Re: new color schemes ...

  • Thomas Köhler
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 09:11:07AM -0700,
      Ron Aaron <raaron@...> wrote:
      > Hi all!
      >
      > I knew there was a good reason to hold onto old scripts! Attached find a
      > bunch of color schemes, which I collected a year or so ago. I've updated them
      > to be stuck into the 'colors' directory.

      Fine :-)
      Hey, even my own scheme is still there, very fine :-)

      But one slight problem:

      Error detected while processing modelines:
      Unknown option: vim

      (this is in all files)
      The problem is a line like this:
      " vim: tw=0 ts=4 vim: sw=4
      ^^^^
      That underlined part should just be removed ;-)

      > Best regards,
      > Ron

      CU,
      Thomas

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        =?Iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_k=F6hler?= <jean-luc@...> writes:
        >Fine :-)
        >Hey, even my own scheme is still there, very fine :-)

        I don't throw away anything :-0

        >But one slight problem:
        >
        >Error detected while processing modelines:
        >Unknown option: vim

        Very curious, that in my particular setup I don't see that error (but I agree
        the modeline should be changed!)

        Thanks,
        Ron
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2001
          Ron Aaron wrote:

          > I knew there was a good reason to hold onto old scripts! Attached find a
          > bunch of color schemes, which I collected a year or so ago. I've updated
          > them to be stuck into the 'colors' directory.

          Can you check these schemes for:
          - 'hlsearch' (in elflord it's invisible)
          - status line (nothing in elflord, pablo, zellner)
          - cursor (in elflord, zellner and pablo it's invisible)
          - modeline containing "vim:" twice
          - not using hard coded escape sequences (astronaut)
          - setting cterm colors similar to GUI colors

          I should probably write a README for this.

          26. You check your mail. It says "no new messages." So you check it again.

        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2001
            Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
            >Ron Aaron wrote:
            >> I've updated them to be stuck into the 'colors' directory.
            >Can you check these schemes for:
            >- 'hlsearch' (in elflord it's invisible)
            ... etc ...

            Bram,

            Looking at 'elflord' for example, it simply doesn't set hlsearch at all.
            Shouldn't it be the case that after a 'hi clear' we should be back to the
            'default' settings? Or at least, 'hi default *' or something similar.

            The problem seems to be that after 'hi clear', all highlighting is completely
            gone, so we have to set all highlight groups again. Really what most people
            want is to tweak this or that setting, and not to care about *every* possible
            highlight group -- especially when we add new ones, then every script has to
            change.

            My old scripts for the color schemes set a 'default' color scheme; this
            worked, but also had to be updated every time a new hi group turned up. Very
            messy. Not that I'm complaining or anything ...

            Best regards,
            Ron
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2001
              Ron Aaron wrote:

              > Looking at 'elflord' for example, it simply doesn't set hlsearch at all.
              > Shouldn't it be the case that after a 'hi clear' we should be back to the
              > 'default' settings? Or at least, 'hi default *' or something similar.

              It would be possible that ":hi clear" loads the defaults, after clearing
              everything. There is the danger that when a new group is added to the
              default, the color file doesn't change it and it will look ugly. But not
              having any highlighting is probably worse.

              Alternative: put this line at the top of the color scheme script, instead of
              the ":hi clear":

              colors default

              Disadvantage: For the groups that you change the colors for must set _all_
              colors. You can't set only the background, because the default may have set a
              foreground to an unknown color.

              For example, the "morning" scheme currently contains:

              hi ModeMsg term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold

              When starting with the default colors instead of nothing, it should be changed
              to:

              hi ModeMsg term=bold cterm=bold ctermfg=NONE ctermbg=NONE gui=bold guifg=NONE guibg=NONE

              > The problem seems to be that after 'hi clear', all highlighting is completely
              > gone, so we have to set all highlight groups again. Really what most people
              > want is to tweak this or that setting, and not to care about *every* possible
              > highlight group -- especially when we add new ones, then every script has to
              > change.

