Re: lighten my darkness - vim 60ah Win95 dosbox and UNIX vim -d color selection

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > See the attachment for version information.

      32 bit MS-DOS, that's compiled with DJGPP. I think there was a problem of
      this version clearing the screen when starting up. I'm not sure if this can
      be avoided when starting in Ex mode. I'll put this in the todo list.

      > BTW. --version does not write to stdout and, so, is not redirectable to a
      > file. I guess it writes to stderr.

      Yes, you need to redirect stderr.

      > >Vim can transform a color name into a color number, but this is guessing,
      > >since you can change the colors in various ways (with X resources, for
      > >example). The transformation in the other direction isn't reliable for this
      > >reason, thus it's not done. Also, when using an xterm with 88 or 256 colors,
      > >many numbers don't have a name.
      > Then, I would be happier with a number and a name if available. If the
      > mapping of names to numbers is many to one, pick the first. Where is
      > this coded?

      Showing both a number and the most probably color name? Would be useful.
      This is in the highlight_list_one() function.

      [long text of experiments removed]

      > O.K. Setting t_Co=16 causes LightBlue and DarkBlue to be distinguished.
      > However, I seem to only have 8 background colours on the telnet client
      > which actually drives my screen.
      > I have hacked in a hi DiffAdd with ctermbg=Black which deals with the
      > immediate concern.

      I'm not sure if I understand all of this. Was the conclusion that Vim wasn't
      wrong, but the problem was caused by light and dark blue being the same color?

      64. The remote to the T.V. is missing...and you don't even care.

    • Walter Briscoe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        In article <200106011102.f51B2ld06082@...> of Fri, 1 Jun 2001
        13:02:47 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

        >Walter Briscoe wrote:
        >
        >> See the attachment for version information.
        >
        >32 bit MS-DOS, that's compiled with DJGPP. I think there was a problem of
        >this version clearing the screen when starting up. I'm not sure if this can
        >be avoided when starting in Ex mode. I'll put this in the todo list.
        >
        >> BTW. --version does not write to stdout and, so, is not redirectable to a
        >> file. I guess it writes to stderr.
        >
        >Yes, you need to redirect stderr.
        As W9X shells do not provide the ability to redirect stderr, I suggest
        the ports to those "operating systems" should write --version output to
        stdout. The same does not apply to NTX where the shell is cmd. However,
        I think it would do no harm in that case.

        >> >Vim can transform a color name into a color number, but this is guessing,
        >> >since you can change the colors in various ways (with X resources, for
        >> >example). The transformation in the other direction isn't reliable for this
        >> >reason, thus it's not done. Also, when using an xterm with 88 or 256 colors,
        >> >many numbers don't have a name.
        >> Then, I would be happier with a number and a name if available. If the
        >> mapping of names to numbers is many to one, pick the first. Where is
        >> this coded?
        >
        >Showing both a number and the most probably color name? Would be useful.
        >This is in the highlight_list_one() function.
        >
        >[long text of experiments removed]
        >
        >> O.K. Setting t_Co=16 causes LightBlue and DarkBlue to be distinguished.
        >> However, I seem to only have 8 background colours on the telnet client
        >> which actually drives my screen.
        >> I have hacked in a hi DiffAdd with ctermbg=Black which deals with the
        >> immediate concern.
        >
        >I'm not sure if I understand all of this. Was the conclusion that Vim wasn't
        >wrong, but the problem was caused by light and dark blue being the same color?

        Yes! That is the conclusion.
        --
        Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Walter Briscoe wrote:

          > >> BTW. --version does not write to stdout and, so, is not redirectable to a
          > >> file. I guess it writes to stderr.
          > >
          > >Yes, you need to redirect stderr.
          > As W9X shells do not provide the ability to redirect stderr, I suggest
          > the ports to those "operating systems" should write --version output to
          > stdout. The same does not apply to NTX where the shell is cmd. However,
          > I think it would do no harm in that case.

          You can redirect stderr in theory. Command.com can't though.

          It's not easy to send the message to stdout, because the ":version" command
          uses the same code.

          68. Your cat always puts viruses on your dogs homepage