Re: gvim problem: :XY acts like :Y

  • David Harrison Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      "Charles E. Campbell" wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > For some reason (6.0ah) with (gvim -u NONE -U NONE/SGI o/s 5.3) and version:
      >
      > :version
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ah ALPHA (2001 May 27, compiled May 29 2001 12:37:24)
      > Compiled by cec@...
      > Normal version with X11-Motif GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      > +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope
      > +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path -osfiletype +find_in_path
      > +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
      > +localmap -keymap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm
      > -multi_byte +multi_lang +path_extra -perl +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
      > -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
      > +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset +xim
      > +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      > user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      > user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      > system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      > user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      > system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
      > fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
      > Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF -I/usr/include/X11 -I/usr/local/include -g
      > Linking: cc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXmu -lXext -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses
      >
      > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
      > from appearance and action. Example:
      > :echo "one"
      >
      > shows up as
      >
      > :cho "one"
      >
      > resulting in
      >
      > Not an editor command: cho "one"

      Yes, Chip, this happens for me, too. It also happens when compiled with
      the Athena GUI. It is a known problem that I would love to try to track
      down, but I'm working on the Athena menus at the moment.

      Are you running vim remotely, perhaps?

      --David Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        Charles Campbell wrote:

        > For some reason (6.0ah) with (gvim -u NONE -U NONE/SGI o/s 5.3) and version:
        >
        > :version
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ah ALPHA (2001 May 27, compiled May 29 2001 12:37:24)
        [...]
        > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
        > from appearance and action. Example:
        > :echo "one"
        >
        > shows up as
        >
        > :cho "one"
        >
        > resulting in
        >
        > Not an editor command: cho "one"

        Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
        (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
        happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

        69. Yahoo welcomes you with your own start page

      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Charles Campbell wrote:
          > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
          > > from appearance and action. Example:
          > > :echo "one"
          > >
          > > shows up as
          > >
          > > :cho "one"
          > >
          > > resulting in
          > >
          > > Not an editor command: cho "one"
          >
          > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
          > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
          > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

          I tried for gvim-athena, gvim-motif, gvim-gtk,
          I can see the problem on gvim-athena and gvim-motif, not gtk.
          This is IRIX 6.5.12 (latest) but I don't think O/S has anything
          to do with it.

          Happens even if you wait 30 secs after ':'...

          ---Zdenek
        • Charles E. Campbell
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
            Thus saith Bram Moolenaar:
            > Charles Campbell wrote:
            > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
            > > from appearance and action
            >
            > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
            > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
            > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

            Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
            every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
            seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
            that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
            version 11 release 6.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

            --
            Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
            cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
              Charles Campbell wrote:

              > > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
              > > > from appearance and action
              > >
              > > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
              > > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that
              > > this happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?
              >
              > Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
              > every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
              > seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
              > that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
              > version 11 release 6.

              The problem could be SGI related. I really can't think of a reason why this
              happens. Vim doesn't do much special when starting a ":" command line. It
              would require debugging to find out what happens.

              75. You start wondering whether you could actually upgrade your brain
              with a Pentium Pro microprocessor 80. The upgrade works just fine.