RE: 6.0ac - 'autoread' is global, should be buffer-specific

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      Paul Moore wrote:

      > From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
      > > Nevertheless, I'm not completely happy with the local option.
      > > All other global-local options are strings. You can make them
      > > empty to switch back to using the global value. But for a
      > > boolean option that is not possible. Once you have set the
      > > local value, you can't go back to using the global one.
      > > It would require a new command to get around that...
      >
      > Could you (mis-)use :set autoread& for that?
      >
      > In some sense, the global value is the "default" for a global-local
      > option...

      Well, ":set autoread&" actually means to set the global value back to the
      default (which is "off"). Thus I would at least expect it to change the
      global value. But we could use:

      :setlocal autoread&

      This would reset the local value to off, but we can use it to reset it to the
      global value instead. If you want to switch autoread off locally, you can
      just do that.

      --
      The Feynman problem solving Algorithm:
      1) Write down the problem