RE: vim 6.0ah Make_gvc.mak non-portability

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 6:09 AM
      Walter Briscoe [SMTP:wbriscoe@...]:
      > It may NOT work on VC++4.2.

      Actually, the baseline system it needs to
      work on is VC4.1, since that was the last version
      to support Win32s. I don't think there were any changes
      between 4.1 and 4.2 with respect to the makefile/dsp
      format but just to be on the safe side...

      BTW, your attachments always come out garbled here
      (probably our Exchange server's fault) Can you get
      Turnpike to use MIME instead for your Windows-related
      attachments?

      Vince
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 8:20 AM
        Walter Briscoe wrote:

        > Until now, I have built the several flavours of Vim with Make_mvc.mak
        > using VC++5 on Windows 95. I have been in difficulty when I wanted a
        > debug version to run from the IDE. I have usually hand-crafted a file.
        > I saw a reference, earlier this week, to Make_gvc.mak and thought:
        > "That's for me!". I tried using it. VC++5 recognised it as ancient and
        > converted it to its own format. When I tried to build, several variables
        > - including CoUninitialize - were missing. I looked at the .PLG and
        > found that references to ole32.lib were not passed to the linker. I
        > corrected Make_gvc.dsp and tested. I back-fitted corresponding changes
        > to Make_gvc.mak and tested that too. I enclose a patch.

        Looks OK to me. Although you also added the "oleaut32.lib", "odbccp32.lib"
        and "odbc32.lib" libraries, I don't think these are needed

        I'll test it later. I only have Devstudio 5.0 and 4.1.

        67. Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. You start
        to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial your ISP's access
        number. You try to hum to communicate with the modem. You succeed.

      • Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4 2:54 AM
          In article <200106011520.f51FKw410769@...> of Fri, 1 Jun 2001
          17:20:58 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

          >Walter Briscoe wrote:
          >
          >> Until now, I have built the several flavours of Vim with Make_mvc.mak
          >> using VC++5 on Windows 95. I have been in difficulty when I wanted a
          >> debug version to run from the IDE. I have usually hand-crafted a file.
          >> I saw a reference, earlier this week, to Make_gvc.mak and thought:
          >> "That's for me!". I tried using it. VC++5 recognised it as ancient and
          >> converted it to its own format. When I tried to build, several variables
          >> - including CoUninitialize - were missing. I looked at the .PLG and
          >> found that references to ole32.lib were not passed to the linker. I
          >> corrected Make_gvc.dsp and tested. I back-fitted corresponding changes
          >> to Make_gvc.mak and tested that too. I enclose a patch.
          >
          >Looks OK to me. Although you also added the "oleaut32.lib", "odbccp32.lib"
          >and "odbc32.lib" libraries, I don't think these are needed
          I found the work would not link. I found a subset of the libraries
          specified in the ADD BASE LINK32 was in the ADD LINK32 lines. I copied
          the differences through. I now find that only ole32.lib and uuid.lib
          were necessary. Make_gvc.mak seems to be something of a neglected
          orphan. I intend to give it some care!

          --
          Walter Briscoe