RE: 60ah: some folding issues

  • Pritesh Mistry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      Q1: I find too bad one cannot click on that fold line and open it
      (or maybe just on that '+' in col 1, that would be nice.

      Ans: You can, in the foldcolumn.

      ======================

      Q2: I have to now click *twice* on the leading '+' to open that fold,
      first click seems to be doing something but I can't grasp what.
      Why twice?

      Q3: When I open it, there is no way I can find to close it again
      just by a mouse click. Why?

      Ans: You can. Hope you have the mouse properly set up! With my
      gvim60af/win2k, it takes only a single click to open & close
      the folds.

      =======================

      Q4: what state does it show? I can't see what happened (yes, I can see
      the '+ ' has changed to '-+' but otherwise the screen appearance
      hasn't changed, but it's trying to tell me something, what?)

      Ans: I think your 11 line code has two indents, hence taking an extra
      click to open up the second. As you can see, the first + has
      become -.

      ======================

      Q5: we jump from level two to level 4 directly.
      Where is the level 3 fold ????

      Ans: Same reason as Q4. Check your shiftwidth/tabstop.

      =========================

      Q6: there seem to be some showing of level 3 (which I would think
      to be correct) but I can't see why we are getting level 4.

      Ans: Same reason as Q4. Check your shiftwidth/tabstop.

      ===========================

      Q7: this will close *all* folds. Is that correct?

      Ans: I think, you could best stick to fdc=2 to avoid the confusion.
      Or, may be you could set the fdc to max indent + 1 & see the
      display, if that could explain.

      HTH!
      Pritesh
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        Pritesh Mistry wrote:

        > Q1: I find too bad one cannot click on that fold line and open it
        > (or maybe just on that '+' in col 1, that would be nice.
        >
        > Ans: You can, in the foldcolumn.

        Yes, I know, but why do I need to set fdc != 0 for this?
        Why shouldn't be sufficient to click on the existing '+'
        (or actually even better *anywhere* on the folded line)?

        > ======================
        >
        > Q2: I have to now click *twice* on the leading '+' to open that fold,
        > first click seems to be doing something but I can't grasp what.
        > Why twice?
        >
        > Q3: When I open it, there is no way I can find to close it again
        > just by a mouse click. Why?
        >
        > Ans: You can. Hope you have the mouse properly set up! With my
        > gvim60af/win2k, it takes only a single click to open & close
        > the folds.
        >
        > =======================
        >
        > Q4: what state does it show? I can't see what happened (yes, I can see
        > the '+ ' has changed to '-+' but otherwise the screen appearance
        > hasn't changed, but it's trying to tell me something, what?)
        >
        > Ans: I think your 11 line code has two indents, hence taking an extra
        > click to open up the second. As you can see, the first + has
        > become -.
        >
        > ======================
        >
        > Q5: we jump from level two to level 4 directly.
        > Where is the level 3 fold ????
        >
        > Ans: Same reason as Q4. Check your shiftwidth/tabstop.
        >
        > =========================

        I think I understand now, first click opens a fold that I cannot
        se...., hmmmm...

        Right right, my sw=4 and ts=8, but there is no code at sw=4 to
        fold! What I am saying is this, with these settings my example
        code starts at col:1, col:9, col:17, that's beginning of line,
        2*sw+1, 4*sw+1, so from two things one: either I should see
        indents marked levels 1 3 5 (those in between are invisible since
        there is no code there but the algorithm creats them because it's
        based on the sw), or there should be marked 1, 2, 3 which
        is actually what can be really *seen* on the screen (when you
        look at those folds, you can see only 3). I would understand both
        approaches (and reasons for them and wouldn't mind either) should
        this numbering be consistent, but is it?

        > Q7: this will close *all* folds. Is that correct?
        >
        > Ans: I think, you could best stick to fdc=2 to avoid the confusion.
        > Or, may be you could set the fdc to max indent + 1 & see the
        > display, if that could explain.

        Well, I am not sure if the behaviour should depend on fdc.
        One can reproduce it with different ones. I think fdc=3 actually
        shows it the best. Why does it close all folds? Maybe there is
        a reason but I don't see it.

        Thanks!

        ---Zdenek
      • Pritesh Mistry
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
          Yes, I know, but why do I need to set fdc != 0 for this?
          Why shouldn't be sufficient to click on the existing '+'
          (or actually even better *anywhere* on the folded line)?

          > ======================

          Me!: May be that's not the best way of doing it. Because many people
          would prefer to select the contents of the folds with the mouse in
          order to cut/copy it.

          I feel the closest that you could get with this is - click with
          your mouse to position the cursor on the fold & use <space> to
          open it with your other hand.

          HTH!
          Pritesh
        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
            Pritesh Mistry wrote:

            > Yes, I know, but why do I need to set fdc != 0 for this?
            > Why shouldn't be sufficient to click on the existing '+'
            > (or actually even better *anywhere* on the folded line)?

            > Me!: May be that's not the best way of doing it. Because many people
            > would prefer to select the contents of the folds with the mouse in
            > order to cut/copy it.
            >
            > I feel the closest that you could get with this is - click with
            > your mouse to position the cursor on the fold & use <space> to
            > open it with your other hand.

            Oh thanks! This is great, didn't know it, thanks for a hint,
            I like it!

            ---Zdenek