Re: vim 6.0ah Make_gvc.mak non-portability

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > Until now, I have built the several flavours of Vim with Make_mvc.mak
      > using VC++5 on Windows 95. I have been in difficulty when I wanted a
      > debug version to run from the IDE. I have usually hand-crafted a file.
      > I saw a reference, earlier this week, to Make_gvc.mak and thought:
      > "That's for me!". I tried using it. VC++5 recognised it as ancient and
      > converted it to its own format. When I tried to build, several variables
      > - including CoUninitialize - were missing. I looked at the .PLG and
      > found that references to ole32.lib were not passed to the linker. I
      > corrected Make_gvc.dsp and tested. I back-fitted corresponding changes
      > to Make_gvc.mak and tested that too. I enclose a patch.

      Looks OK to me. Although you also added the "oleaut32.lib", "odbccp32.lib"
      and "odbc32.lib" libraries, I don't think these are needed

      I'll test it later. I only have Devstudio 5.0 and 4.1.

      67. Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. You start
      to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial your ISP's access
      number. You try to hum to communicate with the modem. You succeed.

    • Walter Briscoe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
        In article <200106011520.f51FKw410769@...> of Fri, 1 Jun 2001
        17:20:58 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

        >Walter Briscoe wrote:
        >
        >> Until now, I have built the several flavours of Vim with Make_mvc.mak
        >> using VC++5 on Windows 95. I have been in difficulty when I wanted a
        >> debug version to run from the IDE. I have usually hand-crafted a file.
        >> I saw a reference, earlier this week, to Make_gvc.mak and thought:
        >> "That's for me!". I tried using it. VC++5 recognised it as ancient and
        >> converted it to its own format. When I tried to build, several variables
        >> - including CoUninitialize - were missing. I looked at the .PLG and
        >> found that references to ole32.lib were not passed to the linker. I
        >> corrected Make_gvc.dsp and tested. I back-fitted corresponding changes
        >> to Make_gvc.mak and tested that too. I enclose a patch.
        >
        >Looks OK to me. Although you also added the "oleaut32.lib", "odbccp32.lib"
        >and "odbc32.lib" libraries, I don't think these are needed
        I found the work would not link. I found a subset of the libraries
        specified in the ADD BASE LINK32 was in the ADD LINK32 lines. I copied
        the differences through. I now find that only ole32.lib and uuid.lib
        were necessary. Make_gvc.mak seems to be something of a neglected
        orphan. I intend to give it some care!

        --
        Walter Briscoe