              That is unavoidable. If a new group is added, for example like when Diff
              groups were added, it often depends on the other colors. Not setting it will
              make the highlighting look wrong.

              > My old scripts for the color schemes set a 'default' color scheme; this
              > worked, but also had to be updated every time a new hi group turned up. Very
              > messy. Not that I'm complaining or anything ...

              The maintainer should be prepared to do maintenance on the color schemes.
              It's not difficult to add a line to the file.

              --
              Give a man a computer program and you give him a headache,
              but teach him to program computers and you give him the power

            • Ron Aaron
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2001
                Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
                >Ron Aaron wrote:
                >> Shouldn't it be the case that after a 'hi clear' we should be back to the
                >> 'default' settings?
                >
                >It would be possible that ":hi clear" loads the defaults, after clearing
                >everything. There is the danger that when a new group is added to the
                >default, the color file doesn't change it and it will look ugly. But not
                >having any highlighting is probably worse.

                Personally, I think this is the correct behaviour, since it is hard to imagine
                a situation where really having *no* highlighting at all is useful.

                >Alternative: put this line at the top of the color scheme script, instead of
                >the ":hi clear":
                >
                > colors default
                >
                >Disadvantage: For the groups that you change the colors for must set _all_
                >colors. You can't set only the background, because the default may have set a
                >foreground to an unknown color.

                Also, it doesn't work without a 'default.vim' in the colors directory! And
                too, it would be more time consuming that just setting the colors in code
                (but it would be much more flexible for you to change systemwide defaults.

                Best regards,
                Ron
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2001
                  Ron Aaron wrote:

                  > >> Shouldn't it be the case that after a 'hi clear' we should be back to the
                  > >> 'default' settings?
                  > >
                  > >It would be possible that ":hi clear" loads the defaults, after clearing
                  > >everything. There is the danger that when a new group is added to the
                  > >default, the color file doesn't change it and it will look ugly. But not
                  > >having any highlighting is probably worse.
                  >
                  > Personally, I think this is the correct behaviour, since it is hard to
                  > imagine a situation where really having *no* highlighting at all is useful.

                  True, an ugly color is better than no color.

                  > >Alternative: put this line at the top of the color scheme script, instead of
                  > >the ":hi clear":
                  > >
                  > > colors default
                  > >
                  > >Disadvantage: For the groups that you change the colors for must set _all_
                  > >colors. You can't set only the background, because the default may have set a
                  > >foreground to an unknown color.
                  >
                  > Also, it doesn't work without a 'default.vim' in the colors directory! And
                  > too, it would be more time consuming that just setting the colors in code
                  > (but it would be much more flexible for you to change systemwide defaults.

                  Well, since it's not really a _huge_ change (see below), I'll make ":hi clear"
                  reset everything to the default colors. The default.vim script can use this,
                  also to make sure that it's really equal to the startup colors. You lose the
                  example file then...

                  *** syntax.c~ Tue May 1 17:37:37 2001
                  --- syntax.c Wed May 2 19:30:44 2001
                  ***************
                  *** 6011,6020 ****
                  if (ends_excmd(*line))
                  {
                  /*
                  ! * clear all highlight groups
                  */
                  for (idx = 0; idx < highlight_ga.ga_len; ++idx)
                  highlight_clear(idx);
                  #ifdef FEAT_GUI
                  if (gui.in_use)
                  highlight_gui_started();
                  --- 6011,6021 ----
                  if (ends_excmd(*line))
                  {
                  /*
                  ! * Clear all highlight groups and load the defaults.
                  */
                  for (idx = 0; idx < highlight_ga.ga_len; ++idx)
                  highlight_clear(idx);
                  + init_highlight(TRUE);
                  #ifdef FEAT_GUI
                  if (gui.in_use)
                  highlight_gui_started();

                  45. You buy a Captain Kirk chair with a built-in keyboard and mouse.