: :XY acts like :Y

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      Thus saith Bram Moolenaar:
      > Charles Campbell wrote:
      > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
      > > from appearance and action
      >
      > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
      > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
      > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

      Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
      every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
      seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
      that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
      version 11 release 6.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

      --
      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
      cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        Charles Campbell wrote:

        > > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
        > > > from appearance and action
        > >
        > > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
        > > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that
        > > this happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?
        >
        > Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
        > every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
        > seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
        > that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
        > version 11 release 6.

        The problem could be SGI related. I really can't think of a reason why this
        happens. Vim doesn't do much special when starting a ":" command line. It
        would require debugging to find out what happens.

        75. You start wondering whether you could actually upgrade your brain
        with a Pentium Pro microprocessor 80. The upgrade works just fine.