Re: Two Small GUI problems in Vim 6.0ah

    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2001
      Thore B. Karlsen wrote:

      > Why is it ever needed, though? Does a window that is not a multiple of
      > the character width/height cause any problems with the rendering of the
      > text? IMHO it's better to have some blank space within the window where
      > there isn't enough room for a whole row or column of characters than to
      > give up freedom when it comes to resizing the window. I haven't seen any
      > other Windows editors behave like this, with the exception of Emacs.

      I think you are looking at this from the wrong way. Suppose a user wants to
      resize his window, making the text area e.g., 80 characters wide. Then he
      doesn't want that extra gap of white space on the right. Resizing with a
      roundoff to the character cell size makes this possible.

      Note that many programs have this roundoff. Xterm, for example. Perhaps it's
      less common on MS-Windows, because there is no standard setting for it and
      programmers are lazy.

      When the window is maximized it should occupy the whole screen. The roundoff
      should then be inside the Vim window, not outside like it is now.

      --
      A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2001
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > One might desire an option (Oh no! NOT another Option!!) for automatically
        > adding the left scrollbar when there are vertically split windows.
        >
        > Ah, we could add a flag in 'guioptions' for that. That's not really a new
        > option, right?

        Very much so! :-)
        That would be a useful goption IMHO.

        ---Zdenek
      • Thore B. Karlsen
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2001
          On Thu, 31 May 2001 12:37:16 +0200, you wrote:

          >> Why is it ever needed, though? Does a window that is not a multiple of
          >> the character width/height cause any problems with the rendering of the
          >> text? IMHO it's better to have some blank space within the window where
          >> there isn't enough room for a whole row or column of characters than to
          >> give up freedom when it comes to resizing the window. I haven't seen any
          >> other Windows editors behave like this, with the exception of Emacs.

          >I think you are looking at this from the wrong way. Suppose a user wants to
          >resize his window, making the text area e.g., 80 characters wide. Then he
          >doesn't want that extra gap of white space on the right.

          Actually, I do want that extra gap. :) I prefer the window being the
          size I tell it to be, because that is more consistent with the way other
          Windows programs behave. The extra gap doesn't bother me.

          It's not a big deal to me personally, but if I had a choice I'd prefer
          it if Vim didn't try to enforce any resizing rules. Sometimes I let
          Windows tile the Windows on the screen, and Vim and Emacs (back when I
          used it) stick out like turds in a punchbowl because they don't resize
          like other Windows programs do.

          But like I said, this is no big deal. I compile my own versions, so I
          can just comment out the resizing code. It's probably good to have the
          code there for those who do prefer this behavior.

          --
          "By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
          he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

          7777772e63732e7574657861732e6564752f75736572732f65696768746269742f
        • Daniel Einspanjer
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2001
            On Thu, 31 May 2001 12:37:15 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            Daniel Einspanjer wrote:

            >> Given all this, unless I am missing an option in the docs for :h
            >> vs, there is no way to get this left side scrollbar without
            >> first opening a file-explorer, and there is no way to go back to
            >> just one bar without restarting gvim. Am I wrong with either of
            >> these two statements?

            >Use the menu entry Edit/Global Settings/Toggle Left Scrollbar. This actually
            >adds or removes the 'l' flags from the 'guioptions' option.

            >One might desire an option (Oh no! NOT another Option!!) for automatically
            >adding the left scrollbar when there are vertically split windows.

            >Ah, we could add a flag in 'guioptions' for that. That's not really a new
            >option, right?

            I think the guioption flag would be very useful and I will likely use it, but do you think that if there is only one window visible that there should be only one scrollbar?

            -- Daniel Einspanjer, daniel-ml@... on 05/31/2001