Re: lighten my darkness - vim 60ah Win95 dosbox and UNIX vim -d color selection

  • Walter Briscoe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      In article <200106011102.f51B2ld06082@...> of Fri, 1 Jun 2001
      13:02:47 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

      >Walter Briscoe wrote:
      >
      >> See the attachment for version information.
      >
      >32 bit MS-DOS, that's compiled with DJGPP. I think there was a problem of
      >this version clearing the screen when starting up. I'm not sure if this can
      >be avoided when starting in Ex mode. I'll put this in the todo list.
      >
      >> BTW. --version does not write to stdout and, so, is not redirectable to a
      >> file. I guess it writes to stderr.
      >
      >Yes, you need to redirect stderr.
      As W9X shells do not provide the ability to redirect stderr, I suggest
      the ports to those "operating systems" should write --version output to
      stdout. The same does not apply to NTX where the shell is cmd. However,
      I think it would do no harm in that case.

      >> >Vim can transform a color name into a color number, but this is guessing,
      >> >since you can change the colors in various ways (with X resources, for
      >> >example). The transformation in the other direction isn't reliable for this
      >> >reason, thus it's not done. Also, when using an xterm with 88 or 256 colors,
      >> >many numbers don't have a name.
      >> Then, I would be happier with a number and a name if available. If the
      >> mapping of names to numbers is many to one, pick the first. Where is
      >> this coded?
      >
      >Showing both a number and the most probably color name? Would be useful.
      >This is in the highlight_list_one() function.
      >
      >[long text of experiments removed]
      >
      >> O.K. Setting t_Co=16 causes LightBlue and DarkBlue to be distinguished.
      >> However, I seem to only have 8 background colours on the telnet client
      >> which actually drives my screen.
      >> I have hacked in a hi DiffAdd with ctermbg=Black which deals with the
      >> immediate concern.
      >
      >I'm not sure if I understand all of this. Was the conclusion that Vim wasn't
      >wrong, but the problem was caused by light and dark blue being the same color?

      Yes! That is the conclusion.
      --
      Walter Briscoe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Walter Briscoe wrote:

        > >> BTW. --version does not write to stdout and, so, is not redirectable to a
        > >> file. I guess it writes to stderr.
        > >
        > >Yes, you need to redirect stderr.
        > As W9X shells do not provide the ability to redirect stderr, I suggest
        > the ports to those "operating systems" should write --version output to
        > stdout. The same does not apply to NTX where the shell is cmd. However,
        > I think it would do no harm in that case.

        You can redirect stderr in theory. Command.com can't though.

        It's not easy to send the message to stdout, because the ":version" command
        uses the same code.

        68. Your cat always puts viruses on your dogs homepage