Re: gvim problem: :XY acts like :Y

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Charles Campbell wrote:
      > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
      > > from appearance and action. Example:
      > > :echo "one"
      > >
      > > shows up as
      > >
      > > :cho "one"
      > >
      > > resulting in
      > >
      > > Not an editor command: cho "one"
      >
      > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
      > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
      > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

      I tried for gvim-athena, gvim-motif, gvim-gtk,
      I can see the problem on gvim-athena and gvim-motif, not gtk.
      This is IRIX 6.5.12 (latest) but I don't think O/S has anything
      to do with it.

      Happens even if you wait 30 secs after ':'...

      ---Zdenek
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        Thus saith Bram Moolenaar:
        > Charles Campbell wrote:
        > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
        > > from appearance and action
        >
        > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
        > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
        > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

        Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
        every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
        seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
        that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
        version 11 release 6.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
        cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
          Charles Campbell wrote:

          > > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
          > > > from appearance and action
          > >
          > > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
          > > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that
          > > this happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?
          >
          > Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
          > every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
          > seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
          > that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
          > version 11 release 6.

          The problem could be SGI related. I really can't think of a reason why this
          happens. Vim doesn't do much special when starting a ":" command line. It
          would require debugging to find out what happens.

          75. You start wondering whether you could actually upgrade your brain
          with a Pentium Pro microprocessor 80. The upgrade works just fine.