Re: 60ah: some folding issues

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      Pritesh Mistry wrote:

      > Q1: I find too bad one cannot click on that fold line and open it
      > (or maybe just on that '+' in col 1, that would be nice.
      >
      > Ans: You can, in the foldcolumn.

      Yes, I know, but why do I need to set fdc != 0 for this?
      Why shouldn't be sufficient to click on the existing '+'
      (or actually even better *anywhere* on the folded line)?

      > ======================
      >
      > Q2: I have to now click *twice* on the leading '+' to open that fold,
      > first click seems to be doing something but I can't grasp what.
      > Why twice?
      >
      > Q3: When I open it, there is no way I can find to close it again
      > just by a mouse click. Why?
      >
      > Ans: You can. Hope you have the mouse properly set up! With my
      > gvim60af/win2k, it takes only a single click to open & close
      > the folds.
      >
      > =======================
      >
      > Q4: what state does it show? I can't see what happened (yes, I can see
      > the '+ ' has changed to '-+' but otherwise the screen appearance
      > hasn't changed, but it's trying to tell me something, what?)
      >
      > Ans: I think your 11 line code has two indents, hence taking an extra
      > click to open up the second. As you can see, the first + has
      > become -.
      >
      > ======================
      >
      > Q5: we jump from level two to level 4 directly.
      > Where is the level 3 fold ????
      >
      > Ans: Same reason as Q4. Check your shiftwidth/tabstop.
      >
      > =========================

      I think I understand now, first click opens a fold that I cannot
      se...., hmmmm...

      Right right, my sw=4 and ts=8, but there is no code at sw=4 to
      fold! What I am saying is this, with these settings my example
      code starts at col:1, col:9, col:17, that's beginning of line,
      2*sw+1, 4*sw+1, so from two things one: either I should see
      indents marked levels 1 3 5 (those in between are invisible since
      there is no code there but the algorithm creats them because it's
      based on the sw), or there should be marked 1, 2, 3 which
      is actually what can be really *seen* on the screen (when you
      look at those folds, you can see only 3). I would understand both
      approaches (and reasons for them and wouldn't mind either) should
      this numbering be consistent, but is it?

      > Q7: this will close *all* folds. Is that correct?
      >
      > Ans: I think, you could best stick to fdc=2 to avoid the confusion.
      > Or, may be you could set the fdc to max indent + 1 & see the
      > display, if that could explain.

      Well, I am not sure if the behaviour should depend on fdc.
      One can reproduce it with different ones. I think fdc=3 actually
      shows it the best. Why does it close all folds? Maybe there is
      a reason but I don't see it.

      Thanks!

      ---Zdenek
    • Pritesh Mistry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        Yes, I know, but why do I need to set fdc != 0 for this?
        Why shouldn't be sufficient to click on the existing '+'
        (or actually even better *anywhere* on the folded line)?

        > ======================

        Me!: May be that's not the best way of doing it. Because many people
        would prefer to select the contents of the folds with the mouse in
        order to cut/copy it.

        I feel the closest that you could get with this is - click with
        your mouse to position the cursor on the fold & use <space> to
        open it with your other hand.

        HTH!
        Pritesh
      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
          Pritesh Mistry wrote:

          > Yes, I know, but why do I need to set fdc != 0 for this?
          > Why shouldn't be sufficient to click on the existing '+'
          > (or actually even better *anywhere* on the folded line)?

          > Me!: May be that's not the best way of doing it. Because many people
          > would prefer to select the contents of the folds with the mouse in
          > order to cut/copy it.
          >
          > I feel the closest that you could get with this is - click with
          > your mouse to position the cursor on the fold & use <space> to
          > open it with your other hand.

          Oh thanks! This is great, didn't know it, thanks for a hint,
          I like it!

          ---Zdenek