gvim problem: :XY acts like :Y

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hello!

      For some reason (6.0ah) with (gvim -u NONE -U NONE/SGI o/s 5.3) and version:

      :version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ah ALPHA (2001 May 27, compiled May 29 2001 12:37:24)
      Compiled by cec@...
      Normal version with X11-Motif GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope
      +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path -osfiletype +find_in_path
      +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
      +localmap -keymap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm
      -multi_byte +multi_lang +path_extra -perl +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
      -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
      +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset +xim
      +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
      Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF -I/usr/include/X11 -I/usr/local/include -g
      Linking: cc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXmu -lXext -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses

      the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
      from appearance and action. Example:
      :echo "one"

      shows up as

      :cho "one"

      resulting in

      Not an editor command: cho "one"

      Regards,
      C Campbell

      --
      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
      cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        "Charles E. Campbell" wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > For some reason (6.0ah) with (gvim -u NONE -U NONE/SGI o/s 5.3) and version:
        >
        > :version
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ah ALPHA (2001 May 27, compiled May 29 2001 12:37:24)
        > Compiled by cec@...
        > Normal version with X11-Motif GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        > +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope
        > +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path -osfiletype +find_in_path
        > +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
        > +localmap -keymap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm
        > -multi_byte +multi_lang +path_extra -perl +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
        > -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
        > +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset +xim
        > +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        > user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
        > user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        > system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
        > user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
        > system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
        > fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
        > Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF -I/usr/include/X11 -I/usr/local/include -g
        > Linking: cc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXmu -lXext -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses
        >
        > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
        > from appearance and action. Example:
        > :echo "one"
        >
        > shows up as
        >
        > :cho "one"
        >
        > resulting in
        >
        > Not an editor command: cho "one"

        Yes, Chip, this happens for me, too. It also happens when compiled with
        the Athena GUI. It is a known problem that I would love to try to track
        down, but I'm working on the Athena menus at the moment.

        Are you running vim remotely, perhaps?

        --David Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
          Charles Campbell wrote:

          > For some reason (6.0ah) with (gvim -u NONE -U NONE/SGI o/s 5.3) and version:
          >
          > :version
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0ah ALPHA (2001 May 27, compiled May 29 2001 12:37:24)
          [...]
          > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
          > from appearance and action. Example:
          > :echo "one"
          >
          > shows up as
          >
          > :cho "one"
          >
          > resulting in
          >
          > Not an editor command: cho "one"

          Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
          (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
          happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

          69. Yahoo welcomes you with your own start page

        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Charles Campbell wrote:
            > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
            > > from appearance and action. Example:
            > > :echo "one"
            > >
            > > shows up as
            > >
            > > :cho "one"
            > >
            > > resulting in
            > >
            > > Not an editor command: cho "one"
            >
            > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
            > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
            > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

            I tried for gvim-athena, gvim-motif, gvim-gtk,
            I can see the problem on gvim-athena and gvim-motif, not gtk.
            This is IRIX 6.5.12 (latest) but I don't think O/S has anything
            to do with it.

            Happens even if you wait 30 secs after ':'...

            ---Zdenek
          • Charles E. Campbell
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
              Thus saith Bram Moolenaar:
              > Charles Campbell wrote:
              > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
              > > from appearance and action
              >
              > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
              > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that this
              > happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?

              Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
              every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
              seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
              that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
              version 11 release 6.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell

              --
              Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
              cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
                Charles Campbell wrote:

                > > > the first character following the colon is routinely dropped, both
                > > > from appearance and action
                > >
                > > Someone else reported this a while ago. But it works fine for most people
                > > (including me). Any idea what is so special about your environment that
                > > this happens? What happens if you wait a little while after hitting ":"?
                >
                > Waiting (up to ten seconds, anyway) has no effect; the first letter of
                > every command following the colon is dropped. Waiting (up to ten
                > seconds again) *after* the key is pressed also has no effect. Given
                > that my SGI isn't exactly new, my X is likely a bit old, too:
                > version 11 release 6.

                The problem could be SGI related. I really can't think of a reason why this
                happens. Vim doesn't do much special when starting a ":" command line. It
                would require debugging to find out what happens.

                75. You start wondering whether you could actually upgrade your brain
                with a Pentium Pro microprocessor 80. The upgrade works just fine.